Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Is the Aisin transmission worth it?

Posted By: catfishmontana on 06/09/15 10:19am

I got the new truck bug, and the Aisin transmission trucks are a fairly rare find in my area, especially loaded out ones. My current truck is a 2012 Ram with the 68RFE, so I believe it's rated at 610 ft/lbs torque. A 2015 68RFE has a large increase over my current truck @ 800 and then there is the Aisin transmission trucks with 865. I doubt I can seat of the pants tell the difference in torque between the two new trucks, but are the ratios and transmission characteristics that much better really? The truck will be my daily driver (yes I daily drive a dually) as well as tow our new toyhauler in the western states.


2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K


Posted By: 45Ricochet on 06/09/15 10:37am

Have you checked in Kellogg. I was looking at em about a year ago and they had plenty of DRW with the Aisin. Haven't heard anything bad bout them, well maybe the cost [emoticon]


2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin



Posted By: IdaD on 06/09/15 11:03am

Well that depends on who you ask and which transmission is in their truck. [emoticon]

There's a teardown over at cumminsforum so you might check that out and draw your own conclusions. It isn't worth it for the extra power cause the standard CTD has plent of that already, but if you tow heavy a lot the Aisin may hold up better and it does have lower 1st and 2nd gears. But the consensus seems to be that the 68RFE is a pretty solid unit as well, at least at stock output. I've been happy with mine so far although I've barely had a chance to use it yet.


2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB



Posted By: Bedlam on 06/09/15 11:18am

I think both transmissions will handle your load, but the Aisin will last longer before needing repair or rebuild. If you turn over vehicles while still covered under warranty, this will not be a concern. The down side to the Aisin is initial cost, more frequent maintenance and heavier transmission weight.

If you don't like what is currently in dealer inventory, you can always order what you want and get only the options you feel are worth the price verses what someone else spec's out in a build. Since I keep vehicles over ten years, I prefer to own one that is suited for my use and do not look at resale when choosing options.


Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD



Posted By: ranchertx on 06/09/15 11:44am

I am on my second one, IMO if you two heavy they are worth it. I especially like the low first and second gear getting a load moving.
The Aisin is a medium duty transmission, and a beefed up version of the one they have had in their Cab and Chass trucks for the last 7-8 years. From what I hear, the deficiencies in that model were addressed pretty good by Aisin.


Posted By: goducks10 on 06/09/15 11:54am

Your 2012 is rated for 800ftlbs of tq. The manual is derated to 610lbs. JMO but if you're not towing the moon then the 68RFE id fine. Zero issues with mine.
All 2012's came with the HO 6.7 with 350hp and 800tq.


Posted By: catfishmontana on 06/09/15 12:02pm

45Ricochet wrote:

Have you checked in Kellogg. I was looking at em about a year ago and they had plenty of DRW with the Aisin. Haven't heard anything bad bout them, well maybe the cost [emoticon]


I haven't, I try to stay more local with my money if possible. My salesman found me one, a white Laramie limited with the Aisin, two rear cameras, hitch prep, 3.73's, etc and took $11,000 off the price before we even start talking.


Posted By: catfishmontana on 06/09/15 12:03pm

goducks10 wrote:

Your 2012 is rated for 800ftlbs of tq. The manual is derated to 610lbs. JMO but if you're not towing the moon then the 68RFE id fine. Zero issues with mine.
All 2012's came with the HO 6.7 with 350hp and 800tq.


Ah, that sounds better. I had thought so, then I must have misread something today and got the 610 number.


Posted By: 45Ricochet on 06/09/15 04:33pm

catfishmontana wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

Have you checked in Kellogg. I was looking at em about a year ago and they had plenty of DRW with the Aisin. Haven't heard anything bad bout them, well maybe the cost [emoticon]


I haven't, I try to stay more local with my money if possible. My salesman found me one, a white Laramie limited with the Aisin, two rear cameras, hitch prep, 3.73's, etc and took $11,000 off the price before we even start talking.


You can always visit their web site and see what they have on Smith's lot. Your dealer will have it transferred.


Posted By: catfishmontana on 06/09/15 05:26pm

45Ricochet wrote:

catfishmontana wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

Have you checked in Kellogg. I was looking at em about a year ago and they had plenty of DRW with the Aisin. Haven't heard anything bad bout them, well maybe the cost [emoticon]


I haven't, I try to stay more local with my money if possible. My salesman found me one, a white Laramie limited with the Aisin, two rear cameras, hitch prep, 3.73's, etc and took $11,000 off the price before we even start talking.


You can always visit their web site and see what they have on Smith's lot. Your dealer will have it transferred.


I'll actually be driving through there later this month. Maybe I should just stop and take a gander.


Posted By: bighog01 on 06/09/15 05:58pm

I have a 2013 with the 68RFE. 46k trouble free miles and it pulls my 15k toy hauler just fine.


Posted By: Cummins12V98 on 06/09/15 06:01pm

catfishmontana wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

Have you checked in Kellogg. I was looking at em about a year ago and they had plenty of DRW with the Aisin. Haven't heard anything bad bout them, well maybe the cost [emoticon]


I haven't, I try to stay more local with my money if possible. My salesman found me one, a white Laramie limited with the Aisin, two rear cameras, hitch prep, 3.73's, etc and took $11,000 off the price before we even start talking.


IMHO the backup camera is good but the cargo camera makes the backup camera not so good being in the rear view and the cargo is in the 8.4 screen but the image is too small to be of use to me.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD


Posted By: Cummins12V98 on 06/09/15 06:03pm

I put 65K on my2011 Dually 68RFE towing up to 29K combined with 3:42'a and it was flawless. But I ordered my 15 Dually with the Aisin and 4:10's, wow what a difference!


