|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TR: Like it, Love it, Leavitt XTC style

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
anutami

Ramona

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/15 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dakonthemountain wrote:

Were the videos of the truck the "worst" part of the road there? I would SO love to go there. Not with my 2wd dually and monster camper of course, but perhaps a tent and my Subaru Outback. I saw a Honda CRV in one video... was your wife driving separately from the truck, or someone waiting for you "get out of the way?" [emoticon]

Dak

Yeah those are the worst parts. Thats the nice thing with such a huge rig, everybody quickly makes room for me [emoticon] the crv in the pic is a guy who parked there and hiked in. There was another crv at the lake that made it. We saw a subaru up there, chevy tahoe, ford rangers, xterra, several jeeps and a bunch of full size trucks. I doubt you would have any issues.

2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

hedge

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/15 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looked like having a longer wheelbase made it pretty tough. It's not the Rubicon but I thought it was pretty impressive to take a rig very similar to mine through there, I sure don't think I could do it.

2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/15 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anu,
It is difficult to have a bad time on he Leavitt Lake trail. You made it look easy. Yes, the kids will remember this one, and the many to come after.
Fine work here. The photography was excellent. The short vids make the trip come alive.
One of my goals is to be the last rig into Leavitt Lake before the first big snow. Who knows when that would be without checking the NWS website before going. A range would be from October 1st to October 28th for the first snow of any consequence in a NORMAL year. This being a strong El Nino year, all bets are off on the timing or the temp of the precip.
jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/15 03:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonderful. Just great. Love the pictures, and the videos. Of the landscape and off-roading :-)

Thanks so much for taking us along,
Joerg

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/15 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great, just when I thought my bucket list could not get any bigger. GOT to do this one!! Thanks for posting a great TR!!

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

anutami

Ramona

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/15 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

finally time to reply

USAFBILL: My pleasure [emoticon]

hedge: Yes I agree, amazing place

Tiger4x4RV: Thanks, glad you came along

dakonthemountain: yeah I doubt a dually could get up there but it wasn't too bad. That is about as extreme as I would want to put my truck and camper in.

fpoole: yeah fossil falls was a pleasant surprise. When heading up the 395 we are always in a hurry to get to our destination we have always bypassed that area

profdant139: what a great area, I am sure you walking was much faster than me driving.

hedge: It wasn't too crazy, just careful wheel placement and of course I had to post the pictures of the "worst parts". 4 LOW, in Low gear was pretty much norm, but no casualties like jacks hitting, running boards s****es, etc.

jefe 4x4: you were right it was one great adventure. Thanks again. yeah I think the kids are hooked on truck camping [emoticon]

joerg68: your welcome

~DJ~: this place is well worth checking out and a truck and camper makes for one great adventure.

slickrock steve

high desert, california

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/15 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may have missed a great thing at Fossil Falls. There are petroglyphs all over the place, and some are very old. ( Think 12-16 THOUSAND years!)
Also, this was apparently a site that the paleo-indians, primarily the Kawaiisu, Shosone, Kitanamuk, Tubatulabel, and Piutes, used for a meeting, and chipping grounds. There are places where points, and s****ers are very common.
( DO NOT take them!, it is a federal offense if you get caught, and the fines can number in the thousands.)

anutami

Ramona

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/15 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

slickrock steve wrote:

You may have missed a great thing at Fossil Falls. There are petroglyphs all over the place, and some are very old. ( Think 12-16 THOUSAND years!)
Also, this was apparently a site that the paleo-indians, primarily the Kawaiisu, Shosone, Kitanamuk, Tubatulabel, and Piutes, used for a meeting, and chipping grounds. There are places where points, and s****ers are very common.
( DO NOT take them!, it is a federal offense if you get caught, and the fines can number in the thousands.)

I was wondering why there were tons of metates around
[image]

nycsteve

NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/15 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marvelous!

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/15 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great stuff. Loving the location and the offroad action.

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TR: Like it, Love it, Leavitt XTC style
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.