RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Help....i have a few stupid questions....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Help....i have a few stupid questions....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/02 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lilbear,
I sure did not mean to make it confusing with my previous post. It sounds like you have a standard weight distributing hitch without sway control. You DO need sway control and should not tow without it -regardless of your previous good experience. You never know when some idiot is going to pull in front of you or you have to make an emergency manuver and your trailer will start to sway.

Rather than purchase a whole new hitch assembley, just add on either a friction sway control bar ( this is the least expensive and also least effective) or you can now add on the "Dual Cam" sway control to most hitches if you have the flat ends on your spring bars (which most do). The "Dual Sway" control is much more effective than the friction control and does not cost much more. Here is a web site that shows both items.
http://www.draw-tite.com/products/products/tow_wd_swaycontrol.shtml
Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.
Barney

*This Message was edited on 08-Jul-02 03:15 PM by bsmith0337*

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

5thwheeler

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/02 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes it gets real confusing. Take slide-outs and slide-ins. They both slide in and out but they are two entirely different animals.

lilbear

ND USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/02 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok thanks for all the replies. I am understanding more and more. We have 2 black bars (with chains) that hook up to the side of the hitch on the trailer and right beside the ball on the truck. Dual cam is probably the way for us to go beings we already have the equalizer hitch. NOW, has anyone put one of these on and is it fairly easy?
Your all a great help! [emoticon]

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/02 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lilbear,
Yes, Mike R. , a frequent poster to this forum, has installed the dual cam on his spring bars. Here is a link to his post on the subject. Make sure you read through to the 2nd page to see his final results.
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/CFB/1/TID/224848.cfm
Barney

Bigbear

Minot ND

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/02 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lilbears husband here, I have a CP Products dual bar weight distribution setup, with chains. Can I attach a dual cam system too it? It will "attach directly to a round or trunnion spring bars". I am brain dumping on what the heck a trunnion exactley is! Pictures I have seen don't clear that one up for me either.
Trailer towed great in 30 mile an hour crosswind being passed by and passing semi's. Dealer tells me I don't need one and all they want is money? But lilbear is the safety person, so If I can do it on a CP Products WD system I will.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Brian

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/02 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Brian,
The round spring bars are "L" shaped and insert into the hitch head from the bottom. The trunnion bars are square with a "T" shape on the large end which inserts into the hitch head from the front. I don't know anything about CP products hitch system so can't help you there. Perhaps you can take one of the spring bars to a hitch shop and they can tell you if the dual cam will work. Actually, if I were you, I would probably just go with the friction sway control. It can be mounted on just about any hitch and will probably serve you fine. Just about any hitch shop will have and be able to install one for you for around $100.
Barney

Bigbear

Minot ND

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/02 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Barney
They are trunion bars. After reading Mike R's exploits mentioned in above post I wonder about doing it myself LOL.
Maybe somebody else will have messed with CP Products and have devine insight!

lynngol

Lakeville, MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/02 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lilbear

I installed a Dual-Cam about a month ago and the process was fairly straightforward. The only complication was raising the propane tank rack to make room for the Dual-Cam U-bolts. I used about four washers on each mounting screw betweeen the rack and the trailer tongue to accommodate the U-bolts. Just follow the directions, especially the final adjustment.

Lynn G, the Ukrainian and Sasha the wonder dog as "the Beaver"
2002 Silverado Crewcab 2500HD Duramax + Sportsman 2604P

lilbear

ND USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/02 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, we ordered a dual cam sway control unit. But, just to be sure, this WILL work with the weight distribution bars we have correct???
Also,FYI, we joined Camping World and were able to order and GET the Reese dual cam for cheaper than anywhere else on the net.
Call me safe conscious but, I have an 8 year old that i want to see grow up. If this Reese dual cam will help in any way then I want to use it! [emoticon]
Thanks for all your help!
Laurie

was_FunCruiser

Cyberspace

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/02 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

".... then you do the hokey-pokey and you turn yourself around, that's what it's all about...." [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Help....i have a few stupid questions....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.