Posted By: FishOnOne on 06/09/15 07:14pm

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"250k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"



Posted By: Skinny Man on 06/09/15 07:20pm

I have no real knowledge of the later model heavy transmissions from Aisin but the ones that were used by Jeep in the 80's and 90's were the most bulletproof transmission I have ever seen.


'03 GMC 2500HD
'12 Jayco 25BHS
Rugrat: Peyton
Labs: Catfish, Katy, CJ
GO DAWGS!!!


Posted By: Cummins12V98 on 06/09/15 07:28pm

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


With the Aisin there is for sure a difference it's called the lower starting gears and they really help get the load rolling with ease.

Chryslers Head West Coast Warranty Rep said when he was asked how well the Aisin trans is holding up he said "they don't break".

My 68RFE was flawless towing a combined load of 29K even with the too high 3:42 gears.

Pan with 50K on the AMZ/OIL.

[image]


Posted By: catfishmontana on 06/09/15 07:47pm

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


If you are implying the 68 is flawed or troublesome, you're wrong. Although not as stout and precise as my 2011 Ford trans was, it's better than the Allison in my opinion.


Posted By: FishOnOne on 06/09/15 08:34pm

catfishmontana wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


If you are implying the 68 is flawed or troublesome, you're wrong. Although not as stout and precise as my 2011 Ford trans was, it's better than the Allison in my opinion.


The 68 overall is not a better tranny than a Allison in terms of refinement, performance, reliability and durability that I know of.

One negative about the Aisin compared to the 68 is the cost to repair one can be expensive. A neighbor down the street from me had a RAM 4500 company truck and I recall he had two Aisin transmissions replaced with one being out of warranty in that truck. Also the Aisin requires 30k miles OCI compared to the 68 if you drive a lot of miles.


Posted By: FishOnOne on 06/09/15 08:36pm

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


With the Aisin there is for sure a difference it's called the lower starting gears and they really help get the load rolling with ease.

Chryslers Head West Coast Warranty Rep said when he was asked how well the Aisin trans is holding up he said "they don't break".

My 68RFE was flawless towing a combined load of 29K even with the too high 3:42 gears.

Pan with 50K on the AMZ/OIL.

[image]


I wouldn't put Amzoil in my lawnmower tranny... BTW I hate those small oil pans!


Posted By: 45Ricochet on 06/09/15 08:49pm

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


You know it's kind of funny this Ford lover, Ram hater would jump into yet another Ram thread. I seem to remember THIS Ford thread and no Ram guys jumped in with cheap remarks. Usual hear say from Troy I might add.


Posted By: blt2ski on 06/09/15 09:22pm

IIRC the aisin trans has a 3.54 first, od is .74 ad dod is .64. The 68rfe is similar to the ally 1000 and Torqueflight with .71 and .61 od/dod and a 3.1 first gear.

If you do free way miles, the 68 rfe is fine. If you go off road, need a bit more startup, you have the equal to a .4-1 lower axel ratio! or around .7-1 if you include the TC multiplier.

More than enough reason for me to go with an Aisin. This is more like the Ally 2400 or 3400 trans gear setups. Many times with higher gcwr and gvwr ratings too.

Marty


92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer


Posted By: Bionic Man on 06/09/15 10:02pm

Nothing wrong with the 68. I am very happy with mine. That said, I also would likely opt for the Aisin if I were buying a 2015. Not because I don't like the 68, but because the Aisin is heavier, and my truck is a dedicated tow vehicle.


2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010


Posted By: FishOnOne on 06/09/15 10:07pm

45Ricochet wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


You know it's kind of funny this Ford lover, Ram hater would jump into yet another Ram thread. I seem to remember THIS Ford thread and no Ram guys jumped in with cheap remarks. Usual hear say from Troy I might add.


Just calling a spade... a spade! The above statement I made is undeniable facts but spin it however you like rick.

Perhaps Rick James can chime in as well since he's one of the few straight shooters here that I've read.


Posted By: The Mad Norsky on 06/09/15 11:18pm

catfishmontana wrote:

I'll actually be driving through there later this month. Maybe I should just stop and take a gander.


[emoticon][emoticon]

that sometimes does not work too well. I did the same thing last September, on my way to my son's house in Washington state. So, driving by, just stopped in to Kellogg to see what's going on.

Just looking you know. Drove in with my Ford, drove away with a new Ram.

Mind you, that IS quite the dealership. Only car dealer I've ever seen that has a restaurant inside of it. Sure, small menu, but still a restaurant.

For Rams, they'll load you up in one of their shuttle vans and take you over to the lot SW of the dealership where they keep all the Ram trucks. Shoot, that lot, full of Ram trucks, is a good 1/2 the size or better of most Wal Mart parking lots.

Enjoy your experience there. You never know what you'll be driving when you leave.

Oh and take a good gander at their SlingShot conversion Ram's they have. I'd love to have the grille they have on my Ram.

And I've got the 385/Aisin in mine. 8400 some odd miles now and loving it.


The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!


Posted By: Cummins12V98 on 06/10/15 05:26am

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


With the Aisin there is for sure a difference it's called the lower starting gears and they really help get the load rolling with ease.

Chryslers Head West Coast Warranty Rep said when he was asked how well the Aisin trans is holding up he said "they don't break".

My 68RFE was flawless towing a combined load of 29K even with the too high 3:42 gears.

Pan with 50K on the AMZ/OIL.

[image]


I wouldn't put Amzoil in my lawnmower tranny... BTW I hate those small oil pans!


I assume you are joking about the transmission pan being small. If you did not know that is a MagHytec aftermarket Aircraft Aluminum "deep" pan. But I am sure you heard of one of your neighbor having a negative experience with one of those also.

Also I am sure you have heard of negative experiences with AMZ/OIL also.

