RV.Net Open Roads Forum: how long let b sit before starting

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

 > how long let b sit before starting

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gerrym51

unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2007

View Profile



Posted: 02/22/15 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JupiterRT wrote:

I use a Battery Tender Solar panel...works great.




do you use the obd-2 connection

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/22/15 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are storing it in the winter, depending on where you live, solar may not be very reliable. I would imagine Boston hasn't seen enough sun to charge much of anything.

Fastpaddler

Vancouver Island,BC

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/15 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gerrym51 wrote:

I'm getting a zion(roadtrek promastr).

i will have to store away from the house.

anyone do this and have problems starting the van after-1 week,2 weeks,3 weeks etc.

if you have no outside power hookup do you use a solar battery tender
etc.

i will have no problem going once a week to start the van but i wonder if people go longer and can still start it without using other charge methods.

thanks


I use a small Coleman solar panel trickle charger plugged into my 12v accessory socket. I may start the Rv once a month or less. I have the original 7 yr old MB battery in the Sprinter and it is always bright and perky and starts so the solar trickle charger obviously works.
AL

1775

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 09/30/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/22/15 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run the generator for two hours in the middle of every month (per Onan recommendation) and then plug in to shore power for 12 hours to bring the batteries up to full charge at the end of every month. It is on a schedule kept on my calendar with reminders. In the winter - like now - with unbelievable cold I go out and start the van engine in between and let it run 20 - 30 minutes. In the cold the batteries run down much faster. I keep an eye on them and if I can I plug in more frequently.

Gerry - is there a solar package for the Zion and did you get it? The RT solar package should keep the batteries charged with just daylight (according to RT).


Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

gerrym51

unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2007

View Profile



Posted: 02/23/15 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1775 wrote:

I run the generator for two hours in the middle of every month (per Onan recommendation) and then plug in to shore power for 12 hours to bring the batteries up to full charge at the end of every month. It is on a schedule kept on my calendar with reminders. In the winter - like now - with unbelievable cold I go out and start the van engine in between and let it run 20 - 30 minutes. In the cold the batteries run down much faster. I keep an eye on them and if I can I plug in more frequently.

Gerry - is there a solar package for the Zion and did you get it? The RT solar package should keep the batteries charged with just daylight (according to RT).


Robert-i got the 200 watt solar package-i don't think it keeps house battery charged- i guess i will ask

I also got the ONAN generator. the zions battery although it has 400 in it's name is actually a 186 amp tppl agm(about equal to 220 amps hour 12 volt battery) the extra alternator seemed overkill for 186 amp battery

* This post was edited 02/23/15 08:14am by gerrym51 *

gerrym51

unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2007

View Profile



Posted: 02/23/15 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Roadtrek wrote:

If you are storing it in the winter, depending on where you live, solar may not be very reliable. I would imagine Boston hasn't seen enough sun to charge much of anything.


Rodger-of course you are correct-i still intend to start up and RUN every 2 weeks.

I found some obd2 port solar panels. I will use it also.

since i found that promaster 21 day blurb in the manual i am more confident once every 2 weeks will be sufficient

thanks

1775

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 09/30/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/23/15 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gerry - I saw on FB that you got your answer from RT. The solar package will keep all batteries charged including the engine battery. Really good to have that confirmed!

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/23/15 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gerrym51 wrote:

My Roadtrek wrote:

If you are storing it in the winter, depending on where you live, solar may not be very reliable. I would imagine Boston hasn't seen enough sun to charge much of anything.


Rodger-of course you are correct-i still intend to start up and RUN every 2 weeks.

I found some obd2 port solar panels. I will use it also.

since i found that promaster 21 day blurb in the manual i am more confident once every 2 weeks will be sufficient

thanks


Just keep in mind the colder the weather the faster the battery will discharge.
I also know Rt claims their solar panels will charge with no sun, what they don't say is how much. Probably not an issue in you situation.
Before I forget congratulations on the Zion.

gerrym51

unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2007

View Profile



Posted: 02/24/15 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1775 wrote:

Gerry - I saw on FB that you got your answer from RT. The solar package will keep all batteries charged including the engine battery. Really good to have that confirmed!


Robert- roadtrek installs the surepower 1315-200 on its vans.

* This post was edited 02/24/15 10:56am by gerrym51 *

gerrym51

unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2007

View Profile



Posted: 02/24/15 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Roadtrek wrote:

gerrym51 wrote:

My Roadtrek wrote:

If you are storing it in the winter, depending on where you live, solar may not be very reliable. I would imagine Boston hasn't seen enough sun to charge much of anything.


Rodger-of course you are correct-i still intend to start up and RUN every 2 weeks.

I found some obd2 port solar panels. I will use it also.

since i found that promaster 21 day blurb in the manual i am more confident once every 2 weeks will be sufficient

thanks


Just keep in mind the colder the weather the faster the battery will discharge.
I also know Rt claims their solar panels will charge with no sun, what they don't say is how much. Probably not an issue in you situation.
Before I forget congratulations on the Zion.



thanks Rodger-also Roadtrek seems to have stopped that claim. at least it's not listed like that on all models.I don't think in new england that solar panels are a panacea-however not having to bother with a solar trickle charger seems aok.

i'd rather use the OBD2 port with the new verizonvehicle service.

it's sort of like Onstar from verizon and will work with any vehicle that has an OBD2 port. since all vehicles since 1996 have one i think i'm safe

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

 > how long let b sit before starting
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.