Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: 2500 Ram coil springs

Posted By: H2oSprt on 09/15/15 08:48am

I've searched and I can't find anyone with a 2500 with the coil springs that carry a truck camper. What is the going thought on this set up for truck campers? I found a 2014 that is perfect for me, except perhaps the coil springs. I don't want to make a high dollar mistake.

Thanks

15 expedition El ecoboost

2008 Jayco 12hw

Posted By: romore on 09/15/15 10:19am

Does your camper exceed the truck's payload rating? If not you have nothing to worry about. If it does you need to be looking at a 3500.
Edit: I just read the specs on your camper, you definitely want the 3500.

Posted By: mkirsch on 09/15/15 11:10am

The brochure dry weight for a 2011 Lance 830 is 2322lbs. Add for options, water, propane, and stuff... Probably pushing 3000lbs+ when all is said and done, and that is not even counting passengers.

Normally I'd be in favor of the new technology, especially in this day and age where it can't possibly be a totally awful dangerous failure, but I agree you should probably stick with a leaf sprung truck considering that you're maxxing out the rear axle rating on a 2500 series truck now. There's no data on how a coil spring truck would deal with being maxxed out or mildly overloaded over the long haul.

This coil spring 2500 RAM, IMHO, is an attempt by RAM/Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat/whatever to bring the 2500 truck into the "grocery getter" category. For those that are towing 7000-10000lb trailers and need a little more than a 1500, but don't want the harsh empty ride of a leaf sprung 2500 or 3500 during the 98% of the time they're not towing.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Posted By: mkasner on 09/15/15 12:25pm

Dont even bother with the 2500. Step up to the 3500 with the rear leafs or you will end up spending more money to update the rear suspension on the 2500 and will still exceed weigh limits

Truck Camper - YouTube Channel

Posted By: delosholly on 09/16/15 07:41am

We own a 2014 Ram 2500 with the larger Hemi, long bed, regular cab. Our TC weighs somewhere in the range of 3200-3400 lbs completely loaded. The cargo capacity of our Ram is at 3900lbs, so we are not overloading the truck.

We have the coil springs (I think) and have used this combo now for around 10,000 miles, to include the Rockies. I have had zero issues with the suspension system.

As long as you do not go over the cargo capacity (we have a sticker inside the door that tells us what it is), then all is OK.

Del

Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

Posted By: rider997 on 09/16/15 10:32am

H2oSprt wrote:

I've searched and I can't find anyone with a 2500 with the coil springs that carry a truck camper. What is the going thought on this set up for truck campers? I found a 2014 that is perfect for me, except perhaps the coil springs. I don't want to make a high dollar mistake.

Thanks

Most Ram 2500 owners that I know or have talked to regret putting a heavy TC on the truck. We're talking 60PSI in air bags to get the truck sort of level. Go with the 3500. My Chevrolet 3500HD sits level with stock suspension and 4,000+ lbs in the bed. A similar Ram 2500 sits - and this is not a joke - 4" low in the rear. A Ram 3500 will sag maybe 1" more than the Chevy with the same load, which is easily solved with an off the shelf Torklift product (actual measurements made using identical loads on level concrete in the same location at the same time). F350s seem to be on par with the GM but the current generation has a bit more frame flex when driving.

Posted By: Surf Ram on 09/16/15 11:29am

Depends how heavy your camper is fully loaded. Weigh the truck with all passengers and full tanks and subtract from the gross vehicle weigh will tell you how much you can carry. The coil springs would be a smoother ride. I would recommend an anti sway bar though.

02 Dodge 2500 standard cab 2wd CTD 6 speed
03 Summuerwind 811S

Posted By: F100jetmech on 09/16/15 07:10pm

I traded in my 1998 Chevy for a 2015 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi (with rear coil springs) and it handles my camper just fine without any mods. My camper is around 2800 lbs ready to camp and the truck has a 3200 lb payload rating. I don't see why people are scared of coils as opposed to leaf springs, the coils on the truck are designed to handle the stated payload.