65K on the rear diff towing a combined 29K. AMZ/OIL Severe Gear.

[image]


Posted By: Sport45 on 06/10/15 06:16am

Whoever set those gears up did a good job. Nice contact pattern in both directions.

I wouldn't use it a poster pic for Amsoil though. I've seen plenty of clean diffs with just as many hard miles running store-brand oil. The cleanest are the ones with no limited slip clutches, but the 3.73 LS in my F-250 was pretty nice looking running the O'Reilly's synthetic lube with their friction modifier.

The worst looking diffs are the ones that get water in them because the vent tube gets pulled off for some reason or another...


Posted By: IdaD on 06/10/15 07:32am

I've heard good things from others about Dave Smith, but in my experience you can beat their price at other dealerships. By quite a bit. So I'd advise shopping around a little bit rather than just going to Dave Smith, unless they are the only ones who have what you want on their lot. They do have a huge inventory there.


Posted By: I'm Rick James on 06/10/15 07:49am

FishOnOne wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


You know it's kind of funny this Ford lover, Ram hater would jump into yet another Ram thread. I seem to remember THIS Ford thread and no Ram guys jumped in with cheap remarks. Usual hear say from Troy I might add.


Just calling a spade... a spade! The above statement I made is undeniable facts but spin it however you like rick.

Perhaps Rick James can chime in as well since he's one of the few straight shooters here that I've read.

Yes, I've had both the 68RFE and Aisin in a '12 and '14 respectively. Unloaded I cannot tell a difference between the two and when towing my toy hauler the Aisin simply seems to shift faster and firmer than the 68RFE but nothing dramatic. The 5R100 I had in my '08 Ford beats both of the Ram offerings IMO.


Posted By: Bedlam on 06/10/15 08:22am

Interesting you bring the 5R110 into this discussion. I went from this 5-speed TorqueShift to the 6-speed Aisin. I would say they are almost on par with each other but the Aisin has the advantage of the extra gear ratio. If I had chosen a setup with the 68RFE after owning the TorqueShift, I might have been disappointed. I'm still adjusting to the difference of how power is delivered in my I6 Cummins verses my previous V8 Powerstroke more than the difference in transmission operation.

As I have posted before, the TorqueShift 6R140, Allison 1000 and Aisin AS69RC are all good transmissions with top ratings and you would not go wrong choosing any of these. People that tow less weight or tow less often may not see or need the difference of these top transmissions.


Posted By: The Mad Norsky on 06/10/15 11:19am

One last thought from me.

As I mentioned before, I have the 385/Aisin Cummins in my 14 Ram. 3:73 rear axle ratio. I have NOT towed my fifth wheel with this rig yet, as I have just been way too busy hauling my truck camper around the country. [emoticon]

Now there are posters here who claim their Ram never shifts out of sixth gear.

Mine does, and in fact, at certain speeds, it goes gear hunting.

It does this mostly in the low 60 to say about 64 MPH speed range. I've used the plus/minus button on the gear shift to display gears, and I can see it going from sixth to fifth then back and forth. Mostly with a good head wind, and on hills. But it gets to the point where I just lock out sixth gear.

Now I can get it to go away from this by increasing speed to say 67 MPH, which seems to be the sweet spot with this gear ratio (the 3:73).

Tow haul mode does not allow the shift to sixth gear until just about at 60 MPH, so I do see the gear hunting as a result of just not being enough RPM'S or speed into sixth gear to allow it to stay there.

So perhaps the 4:10 may have been a better choice for speeds in the upper 50's to low 60's speed ranges.


Posted By: transamz9 on 06/10/15 12:13pm

The Mad Norsky wrote:

One last thought from me.

As I mentioned before, I have the 385/Aisin Cummins in my 14 Ram. 3:73 rear axle ratio. I have NOT towed my fifth wheel with this rig yet, as I have just been way too busy hauling my truck camper around the country. [emoticon]

Now there are posters here who claim their Ram never shifts out of sixth gear.

Mine does, and in fact, at certain speeds, it goes gear hunting.

It does this mostly in the low 60 to say about 64 MPH speed range. I've used the plus/minus button on the gear shift to display gears, and I can see it going from sixth to fifth then back and forth. Mostly with a good head wind, and on hills. But it gets to the point where I just lock out sixth gear.

Now I can get it to go away from this by increasing speed to say 67 MPH, which seems to be the sweet spot with this gear ratio (the 3:73).

Tow haul mode does not allow the shift to sixth gear until just about at 60 MPH, so I do see the gear hunting as a result of just not being enough RPM'S or speed into sixth gear to allow it to stay there.

So perhaps the 4:10 may have been a better choice for speeds in the upper 50's to low 60's speed ranges.


My 13 Aisin with 3.42 won't go to 6th until 65 with the TH mode on. It won't go to 5th until 55. TH off those speeds drop around 10 MPH.


2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.


Posted By: Bedlam on 06/10/15 01:07pm

My chassis cab has the 4.44 gears with the Aisin in Tow/Haul mode and still downshifts to fifth with only 22K lb GCW on some rolling hills when traveling 55-65 mph. Most mountain passes have been crossed in fourth except where I have to slow for other traffic and then I will be in third.

The Aisin does have a low first gear - When I put the truck in 4wd low, it has no trouble idling at a crawl up and down dirt roads when fully loaded without me having to apply throttle or brake.


Posted By: Cummins12V98 on 06/10/15 06:32pm

Sport45 wrote:

Whoever set those gears up did a good job. Nice contact pattern in both directions.

I wouldn't use it a poster pic for Amsoil though. I've seen plenty of clean diffs with just as many hard miles running store-brand oil. The cleanest are the ones with no limited slip clutches, but the 3.73 LS in my F-250 was pretty nice looking running the O'Reilly's synthetic lube with their friction modifier.

The worst looking diffs are the ones that get water in them because the vent tube gets pulled off for some reason or another...


I know that is not enough miles to prove anything but I was showing the people that said I would ruin my running gear towing that heavy with the 3:42's. I wish I had a pic of my 98 with 300K using AMZ/OIL the gears looked very nice!

Closer pic. I still think it looks pretty darn good Fish!

[image]


Posted By: FishOnOne on 06/10/15 08:53pm

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Sport45 wrote:

Whoever set those gears up did a good job. Nice contact pattern in both directions.

I wouldn't use it a poster pic for Amsoil though. I've seen plenty of clean diffs with just as many hard miles running store-brand oil. The cleanest are the ones with no limited slip clutches, but the 3.73 LS in my F-250 was pretty nice looking running the O'Reilly's synthetic lube with their friction modifier.

The worst looking diffs are the ones that get water in them because the vent tube gets pulled off for some reason or another...


I know that is not enough miles to prove anything but I was showing the people that said I would ruin my running gear towing that heavy with the 3:42's. I wish I had a pic of my 98 with 300K using AMZ/OIL the gears looked very nice!

Closer pic. I still think it looks pretty darn good Fish!

[image]


Looks good to me... I bet the factory oil would have produced the same results.


Posted By: FishOnOne on 06/10/15 08:54pm

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


With the Aisin there is for sure a difference it's called the lower starting gears and they really help get the load rolling with ease.

Chryslers Head West Coast Warranty Rep said when he was asked how well the Aisin trans is holding up he said "they don't break".

My 68RFE was flawless towing a combined load of 29K even with the too high 3:42 gears.

Pan with 50K on the AMZ/OIL.

[image]


I wouldn't put Amzoil in my lawnmower tranny... BTW I hate those small oil pans!


I assume you are joking about the transmission pan being small. If you did not know that is a MagHytec aftermarket Aircraft Aluminum "deep" pan. But I am sure you heard of one of your neighbor having a negative experience with one of those also.

Also I am sure you have heard of negative experiences with AMZ/OIL also.

65K on the rear diff towing a combined 29K. AMZ/OIL Severe Gear.

[image]


I noticed you had a after market oil pan... That's why I made the comment directed at the factory oil pan.


Posted By: FishOnOne on 06/10/15 08:55pm

I'm Rick James wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


You know it's kind of funny this Ford lover, Ram hater would jump into yet another Ram thread. I seem to remember THIS Ford thread and no Ram guys jumped in with cheap remarks. Usual hear say from Troy I might add.


Just calling a spade... a spade! The above statement I made is undeniable facts but spin it however you like rick.

Perhaps Rick James can chime in as well since he's one of the few straight shooters here that I've read.

Yes, I've had both the 68RFE and Aisin in a '12 and '14 respectively. Unloaded I cannot tell a difference between the two and when towing my toy hauler the Aisin simply seems to shift faster and firmer than the 68RFE but nothing dramatic. The 5R100 I had in my '08 Ford beats both of the Ram offerings IMO.


Thanks for your report!


Posted By: Slowmover on 06/11/15 06:04pm

I'd get the AW if for no other reason than resale. Having driven them in the 5500 series I was sold years ago. Medium duty engine and medium duty trans in a light duty truck. Sounds just right for long life.


1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost


Posted By: Ron3rd on 06/12/15 12:45pm

FishOnOne wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


You know it's kind of funny this Ford lover, Ram hater would jump into yet another Ram thread. I seem to remember THIS Ford thread and no Ram guys jumped in with cheap remarks. Usual hear say from Troy I might add.


Just calling a spade... a spade! The above statement I made is undeniable facts but spin it however you like rick.

Perhaps Rick James can chime in as well since he's one of the few straight shooters here that I've read.


I think the reason a lot of folks go with the 68 is it's cheaper and if you like the truck and the overall package, the 68 is fine. I'm gonna be in the market for a new CTD (probably Tradsman trim) and all the local ones I've seen have the 68 so that's what I'll go with. Maybe if I was fulltiming with a 5er I would consider the Aisin.


2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"


Posted By: IdaD on 06/12/15 01:04pm

Ron3rd wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


You know it's kind of funny this Ford lover, Ram hater would jump into yet another Ram thread. I seem to remember THIS Ford thread and no Ram guys jumped in with cheap remarks. Usual hear say from Troy I might add.


Just calling a spade... a spade! The above statement I made is undeniable facts but spin it however you like rick.

Perhaps Rick James can chime in as well since he's one of the few straight shooters here that I've read.


I think the reason a lot of folks go with the 68 is it's cheaper and if you like the truck and the overall package, the 68 is fine. I'm gonna be in the market for a new CTD (probably Tradsman trim) and all the local ones I've seen have the 68 so that's what I'll go with. Maybe if I was fulltiming with a 5er I would consider the Aisin.


I'm the poster child for this. I could have eeked by with a heavy half ton but a 3/4 ton is just a lot better solution for me, and it really doesn't cost much more than the heavy half once you add HD Payload and Max Tow. I paid $39k and literally couldn't find an F150 on any lot for less than that equipped with those two packages. So, why not opt for the heavier duty truck with all the heavy duty components? I really didn't see any downsides to stepping up a level.

I've been real pleased with the 68 so far and in my case I didn't think it was worth the extra money for the Aisin. This truck is my daily driver and weekend tow vehicle and I figured the 68 would be fine for that workload.


Posted By: I'm Rick James on 06/12/15 11:50pm

IdaD wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


You know it's kind of funny this Ford lover, Ram hater would jump into yet another Ram thread. I seem to remember THIS Ford thread and no Ram guys jumped in with cheap remarks. Usual hear say from Troy I might add.


