RV.Net Open Roads Forum: FMC #1046 converted from Chrysler 440 to Duramax diesel

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> FMC #1046 converted from Chrysler 440 to Duramax diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/15 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting project. When I was active in the Michigan Knights FMCA club there was always a few FMC motorhomes at the GLASS rally's. Enjoyed spending time talking MH's. One member from western MI. was always talking about installing a diesel in his like others had. I am sure Barney is following your project.

* This post was edited 10/21/15 04:22am by ronfisherman *

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

BigRabbitMan

Cottage Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/15 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ronfisherman wrote:

Interesting project. When I was active in the Michigan Knights FMCA club there was always a few FMC motorhomes at the GLASS rally's. Enjoyed spending time talking MH's. One member from western MI. was always talking about installing a diesel in his like others had. I am sure Barney is following your project.

Yes, Barney has been following it. While I live in OR, I expect to see Barney next June at a rally in Carthage, MO.

I have subsequently checked my speedometer against my GPS and they actually match so all of my dash and DIC info is correct within the limits of GM's accuracy. That is convenient as no translations of data are needed. For the first 250 miles I have averaged 12.9 mpg as compared to the 7.0 I got with the 440. That will increase with highway miles and decrease when I hook my toad up.

BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/15 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve, I doubt you will see much difference with the toad as the MH is the most drag you will encounter, unless you get into some very steep climbs. 12.9 is very impressive mileage for something that weight and frontal area.

Wildmanbaker

BigRabbitMan

Cottage Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/15 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildmanbaker wrote:

Steve, I doubt you will see much difference with the toad as the MH is the most drag you will encounter, unless you get into some very steep climbs. 12.9 is very impressive mileage for something that weight and frontal area.

You were correct in that on Wednesday when I went home to Oregon with my newly running coach with the Brat in tow, for the 583 mile trip up I-5 I got 13.1 mpg. That was from the DIC and by careful filling of the tank at both ends of the trip.

And, yes, it is more than what I was expecting considering that the trip involved two passes of 3000+- and the Siskiyou Pass at 4300 ft with 7 mile 6% grades on both sides. I need to increase the heat rejection rate for the grades, but it is a very fun and enjoyable coach to drive. It can pull 6% grades at over 60 mph!

EdNdonna

Tipton,Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/15 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's just plain cool Steve. you made a heck of a nice rig out of that.

2006 Fleetwood Bounder 34H Cat C7 300hp

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/15 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watched your video's. Great project and great outcome.

">Never pass up a chance to go somewhere">

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/15 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always admired people who not only can they come up with good ideas/projects, but can also keep working on them until finished. I can imagine the feeling of accomplishment when you first drove it. It's pretty amazing really. I hope you get to see lots of drive time in this great motorhome. Thanks for all the photos and videos. I betcha most of us wish we could've been there. Congratulations

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

BigRabbitMan

Cottage Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/15 11:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thank all of you for your kind comments. It felt great to actually drive it while knowing it was something that I created. And as a bonus, it performed just as I had imagined that it would.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/15 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BigRabbitMan wrote:

I thank all of you for your kind comments. It felt great to actually drive it while knowing it was something that I created. And as a bonus, it performed just as I had imagined that it would.

My Son, who is visiting us right now, has that same engine/transmission combo in his 2500 Chevy pick-up. He uses it to tow a 5th wheel. Modifications done to his combo include a 4" exhaust, a cold air intake, and a programmable monitor that allows him to make changes to the engine computer "on the fly" to adjust for various conditions. It is a great combo for your coach. Congrats!

EdNdonna

Tipton,Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/16 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

how's the rig doing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> FMC #1046 converted from Chrysler 440 to Duramax diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.