Pat

'15 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi
'06 S&S Montana Bitterroot 8.5ASC
'04 Jetcraft 1625SK 16' boat
'14 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL

Posted By: Bedlam on 09/16/15 07:53pm

Hesitation to using coils over leafs is how you can address sag. There are established products to help leaf springs and less are available for coils.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Posted By: Deb and Ed M on 09/17/15 07:19am

Granted, mine is only a 2014 Ram 1500 (my camper is puny at #1000) - but I couldn't believe how bad it squatted (6") compared to an older Ram 1500 that I use to store the camper on. We added the sausage-shaped air bags that fit inside the coil springs, but we still don't like the ride - it "wallows" a bit too much. Now seeking an F-350 diesel. THAT should have no problems....LOL!!

I agree that my Ram 1500 is just a pretty grocery-getter.

Posted By: DWeikert on 09/17/15 08:15am

F100jetmech wrote:

I don't see why people are scared of coils as opposed to leaf springs, the coils on the truck are designed to handle the stated payload.

One big difference between leaf and coil springs is the rebound. The friction between the leaf springs helps to limit the rebound while coil springs are like airbags and rebound with a force nearly equal to the force that compressed them. The result being leaf springs are less prone to causing side to side sway compared to coil springs and airbags. With coil springs and air bags you're counting on your shocks to dampen the rebound. Nothing wrong with that, just something to be aware of.

To the OP, unless there's some body configuration limitation (like in my case where GM doesn't make an extended cab, 6' bed 3500) I see no reason to go with a 2500 over 3500. Price isn't that much different and you'll have to make fewer modifications to get the same handling. Of course, if there's a 2500 sitting on the lot configured as your dream truck and you can get a good deal on it...

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Posted By: Jfresh on 09/17/15 09:10am

H2oSprt wrote:

Thanks

I actually have a 2500 with coils.

The coils ride better loaded and unloaded hands down. If you are like me you might have your TC on 30% of the time. I use my truck as my daily driver. I actually use my truck to go get groceries. I know crazy. So for me ride is very important.

If the questions is a 2500 with coils vs. springs? Coils win every time. Now if the question is 2500 with coils vs. 3500 with springs? Now you have to consider payload. How much payload do you personally need to feel comfortable hauling your TC. The common consensus typically on this forum is buy as much truck as you can afford. However I felt since I would only be hauling my TC 30% of the time I was comfortable being closer to my max payload when loaded. To offset being near my max payload and reduce any sag I added after market airbags.

For me my set up works perfect for my needs. Great ride when empty and great handling when loaded.

2015 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 3.73 4x4 Mega Cab, TOYO MT 4080LBS, Ride Rite Air Bags, Torklift SuperHitch and Tie Downs.
2015 Lance 865

Posted By: Grit dog on 09/17/15 12:58pm

Bedlam wrote:

Hesitation to using coils over leafs is how you can address sag. There are established products to help leaf springs and less are available for coils.

Bingo. I like the coil rears but would not have them on my personal truck if I was intending on loading it to the point that it needed extra help.
Options to shore up leaf sprung axles are numerous and cheap.
Only real coil spring option I can think of is bags inside the springs which is more involved to install than most leaf spring options.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Posted By: Bedlam on 09/17/15 02:41pm

I'm pretty sure Timbrens or Work Rites could be used with the coil rear, but at some point you may start looking for a coil swap for a heavier spring rate. It would be nice if they had preload adjustments like off-road shocks.

Posted By: H2oSprt on 09/17/15 06:07pm

With my campers weight I'm right at 3200 pounds with water and propane but no extra camping gear. I'm sure a 3500 would be a better move, I've just had a hard time finding what I like on the used market.

3500 4x4 short bed crew cab AND the gas 6.4. I just may have to search for a while...

Posted By: Deb and Ed M on 09/18/15 07:24am

Grit dog wrote:

Only real coil spring option I can think of is bags inside the springs which is more involved to install than most leaf spring options.

Our mechanic said they slid into the coils quite easily; and the whole hookup was a piece of cake. It's recommended to keep the pressure at around 5 psi minimum, so the bags don't get pinched - the only drawback I'm noticing (with camper unloaded from the truck) is that this raises the back end a bit, so my headlights only shine out about 30' unless I use high beams....LOL! Of course my truck looks kind of jacked-up and "aggressive", which I don't mind ;-)

Print  |  Close