Just calling a spade... a spade! The above statement I made is undeniable facts but spin it however you like rick.

Perhaps Rick James can chime in as well since he's one of the few straight shooters here that I've read.


I think the reason a lot of folks go with the 68 is it's cheaper and if you like the truck and the overall package, the 68 is fine. I'm gonna be in the market for a new CTD (probably Tradsman trim) and all the local ones I've seen have the 68 so that's what I'll go with. Maybe if I was fulltiming with a 5er I would consider the Aisin.


I'm the poster child for this. I could have eeked by with a heavy half ton but a 3/4 ton is just a lot better solution for me, and it really doesn't cost much more than the heavy half once you add HD Payload and Max Tow. I paid $39k and literally couldn't find an F150 on any lot for less than that equipped with those two packages. So, why not opt for the heavier duty truck with all the heavy duty components? I really didn't see any downsides to stepping up a level.

I've been real pleased with the 68 so far and in my case I didn't think it was worth the extra money for the Aisin. This truck is my daily driver and weekend tow vehicle and I figured the 68 would be fine for that workload.

Well, the good news for you is that the Aisin wasn't an option for your configuration.

I'm sure the 68RE is an adequate transmission, as is the Aisin. There are those that preach the "MDT" moniker for the Aisin but that usually devolves into semantics. Bottom line is that they are all (regardless of brand) fairly decent transmissions that none of us will be able to quantify their strengths or weaknesses.


Posted By: IdaD on 06/13/15 11:06am

I'm Rick James wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


You know it's kind of funny this Ford lover, Ram hater would jump into yet another Ram thread. I seem to remember THIS Ford thread and no Ram guys jumped in with cheap remarks. Usual hear say from Troy I might add.


Just calling a spade... a spade! The above statement I made is undeniable facts but spin it however you like rick.

Perhaps Rick James can chime in as well since he's one of the few straight shooters here that I've read.


I think the reason a lot of folks go with the 68 is it's cheaper and if you like the truck and the overall package, the 68 is fine. I'm gonna be in the market for a new CTD (probably Tradsman trim) and all the local ones I've seen have the 68 so that's what I'll go with. Maybe if I was fulltiming with a 5er I would consider the Aisin.


I'm the poster child for this. I could have eeked by with a heavy half ton but a 3/4 ton is just a lot better solution for me, and it really doesn't cost much more than the heavy half once you add HD Payload and Max Tow. I paid $39k and literally couldn't find an F150 on any lot for less than that equipped with those two packages. So, why not opt for the heavier duty truck with all the heavy duty components? I really didn't see any downsides to stepping up a level.

I've been real pleased with the 68 so far and in my case I didn't think it was worth the extra money for the Aisin. This truck is my daily driver and weekend tow vehicle and I figured the 68 would be fine for that workload.

Well, the good news for you is that the Aisin wasn't an option for your configuration.

I'm sure the 68RE is an adequate transmission, as is the Aisin. There are those that preach the "MDT" moniker for the Aisin but that usually devolves into semantics. Bottom line is that they are all (regardless of brand) fairly decent transmissions that none of us will be able to quantify their strengths or weaknesses.


I debated 3500 and it is an option there, so I did give it some thought. Happy with where I ended up though.


Posted By: cummins2014 on 06/13/15 02:15pm

IdaD wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I recall a while back "I'm Rick James" reported he could not notice any performance difference between the 68 and the Aisin tranny. It's interesting that the defenders of the 68 opted for the Aisin and I think we all know why!

Good luck...


You know it's kind of funny this Ford lover, Ram hater would jump into yet another Ram thread. I seem to remember THIS Ford thread and no Ram guys jumped in with cheap remarks. Usual hear say from Troy I might add.


Just calling a spade... a spade! The above statement I made is undeniable facts but spin it however you like rick.

Perhaps Rick James can chime in as well since he's one of the few straight shooters here that I've read.


I think the reason a lot of folks go with the 68 is it's cheaper and if you like the truck and the overall package, the 68 is fine. I'm gonna be in the market for a new CTD (probably Tradsman trim) and all the local ones I've seen have the 68 so that's what I'll go with. Maybe if I was fulltiming with a 5er I would consider the Aisin.


I'm the poster child for this. I could have eeked by with a heavy half ton but a 3/4 ton is just a lot better solution for me, and it really doesn't cost much more than the heavy half once you add HD Payload and Max Tow. I paid $39k and literally couldn't find an F150 on any lot for less than that equipped with those two packages. So, why not opt for the heavier duty truck with all the heavy duty components? I really didn't see any downsides to stepping up a level.

I've been real pleased with the 68 so far and in my case I didn't think it was worth the extra money for the Aisin. This truck is my daily driver and weekend tow vehicle and I figured the 68 would be fine for that workload.

Well, the good news for you is that the Aisin wasn't an option for your configuration.

I'm sure the 68RE is an adequate transmission, as is the Aisin. There are those that preach the "MDT" moniker for the Aisin but that usually devolves into semantics. Bottom line is that they are all (regardless of brand) fairly decent transmissions that none of us will be able to quantify their strengths or weaknesses.


I debated 3500 and it is an option there, so I did give it some thought. Happy with where I ended up though.



Totally happy with my 2014 3500 with the 68. I might of considered the Aisin if I was full timing , but for a few thousand miles per year towing just over 13K the 68 is doing just fine with the 3:42 gears.


Posted By: transferred on 06/13/15 04:55pm

I'm Rick James wrote:



I'm sure the 68RE is an adequate transmission, as is the Aisin. There are those that preach the "MDT" moniker for the Aisin but that usually devolves into semantics. Bottom line is that they are all (regardless of brand) fairly decent transmissions that none of us will be able to quantify their strengths or weaknesses.


