RV.Net Open Roads Forum: The Ozarks - in search of the spirit of Sam Walton - TR

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The Ozarks - in search of the spirit of Sam Walton - TR

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JumboJet

Tontitown ARKANSAW

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/15 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since your visit, we are expanding the access to the pad next to our house. I actually put in the request to my concrete man about 2 months ago. He is just now getting around to doing the work.

My youngest grandson was waving at his paw-paw as I was moving dirt out to expand the parking pad next to my shop.

[image]

Powerdude

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/15 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip report. It is a nice area.

As for Walmart and the Waltons, I don't really care for them. But that's a different topic.

2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

sandblast

salt lake city utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/15 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for some great memories

E.P.

sharkman

N.E. Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/15 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good trip, thanks for sharing, used to live in Mountainburg Arkansas, beautiful place.

Camper: 2005 Lance Lite 815
Truck: 2003 Dodge Ram Loramie 3500HD, CTD, DRW, Q/C, L/B, Draw-Tite Front Hitch
Boat: 1985 Alumacraft Trophy 175 - Evinrude 90 HP

dokkema1

Blanding UT

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/15 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powerdude wrote:

Nice trip report. It is a nice area.

As for Walmart and the Waltons, I don't really care for them. But that's a different topic.

Great story with pics..I would like to also go someday to see the place were the death of the American worker was born..(thanks Sam) and China of course

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/15 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TexasShadow, CEWillis, Powerdude, JumboJet, Tiger4x4, Exhaustipated, realter, CamperJeff and Kelli, Sandblast, dokkema1, Joerg68, Oldtymeflyr, SAbconsulting...thanks for your comments.

Actually, I got a PM from a friend who lives in Arizona and who will remain unnamed. He asked, "Will all this be on the test"?

Heh.

As many of you know, I am fascinated by the American experience. When I try to get my arms around something as incomprehensible as the scale of Wal-Mart or Tyson, it sometimes makes my head hurt. Wal-Mart has over 11,000 stores and 6,000 of them are outside the US.

To me its evidence that our country is in good shape as long as brilliant folks like that come along. I include Gates and Jobs and so many others. Its really stunning.

This doesn't mean that I "like" the people who create these institutions, or for that matter the institutions themselves. I try to understand where they fit into our polity.

Now, the whole world is competing. China is creating a millionaire every day...and a billionaire every week or so. We better stay on our toes or our children and grandchildren are going to have a hard row to hoe.

So, if you see me on some country road driving real slow with my Avion, with Jane riding shotgun, you'll know what we'll be thinking about.

America....how we got here and where we're going. And how beautiful our country is.

D.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/15 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

67Avion wrote:

And how beautiful our country is.

Beautiful it is, for sure. Keeps us coming back for more every time. In the US, you have everything - and it's opposite.

Sam Walton's story is truly impressive. Wal-Mart tried out the german market a while ago. They didn't last over here. Still, they are the world's biggest employer by revenue and number of employees (2.2 million).

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/15 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip , report , pictures and history . Brought back memories . Went to visit a friend in Fayetteville in the mid seventies with my first truck camper ( 68 GMC with a raised cap , sleeping bag and a coleman stove ). Overnighted on the Skyline Drive . Back then it seemed to be all about Tyson . We did a day trip up to Eureka Springs . Wonderful area , I need to go back .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/15 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joerg68 wrote:

Beautiful it is, for sure. Keeps us coming back for more every time. In the US, you have everything - and it's opposite.

I'm traveling with a truck camper in Europe this fall between Amsterdam and Copenhagen. I'll pass through a part of Germany on the way and plan to camp on the seaside before continuing on to Denmark. You've got a beautiful and vigorous country as well.

Next time you are in the US stop by here in the Midwest near the Mississippi River.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/15 02:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi 67Avion,

thanks for the offer! One of these days we will need to plan a route from one TCer to the next ;-)

If you pass through S/W germany (though it doesn't sound like it), be sure to stop by!

There is a T/C rallye in northern germany 14-16 August. If you are here in that time range and are interested, pm me for details.

Same goes for all other readers (the stopping by and the rallye).

There sure is a lot to see here as well, no doubt. Different from the wide open spaces, but beautiful none the less.

Best wishes,
Joerg & Janina

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The Ozarks - in search of the spirit of Sam Walton - TR
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.