|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report : Quebec and New England

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/15 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sunday 13th September : Bromont

In the morning Derek and I take the class C to the local dump station to dump grey and black water and fill the drinking water tank.

On the way back we take a detour to a propane station where they fill the propane tank for us. Yes, I could have just taken the camper back to the rental station and had them refill it for a fee saving the time, but we wanted to see what the mechanism was for refilling a fixed tank as seem to be commonly fitted to class Cs; and it turned out to be pretty straight forward.

Back at the house all four of us then took the car into Bromont for a look around and to buy a pie for dinner; it is a lovely little town:

[image]

First signs of the fall appearing:

[image]

Luckily this bird hadn't seen Sally with the hunting jacket and shotgun:

[image]

Back at the house Nikki baked up the pie for us - a local meat pie, and very delicious. Then a wonderful final evening talking about endeavours past and future before we all retired exhausted.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/15 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monday 14th September : Montreal

It had been a great 9 days and Derek and Nikki's hospitality had been wonderful and generous. It was sad to be leaving them, but it was now time to hit the road.

As expected traffic was bad over the Champlain bridge. Things weren't helped by my GPS having an out of date map, so we missed a freeway turn. Most importantly though we arrived back at the rental station just before 11:00 - any later and there would be a substantial late return fee.

A different rental guy was working this day, and very efficient he was too. We had done slightly higher mileage than we had bought so had to pay an extra 0.34 CAD per km + tax. This is something to be aware of when renting RVs, in North America at least. In other parts of the world we have had unlimited mileage agreements. Rental guy ordered us a local taxi who had us at the airport very quickly. This was still 7 hours before check-in for our flight, so we dumped our bags at the airport luggage store for 7.5 CAD each (you need ID and a copy of your boarding pass, ticket or flight literary - maybe to stop people using it to store things for nefarious purposes.

Then for 10 CAD each we purchased one-day travel tickets and took the 747 bus into the city centre for a look around:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Then check-in, airline lounge, upgraded seats on the way back (just as well, sleeping in coach overnight isn't fun) and a taxi waiting for us at Heathrow Airport.

It had been a lovely trip and was wonderful to spend time with Derek and Nikki again. I must thank them so much for their hospitality and the effort they went to for us.

Steve.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/15 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you very much for sharing with us. You took us to a lot of places we hadn't been before... and in a strange vehicle. trip reports are the things that dreams are made of.... and you and Sally do a great job of getting us started.

Fantastic trip report!

Chet and Janet

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/15 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report! Glad to see that you're back on this side of the Atlantic. I hope to get up there someday.

DiploStrat

Arlington VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/15 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report and love the sidewalk/leaves photo.

Glad you had a good visit. (And thank you for supporting the balance of payments in Freeport.)

DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

NoVa RT

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/15 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like some great spots for the rest of us to check out! Excellent report.

2013 RT 190-Popular

Oldtymeflyr

Arapahoe Hills, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/15 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always fun. Thanks.

Rick

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/15 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the excellent trip report.

Your attention to detail makes it easier for us to share the experience.

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/15 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi ya Steve and Sally, Silver and Dunes! What a great write-up, I'm jealous on so many levels yet appreciative of the trip report and the showing of rv.net alumni.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/15 04:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Steve & Sally (and the Silvers),

thanks for the great trip report! Now I want to go and book a trip myself.

My company has offices in Montreal, but so far I was unable to score a business trip there. I got a chance to see the city back in the 90s and liked it a lot then. Somehow that part of Canada felt like an exact mixture between the US and France (which is right at my front door so I go there often)

Thanks for taking us there again with your pictures!

Glad you liked the small Class C! Our experience with that particular rental company was less than stellar. You do know that in Canada you can rent actual truck campers, right? Over at Fraserway, albeit only in Toronto and Halifax on the eastern side.

Thanks again,
Janina and Joerg

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report : Quebec and New England
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.