So the Aisin is not a MDT trans? Please elaborate.

I put my money where my mouth is and spent the extra for the Aisin, I'm an SRW but been right up to 25k GCWR and at that weight I like to know I have a trans with 140 lbs for metal in it than the 68RFE. For the DRW guys towing at near 40k, it's cheap insurance and a no brainer.

Now, people who tune their trucks is a different matter....they should've bought a Mustang


05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV


Posted By: catfishmontana on 06/13/15 07:51pm

Right now it's a coin toss between two trucks I have located. The salesmen from two different dealerships are gonna have to start competing when I call them Monday.

The ram dealer located a beautiful white Laramie Limited CC LB DRW with Aisin, 3.73's and hitch prep.

The Ford dealer has a black platinum CC LB DRW with 3.73's and hitch prep.

Game time!


Posted By: Cummins12V98 on 06/14/15 08:43am

catfishmontana wrote:

Right now it's a coin toss between two trucks I have located. The salesmen from two different dealerships are gonna have to start competing when I call them Monday.

The ram dealer located a beautiful white Laramie Limited CC LB DRW with Aisin, 3.73's and hitch prep.

The Ford dealer has a black platinum CC LB DRW with 3.73's and hitch prep.

Game time!


Just the hitch prep alone should clinch the deal! 25K and 6,500# pin. No comparison on the Ford.

[image]


Posted By: I'm Rick James on 06/14/15 10:45am

transferred wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:



I'm sure the 68RE is an adequate transmission, as is the Aisin. There are those that preach the "MDT" moniker for the Aisin but that usually devolves into semantics. Bottom line is that they are all (regardless of brand) fairly decent transmissions that none of us will be able to quantify their strengths or weaknesses.


So the Aisin is not a MDT trans? Please elaborate.

I put my money where my mouth is and spent the extra for the Aisin, I'm an SRW but been right up to 25k GCWR and at that weight I like to know I have a trans with 140 lbs for metal in it than the 68RFE. For the DRW guys towing at near 40k, it's cheap insurance and a no brainer.

Now, people who tune their trucks is a different matter....they should've bought a Mustang

Feel free to put whatever acronym or label on your transmission you like. If the Aisin is a MDT transmission, cite what MDT utilizes the AS69RC.

I opted for the Aisin simply because it allowed for greater hp/ torque and I did not like the 68RFE in my '12 Ram.


Posted By: blt2ski on 06/14/15 10:52am

I'm Rick James wrote:

transferred wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:



I'm sure the 68RE is an adequate transmission, as is the Aisin. There are those that preach the "MDT" moniker for the Aisin but that usually devolves into semantics. Bottom line is that they are all (regardless of brand) fairly decent transmissions that none of us will be able to quantify their strengths or weaknesses.


So the Aisin is not a MDT trans? Please elaborate.

I put my money where my mouth is and spent the extra for the Aisin, I'm an SRW but been right up to 25k GCWR and at that weight I like to know I have a trans with 140 lbs for metal in it than the 68RFE. For the DRW guys towing at near 40k, it's cheap insurance and a no brainer.

Now, people who tune their trucks is a different matter....they should've bought a Mustang

Feel free to put whatever acronym or label on your transmission you like. If the Aisin is a MDT transmission, cite what MDT utilizes the AS69RC.

I opted for the Aisin simply because it allowed for greater hp/ torque and I did not like the 68RFE in my '12 Ram.


One MDT is the 45 and 55 series Rams. BUT, not sure of any others.

As you Rick notes, ALL the current transmissions in the pickup lineup are way the heck better than 30 years ago, even 10-15 years ago. Take your pick, do not look back.

With this in mind tho, I personally would take the aisin, only because as I stated earlier, the first gear is lower, so you have more take off gearing etc for low speed maneuvering. The difference in OD and DOD is not enough to worry about. But stalling out on a steep grade can be an issue loaded heavy enough.

marty


Posted By: Cummins12V98 on 06/14/15 11:19am

blt2ski wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:

transferred wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:



I'm sure the 68RE is an adequate transmission, as is the Aisin. There are those that preach the "MDT" moniker for the Aisin but that usually devolves into semantics. Bottom line is that they are all (regardless of brand) fairly decent transmissions that none of us will be able to quantify their strengths or weaknesses.


So the Aisin is not a MDT trans? Please elaborate.

I put my money where my mouth is and spent the extra for the Aisin, I'm an SRW but been right up to 25k GCWR and at that weight I like to know I have a trans with 140 lbs for metal in it than the 68RFE. For the DRW guys towing at near 40k, it's cheap insurance and a no brainer.

Now, people who tune their trucks is a different matter....they should've bought a Mustang

Feel free to put whatever acronym or label on your transmission you like. If the Aisin is a MDT transmission, cite what MDT utilizes the AS69RC.

I opted for the Aisin simply because it allowed for greater hp/ torque and I did not like the 68RFE in my '12 Ram.


One MDT is the 45 and 55 series Rams. BUT, not sure of any others.

As you Rick notes, ALL the current transmissions in the pickup lineup are way the heck better than 30 years ago, even 10-15 years ago. Take your pick, do not look back.

With this in mind tho, I personally would take the aisin, only because as I stated earlier, the first gear is lower, so you have more take off gearing etc for low speed maneuvering. The difference in OD and DOD is not enough to worry about. But stalling out on a steep grade can be an issue loaded heavy enough.

marty


I have not towed the new MS but I did tow the 07 MS twice with the 15 RAM with Aisin. It really gets 30K rolling easily compared to my 11RAM with 68RFE. To be fair the 11 had 3:42's. Still I know there is a big difference with the Aisin.

