|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Best All Year Four Seasons Full Time Fifth Wheels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
MeetTheMark

St Paul, MN (PT-CA)

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/15 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A true all year, all seasons full time fifth wheel main factor is it has to withstand temps below 0 and above 100 with no issue. Extreme inter rigid construction. Continuous full time living in extreme temps, stand alone house on wheels.
These are the very few, most expensive, heaviest, luxurious "try to play with me" monsters that no other trailer nor fifth comes near.
By actual specs: 40k+ furnaces, 30+ r values and extensive under carriage blown heating (not only just mere heating pads). The largest fifth wheels sheer size and space accommodate what is needed to hold high level specs needed. They are not trailers nor toy haulers. You get what you pay for.

You think not, challenge?
Currently, alot of makers make claims here and there but for the most part, in the end they will not stand up by itself to extensive periods of time through all extreme seasons.
Go to RV Trader, RVT, etc. and put in the highest priced fivers (non toy hauler). Download from each maker's site the pdf spec sheet. You will be shocked. Why are they so pricey, some more expensive than some homes? Construction, durable long lasting - come rain or shine. Old man Canadian winter or Arizona heatwave summer. And, oh yes, let's not play here: You will be paying for the propane to run the beast, but... no skirting needed.
The chosen few are The Stand Alones.

These are the fifth wheels -
Forest River - Cardinal, RiverStone.
Thor - Landmark. DRV - Mobile Suites, Elite Suites.
Crossroads - Redwood.

Independent lines -
Forks RV - Continental Coach (custom made).
New Horizons (custom made (post added and confirmed - you are correct Colliehauler).

Recent Past Orphaned Lines -
Evergreen - Lifestyle Luxury, Bay Hill.
Carriage - Carri Lite, Royals.
DRV - Tradition, Estates.
Newmar - Kountry Aire.
Teton - Royal, Experience.

Note: Popular notions -
Good brands like Cedar Creek, Montana lines are not true 4 seasons fivers. New recent high specs are specialized order, not standard.
Nuwa and orphaned Excel lines lack in overall extreme r values.
Carriage Cameo line falls into the upper mid fiver level, like Montana or Cedar Creek.
Always trusted and respected Arctic Fox's quality line is considered upper mid. Models listed above as best now far exceed AF's specs.

Regards,
Mark

* This post was last edited 09/21/16 05:14pm by MeetTheMark *   View edit history

WyoTraveler

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/15 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think one of the reasons newer RVs don't have a lot of insulation etc. is weight. In the future all will be lighter and cheaper. Plus RVers are awed with things they can see. Insulation and under belly heat cost money to install but bright shiny bells and whistles dazzle shoppers. Just a few are looking for quality. They don't build for the few. Sometimes they offer add ons but not true 4 season.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/15 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have to disagree on some Excel had a 0 degree guarantee (little good now) and Nuwa another orphan that used Dow blue foam in the walls. I used the same stuff in my basement and works well. And you left out New Horizon another good unit.

Most units are built as low cost vacation units to compete with other brands price point

Regardless how well insulated they are I think the windows and doors are the weak link. Excel was one of the few that used insulated access doors.

Nuwa in addition to the blue Dow foam had a attic or dead air space to deal with moisture that was vented.

Some of the older RV's were built very well such as Teton, Travel Supreme, Holiday Rambler Inperial.

* This post was edited 10/18/15 12:22pm by colliehauler *

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/15 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having lived in our 5vr FT for 7yrs in -14*F temps and 110*F temps I would have to say it is a 4 season RV built for FT

I really don't understand the intent of your post.....nor your qualifications for your statements.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

jsr21

Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/15 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MeettheMark...your line up has a few holes in it.
Not a chance Cardinal is in the top with Lifestyle and DRV.
Cardinal is similar to Monatna...good coaches but not comparable
at all.

And...Cameo can definitely be included in Carriage's lineup

Also...R Values are very misleading from manufacturers. There is more
than one way to calculate R values. I believe a Cougar boasted
R40 for their floors as well as a few other mid level units...does that make it a better cold weather unit
than R29 in a DRV Mobile Suites?

And Nuwa HH is an excellent 4 season coach

Chicat

Phoenix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/15 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best thing about full timing is you do not have to be concerned, travel with the moderate temps.

MeetTheMark

St Paul, MN (PT-CA)

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/15 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cardinal. New ones go for over a 100k for a reason. Read your manuals. I will die in a Cougar, Cameo and Nuwa. But, you can have at em. Lord!

* This post was edited 10/20/15 12:34pm by MeetTheMark *

jsr21

Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/15 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read the manuals?? **** that's what I've been doing wrong lol

gitane59

Ontario, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/15 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting first two introductory post ever from this RV.net newbie. I'm trying to understand his intentions and motives are for his post's. His fact's while somewhat accurate have several questionable facts.

DRV is no longer a "Stand Alone", they are owned by Thor.
He is excluding Spacecraft RV from the super high-end list with Fork's RV and New Horizon's RV.
i certainly don't see Bay Hill, Cardinal as a high-end four season unit at all

Some comments are not understandable.
Such as, what is "Extreme inter rigid construction".
and "I will die in a Cougar, Cameo and Nuwa. But, you can have at em. Lord!"

MeetTheMark: May I suggest you re-introduce yourself and let us known why you joined RV.net and how we can help your enjoy the RV lifestyle.

* This post was edited 10/18/15 05:36pm by gitane59 *

2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

MeetTheMark

St Paul, MN (PT-CA)

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/15 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gitane59,

All aluminum super structure. Bay Hill has risen. Lifestyle Luxury and Bay Hill are actually below Cardinal. Stand alone is meaning here to stand on their own operating under all conditions.
I own a Elite Suites Memphis and now I want to buy my sister and brother in law a high end fiver for the 10 year union.
It gets real old hearing the bells and whistles about a starter pup Montana or a tart Nuwa. You are not going to tell me Scottsdale is better than Palm Springs. Don't think so.

Not 2003, but today. Big play is in my OP.
Do you really think mega FR is going to present their best high end fiver to compare with a mid or upper mid fiver?
Full timing weather wise in the lower regions is quite, quite different than full timing in the northern regions.
Most any say Hitchhiker or Rushmore with the said "polar pack" will get you there all year staying in the fairly moderate lower regions weather zones.

I need contention, brilliance. Wyotraveler and Collierhauler has taken me there. Any new, true top end fiver start ups out there? Perhaps a unknown, micro Indiana company? Stanford, not USC. You then will enhance my membership here at RV Net.

* This post was last edited 10/26/15 07:06am by MeetTheMark *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Best All Year Four Seasons Full Time Fifth Wheels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS