|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Child/baby seat confusion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Drakensberg

Switzerland

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/15 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input, everyone. I definitely feel more reassured that it is still possible [emoticon]

The car seat we use in Switzerland only works with a shoulder strap, so I just couldn't quite understand how it would all come together. We will hire a US car seat separately to help keep things simple, as unfortunately the rental company we had to use due to availability doesn't rent them out.

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/15 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you mean rent one when you said "hire one out", then you might want to look at purchasing one. You can likely purchase one at stores like WalMart or Target for less than long term rental would be. Once you complete using it, you can always donate it to one of the child protection agencies... foster parents would be thrilled to be given a slightly used, but otherwise new, car seat.

2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

skrams

Burlington, Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/15 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a car seat here, don't rent, and don't bring one - different laws re safety ratings.

And 2 year olds are still safer rear facing.

2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/15 11:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are renting the RV ask the rental company about car seat installation.

Do you plan to bring your car seat from home? If not the rental company may be able to supply one.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/15 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not believe you can rent a car seat nor can you buy one used (and you shouldn't). If the car seat was in a car that was in an accident, it MUST be replaced. Most second hand stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army will not accept donated car seats for this reason, they have no idea if it is still safe to use. If they do accept it, they just throw it out.

When child safety is involved, there should be no skimping.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

BubDelicious

Fenton, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/15 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were me, I would bring an airline certified car seat from home. I think I would want my 2 year old in car seat on the plane rather then just using a lap belt.
As far as in a class B or C, I would consider the front passenger seat( depending on a few things, like airbags). I have never been in a class B or C but often wondered how the seat belts and seats(dinette, couch) hold up in a crash.

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/15 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BubDelicious wrote:

As far as in a class B or C, I would consider the front passenger seat( depending on a few things, like airbags).

NEVER put a child under 12 in the front passenger seat! It's the most dangerous seat in the car for a child, due to the airbag. When an airbag deploys, it literally punches a child in the chest and face. Many children have been killed by airbags. The best seat in the house is in the back, preferably in the middle.

Yes, yes, I know that we all somehow survived riding in the front seat, none of us had car seats, and few of us even had seatbelts in our parents' cars. What we don't know is the names of all those children who were killed or maimed for life because they weren't restrained. We know better now. If you have ever worked in a children's hospital (as I have) and seen what happens to an unrestrained child's body in a car accident, you will NEVER, EVER fail to restrain your children properly.

Off my soapbox now...

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/15 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at my local Walmart and they have forward facing child seats from $176 to upwards of 400 dollars for the really fancy ones. Target is another national brand that has reasonably priced seats

Check out this page from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The type of seat that people have been referring to is the Forward Facing car seat in yellow box second from the left. Just under the pictures is a link to select a car seat based on your child's age and size. Link

As far as buckling the seat in the van, it's as simple as sliding the buckle through the back of the seat and clicking it to the buckle. then have your husband put his knee into the seat and add some weight while you tighten the belt. then just leave it secured there for the trip.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

BubDelicious

Fenton, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/15 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chock Full o' Nuts wrote:

BubDelicious wrote:

As far as in a class B or C, I would consider the front passenger seat( depending on a few things, like airbags).

NEVER put a child under 12 in the front passenger seat! It's the most dangerous seat in the car for a child, due to the airbag. When an airbag deploys, it literally punches a child in the chest and face. Many children have been killed by airbags. The best seat in the house is in the back, preferably in the middle.

Right, not saying put them in front of an airbag. The front seat might be an option if there are no airbags or you can turn the airbags off. The front seats may be the only OE left in the vehicle that have been safety tested, including everything around them(doors, pillars, trim). Everything behind the front seats may not have any safety testing done.(Iam not sure what is in a class B) Iam no expert on class B or C just always wondered how they would hold up.

gerderts

Ukraine

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good day. Maybe a little off-topic, but I wanted to ask who has an organic hooded baby towel at home? I want to make a present for my friend, she recently had her first child. They say that little babies are most exposed to allergies and all that, so I decided that I needed to buy organic hooded baby towel on Natemia.com. Guys, if you have experience in buying such things, can you advise something? Maybe I chose the wrong store or the wrong quality towel. I would be very grateful to everyone for their feedback.

* This post was edited 09/10/20 02:57pm by gerderts *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Child/baby seat confusion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.