One thing that really impressed my was I took Conway Hill about a 5% grade on I-5 NW WA on cruise at 60 about 1/2 way up the trans downshifted to 5th without dropping 2-3 mph before downshifting like the 68RFE would. I was surprised it downshifted so seamlessly.


Posted By: Bedlam on 06/14/15 12:33pm

The AS69RC and 6R140 are both used in Class 4 and 5 trucks. The 6R140 is also used in Class 6 and 7 trucks.


Posted By: larry barnhart on 06/14/15 01:09pm

Cummins12V98 wrote:

blt2ski wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:

transferred wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:



I'm sure the 68RE is an adequate transmission, as is the Aisin. There are those that preach the "MDT" moniker for the Aisin but that usually devolves into semantics. Bottom line is that they are all (regardless of brand) fairly decent transmissions that none of us will be able to quantify their strengths or weaknesses.


So the Aisin is not a MDT trans? Please elaborate.

I put my money where my mouth is and spent the extra for the Aisin, I'm an SRW but been right up to 25k GCWR and at that weight I like to know I have a trans with 140 lbs for metal in it than the 68RFE. For the DRW guys towing at near 40k, it's cheap insurance and a no brainer.

Now, people who tune their trucks is a different matter....they should've bought a Mustang

Feel free to put whatever acronym or label on your transmission you like. If the Aisin is a MDT transmission, cite what MDT utilizes the AS69RC.

I opted for the Aisin simply because it allowed for greater hp/ torque and I did not like the 68RFE in my '12 Ram.


One MDT is the 45 and 55 series Rams. BUT, not sure of any others.

As you Rick notes, ALL the current transmissions in the pickup lineup are way the heck better than 30 years ago, even 10-15 years ago. Take your pick, do not look back.

With this in mind tho, I personally would take the aisin, only because as I stated earlier, the first gear is lower, so you have more take off gearing etc for low speed maneuvering. The difference in OD and DOD is not enough to worry about. But stalling out on a steep grade can be an issue loaded heavy enough.

marty


I have not towed the new MS but I did tow the 07 MS twice with the 15 RAM with Aisin. It really gets 30K rolling easily compared to my 11RAM with 68RFE. To be fair the 11 had 3:42's. Still I know there is a big difference with the Aisin.

One thing that really impressed my was I took Conway Hill about a 5% grade on I-5 NW WA on cruise at 60 about 1/2 way up the trans downshifted to 5th without dropping 2-3 mph before downshifting like the 68RFE would. I was surprised it downshifted so seamlessly.


What your truck does is how I tow with our truck but I hit the button for a downshift because the Allison and duramax seems to want to keep pulling in high gear and of course lose some speed.

chevman


chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy



KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110


Posted By: Cummins12V98 on 06/14/15 01:23pm

larry barnhart wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

blt2ski wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:

transferred wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:



I'm sure the 68RE is an adequate transmission, as is the Aisin. There are those that preach the "MDT" moniker for the Aisin but that usually devolves into semantics. Bottom line is that they are all (regardless of brand) fairly decent transmissions that none of us will be able to quantify their strengths or weaknesses.


So the Aisin is not a MDT trans? Please elaborate.

I put my money where my mouth is and spent the extra for the Aisin, I'm an SRW but been right up to 25k GCWR and at that weight I like to know I have a trans with 140 lbs for metal in it than the 68RFE. For the DRW guys towing at near 40k, it's cheap insurance and a no brainer.

Now, people who tune their trucks is a different matter....they should've bought a Mustang

Feel free to put whatever acronym or label on your transmission you like. If the Aisin is a MDT transmission, cite what MDT utilizes the AS69RC.

I opted for the Aisin simply because it allowed for greater hp/ torque and I did not like the 68RFE in my '12 Ram.


One MDT is the 45 and 55 series Rams. BUT, not sure of any others.

As you Rick notes, ALL the current transmissions in the pickup lineup are way the heck better than 30 years ago, even 10-15 years ago. Take your pick, do not look back.

With this in mind tho, I personally would take the aisin, only because as I stated earlier, the first gear is lower, so you have more take off gearing etc for low speed maneuvering. The difference in OD and DOD is not enough to worry about. But stalling out on a steep grade can be an issue loaded heavy enough.

marty


I have not towed the new MS but I did tow the 07 MS twice with the 15 RAM with Aisin. It really gets 30K rolling easily compared to my 11RAM with 68RFE. To be fair the 11 had 3:42's. Still I know there is a big difference with the Aisin.

One thing that really impressed my was I took Conway Hill about a 5% grade on I-5 NW WA on cruise at 60 about 1/2 way up the trans downshifted to 5th without dropping 2-3 mph before downshifting like the 68RFE would. I was surprised it downshifted so seamlessly.


What your truck does is how I tow with our truck but I hit the button for a downshift because the Allison and duramax seems to want to keep pulling in high gear and of course lose some speed.

chevman


With the 11 I would hit the downshift toggle before the speed dropped and that gave me something to do while towing. Now with this new trans I may get bored if it does everything for me [emoticon]


Posted By: GBuilders on 06/14/15 02:53pm

I love my Aisin with the 3:73. I wasn't planning on buying a new truck until I saw the left over 2014 and it just happened to have the Aisin. I'm happy I did and it's a joy to tow with.


2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS 5th wheel

New truck: 2019 Ford F-250 power stroke platinum 4x4

Former truck: 2014 Ram Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4 6.7/Aisin 6 speed 3:73


Posted By: rch10007 on 06/14/15 02:58pm

If it helps... I have a 5 speed Aisin trans in my 4wd '99 Jeep Cherokee. It's got 260K miles on it. I've never had an issue with it. Just changed the gear oil in it and all was clean and clear...


