|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Hot Tub in Your Campsite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RVcircus

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/15 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's pretty awesome!!! Now I just need to make sure my wife NEVER sees that photo[emoticon]

2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

krobbe

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/15 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperforlife wrote:

krobbe wrote:

At a rate of 11cents kW/hr it'll cost about $4/day or $120/month if the heater ran constant. Your mileage may vary.

If hot tubs cost that much to heat they wouldn't sell any. Our 575 gallon hot tub raised our light bill $8.00 a month and we are in a cold climate.

Well, I did stipulate "if the heater ran constant".
If it cost you $8 a month, and your heater is 1500W, then it only ran for 48hrs for the whole month. (if your electric rate is 11cents per kW/hr)

Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

Briand

South of Denver

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/15 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The campground will obviously have to charge you for it, ban them or start charging for water per use. But either way, unless every camp site has them every night, it is likely not to make much difference in Elec or H20.

Lets say that you have an old RV that uses 5 gallons per minute for the shower. lets say you have 6 people in your camper and everyone takes a 15 minute shower everyday for a week.

Your total usage for a week would be 3150 gallons.

Compared to 2 people that use the same showers, the usage is 1050. 1300 with a hot tub.

If they start taking 60 minute showers is it the same headache as a hot tub? Are you going to ban them as well?

Even if your reduce the water per hr for a shower to 2.5, the family of 6 is > 30% more than the couple with a hot tub. It's just not fair to penalize any fees or policy based on the fact that they draw more electricity or not.

If they ban these due to water usages or electricity, it is under some false guise that these take more water or electricity than normal appliances, which really they do not.

If you start considering hairdriers, clothes driers, toasters, ovens and all the other electric stuff that a family can use, the real cause of high electricity will be number of people not whether you have a hot tub.

Trust me, I think it would be really cool, if they banned families and only let us adults enjoy camp grounds. much more quiet and relaxing.

IMO, the real concern here is respect for other campers, noise, nuisances and all that. As long as everyone is playing well together I don't really care. Then again, most of the camping I do is boondocking, so there are no rules about hottubs and you'd have to burn a lot of gas to get one up to temp, unless it is wood fired or propane.

'97 F-350, CC, PSD
'02 NL, Ten2000 RD

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/15 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

proxim2020 wrote:

OP - Thanks for sharing. I like the idea of free heat from the fire pit. It wouldn't be difficult to rig up a coil that you can put above the pit.
Too late. That's already been built and a high end architectural item. It has a copper coil jutting out that you build a fire under. Not exactly portable

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/15 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Briand wrote:

The campground will obviously have to charge you for it, ban them or start charging for water per use. But either way, unless every camp site has them every night, it is likely not to make much difference in Elec or H20.

Lets say that you have an old RV that uses 5 gallons per minute for the shower. lets say you have 6 people in your camper and everyone takes a 15 minute shower everyday for a week.

Your total usage for a week would be 3150 gallons.

Compared to 2 people that use the same showers, the usage is 1050. 1300 with a hot tub.

If they start taking 60 minute showers is it the same headache as a hot tub? Are you going to ban them as well?

Even if your reduce the water per hr for a shower to 2.5, the family of 6 is > 30% more than the couple with a hot tub. It's just not fair to penalize any fees or policy based on the fact that they draw more electricity or not.

If they ban these due to water usages or electricity, it is under some false guise that these take more water or electricity than normal appliances, which really they do not.

If you start considering hairdriers, clothes driers, toasters, ovens and all the other electric stuff that a family can use, the real cause of high electricity will be number of people not whether you have a hot tub.

Trust me, I think it would be really cool, if they banned families and only let us adults enjoy camp grounds. much more quiet and relaxing.

IMO, the real concern here is respect for other campers, noise, nuisances and all that. As long as everyone is playing well together I don't really care. Then again, most of the camping I do is boondocking, so there are no rules about hottubs and you'd have to burn a lot of gas to get one up to temp, unless it is wood fired or propane.

Your comments above are why many CG's have added per person fees to their base rates. Additional kids are now extra with or without hot tub! at many CG's.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Briand

South of Denver

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/15 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its also one of the many reasons, I avoid campgrounds.

camperforlife

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/15 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

krobbe wrote:

camperforlife wrote:

krobbe wrote:

At a rate of 11cents kW/hr it'll cost about $4/day or $120/month if the heater ran constant. Your mileage may vary.

If hot tubs cost that much to heat they wouldn't sell any. Our 575 gallon hot tub raised our light bill $8.00 a month and we are in a cold climate.

Well, I did stipulate "if the heater ran constant".
If it cost you $8 a month, and your heater is 1500W, then it only ran for 48hrs for the whole month. (if your electric rate is 11cents per kW/hr)

Most tubs the circulating pump generates some heat through friction which helps maintain the heat level without running the heating unit non stop. I never understood how that works nor was I ever interested enough to study up on it.[emoticon] While it would be pretty nice to have on a campsite, I always enjoy ours the most when there is a foot of snow on the ground. BTW, our rate is .08 per KWH.

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/15 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So this solves the heat and grass killing issues, and its been established the water won't kill the lawn.
[image]

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/15 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SCVJeff wrote:

So this solves the heat and grass killing issues, and its been established the water won't kill the lawn.
[image]

Ya, but what about fire bans?!!!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RedRocket204

Colorado mountains - Got trail?

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/15 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

or peeing in the water [emoticon]

sorry, but had to. you know someone is going to bring it up on this forum [emoticon]

I love me some land yachting

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Hot Tub in Your Campsite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.