|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Flashlight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/15 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harbor Freight also give away one that looks like a blue hockey puck (sorta) that is great.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Muddydogs

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/15 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfire Time wrote:

X2! I just can't see buying a "good" one when the cheap ones work just fine. I used to used several 6 volt hand held lanterns. This year I switched to using little cheap LED flashlights that fit in my pocket. They throw off plenty of light, use 3 AAA batteries, and are usually free giveaways from Harbor Freight or from trade shows in various industries. I don't think I paid for one yet other than replacement batteries.

The above post is a perfect example of why this and many other questions asked on this forum are so subjective to personal taste and needs. I would never think of a Harbor Freight flashlight as anything more then a toy I give the grandkids to play with and when they kill off the batteries the light goes in the trash. If all you need or want is the light given off by a HF flashlight then there you go. If you want to be able to go from so little light that its not really usable to lighting up the world then something better should be looked at. Hard to say what's best when opinions run from free HF lights to $200 lights. Best one can do is figure out what they want to be able to do with said item and figure out what's there best option. Heck there are forums dedicated to flashlight where the members take there light very serious.

2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/15 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3oaks wrote:

PackerBacker wrote:

I buy 6-volt flashlights from Dollar General and toss them every couple years.

http://www.dollargeneral.com/search/inde........=&kw=Flashlights&origkw=Flashlights&sr=1
That's what I use, the old tried and true 6-volt spotlight along with a good alkaline battery. Though, better quality than Dollar General's so I don't toss them.

I was buying the better quality ones too but at $4.55 it was cheaper to buy a couple new ones than to replace the battery. I would get about 3 years out of a 'good' one.

Will admit that I felt guilty throwing out was seemed to be a perfectly good case/bulb the first time. [emoticon]

... Eric

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/15 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have about 15 of these stashed around the house, trailer and truck and my wifes car. They come in very handy because they can stand on their own, hang up, and stick by magnet. They use AAA batteries so can be reused easily. HF gives them out free occasionally and they are very cheap to purchase if not free.
[image]

I also agree on the Costco flashlights.. I have three of them and they will light up the forest! [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

GoPackGo

Wandering Aimlessly

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/15 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a little goofy about flashlights and I have a bunch actually. If I have a problem in the middle of the nite, I want to be able to throw lots of light where it's needed.

I have one of the headband ones with the tiltable LED light. These are great if you need two hands to work on the problem.

Just bought an LED 6-volt lantern (cheap) at Walmart.

I also picked up a multi-pack (don't recall if it was 2 or 3) of a free standing multiple LED 'lantern' with a flashlight on the end. Separate on/off controls for the flashlight and the lantern. It bends, has a hanger on the top end and a strong magnet on the other end. They stand about a foot high. As I recall, they even came with batteries. Got them from Costco. I keep one in my truck and one in the basement.

ugh

Austin, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/15 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will review each one and make a decision. When I look them up on Amazon, there are hundreds or thousands of them. Some of them are not as good as they claim and that's why I wanted to check with this forum and limit my choice based on your experience.

---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/15 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brighter is NOT better, in my opinion.

I find that an overly-bright flashlight destroys my night vision. Then I can't see anything at all outside the flashlight's circle.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Houston Remodeler

Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/15 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Occasionally Home Depot has an 8 or 10 pack onsale for $8 or $10. LEDs with 3 AAA batteries. They are surprisingly bright and we don't care if we lose them or give them away.clicky

2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

gazingm42

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/15 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a loaded question. There so many to chose from these days. The 3 factors IMHO. 1. Size and weight, 2. Brightness, 3. Finally price. Once you weight all these when shopping you will have the perfect light for YOU! No one
light works for everyone.

Good luck!

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/15 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like a bright long range light for the house because I live in the country. I often look outside to see what that noise was and want to see as far as possible in order to keep my distance from the boogy man. I'm looking at buying the J5 Tactical V1-Pro, $12.95 on Amazon.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 20

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Flashlight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.