Posted By: transferred on 06/14/15 04:10pm

I'm Rick James wrote:

transferred wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:



I'm sure the 68RE is an adequate transmission, as is the Aisin. There are those that preach the "MDT" moniker for the Aisin but that usually devolves into semantics. Bottom line is that they are all (regardless of brand) fairly decent transmissions that none of us will be able to quantify their strengths or weaknesses.


So the Aisin is not a MDT trans? Please elaborate.

I put my money where my mouth is and spent the extra for the Aisin, I'm an SRW but been right up to 25k GCWR and at that weight I like to know I have a trans with 140 lbs for metal in it than the 68RFE. For the DRW guys towing at near 40k, it's cheap insurance and a no brainer.

Now, people who tune their trucks is a different matter....they should've bought a Mustang

Feel free to put whatever acronym or label on your transmission you like. If the Aisin is a MDT transmission, cite what MDT utilizes the AS69RC.

I opted for the Aisin simply because it allowed for greater hp/ torque and I did not like the 68RFE in my '12 Ram.


Ram 4500 and Ram 5500. Hopefully this information clears your confusion on the subject.


Posted By: FishOnOne on 06/15/15 06:19am

Don't let the Nissan Titan confuse you either


Posted By: I'm Rick James on 06/15/15 07:52am

transferred wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:

transferred wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:



I'm sure the 68RE is an adequate transmission, as is the Aisin. There are those that preach the "MDT" moniker for the Aisin but that usually devolves into semantics. Bottom line is that they are all (regardless of brand) fairly decent transmissions that none of us will be able to quantify their strengths or weaknesses.


So the Aisin is not a MDT trans? Please elaborate.

I put my money where my mouth is and spent the extra for the Aisin, I'm an SRW but been right up to 25k GCWR and at that weight I like to know I have a trans with 140 lbs for metal in it than the 68RFE. For the DRW guys towing at near 40k, it's cheap insurance and a no brainer.

Now, people who tune their trucks is a different matter....they should've bought a Mustang

Feel free to put whatever acronym or label on your transmission you like. If the Aisin is a MDT transmission, cite what MDT utilizes the AS69RC.

I opted for the Aisin simply because it allowed for greater hp/ torque and I did not like the 68RFE in my '12 Ram.


Ram 4500 and Ram 5500. Hopefully this information clears your confusion on the subject.

Ah yes, so the G56 & 66RFE are MDT transmissions and the 6.4 Hemi is a MDT engine? There is no confusion on my part, it's semantics.


Posted By: mpierce on 06/16/15 07:27am

I love the Aisin in my 2014 Dually! Is it worth it? Only you can decide that.


Posted By: Bedlam on 06/16/15 08:10am

You need to consider what load you are carrying and how often. If you tow only on major holidays and otherwise use the vehicle for commuting or it sits in storage, you may not need the Aisin even though you may have a heavy load. We go out often April through October and are usually crossing mountains, so we have the Aisin. November through March we avoid towing through snowy mountain passes, but we still camp in the low lands and at sea level. We still have coastal ranges to cross, but these are easy compared to what we do during other parts of the year.


Posted By: Frostbitte on 06/16/15 10:48am

I've never had the Aisin or driven one. I do have the 68 in my 2011 and I love it. Combined with the exhaust brake, it's awesome. My previous truck had the 545 in it so it's a night and day difference. I have no issues with it as a somewhat daily driver or towing our 13000 lbs 5'er. It doesn't overheat, it shifts pretty smoothly and the electronic range select is helpful when descending really steep hills. I also have a 4.10 rear gear so that certainly helps. [emoticon]

If I were to buy another RAM, I'd definitely give the Aisin a try not only because I tow heavy during the summer but also for bragging rights. I mean who doesn't want to say they've got a 385/865 Cummins! LOL. Pullin in to the family gathering/campsite and telling them to put that in their pipe and smoke it. LOL!
Honestly, no complaints about my 350/650 Cummins with the 68. It's a great combo so I can only imagine what the newer ones are like.


2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer


Posted By: gtsum on 06/18/15 07:54pm

I have a 14 with the 68 Trans towing 15500 or so. I am close to weight limits and if I go to a dually I will be going with the aisin and 3.73 gears (vs my 3.42). Seems like I could use a bit more off the line to get him going


2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie


Posted By: I'm Rick James on 06/21/15 04:55pm

transferred wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:

transferred wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:



I'm sure the 68RE is an adequate transmission, as is the Aisin. There are those that preach the "MDT" moniker for the Aisin but that usually devolves into semantics. Bottom line is that they are all (regardless of brand) fairly decent transmissions that none of us will be able to quantify their strengths or weaknesses.


So the Aisin is not a MDT trans? Please elaborate.

I put my money where my mouth is and spent the extra for the Aisin, I'm an SRW but been right up to 25k GCWR and at that weight I like to know I have a trans with 140 lbs for metal in it than the 68RFE. For the DRW guys towing at near 40k, it's cheap insurance and a no brainer.

Now, people who tune their trucks is a different matter....they should've bought a Mustang

Feel free to put whatever acronym or label on your transmission you like. If the Aisin is a MDT transmission, cite what MDT utilizes the AS69RC.

I opted for the Aisin simply because it allowed for greater hp/ torque and I did not like the 68RFE in my '12 Ram.


Ram 4500 and Ram 5500. Hopefully this information clears your confusion on the subject.

Still waiting for a response, are the 66RFE and 6.4 Hemi's MDT transmissions and engines respectively?


Posted By: Bedlam on 06/21/15 07:09pm

The 6.4 Hemi and 6.7 Cummins engines are used in MDT's with milder tunes than the pickups. The Hemi only uses MDS for PTO operation and not when driving like the pickups. The automatic Aisin and manual G56 are the only transmissions available in MDT's.


Print  |  Close