RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Glow Step Revolution: Pros & Cons (See Update in 1st Post)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Glow Step Revolution: Pros & Cons (See Update in 1st Post)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
edatlanta

Maplesville, AL - Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/15 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Ed, be sure to check out my post on installation over on the DIY forum -- you may not need to do any welding. Just a little drilling. And some folks have found that they did not even need to do that. But welding or not, I would bet that your young strong nephew will come in real handy when it comes time to install! [emoticon]

I'm sure you are right about no welding. I just mentioned my nephew's occupation since he is definitely experienced in metal work and has the necessary tools for drilling or grinding if needed. Not to mention a back much stronger than mine and the agility to get into cramped positions better than me.

Thanks for your reply and your post. I expect the install will go smoothly and since I already have a floor jack holding it in place shouldn't be a problem.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/15 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also received the Glowstep offer The following is a report I posted after installing them
" I just installed the Torkelift 3 step unit on my TT. So far I think they are a better step than the Flexco that I removed. The Flexco steps were starting to Rust after a year and they were much heavier than the Torklift product. I had to remove the original mounting Brackets that were on the TT as they were 3/8 too narrow for the Torklift steps to fit into. I also found that because there is little clearance side to side it was easier to install the mounting bracket and then put the Torkilft steps up as an assembly. All In all it took about 3 hours to assemble if I could have just removed the Flexco steps and mounted the Torklifts it would have been less than an hour. As far as operating them it is fairly easy. I had them on an incline and put one side of the landing feet out 1 notch further than the other and they worked fine. I think the safety pin that Torklift makes a point out of telling you to install during use and storage, should have a safety wire keeping it connected to the stair assembly. I think there is plenty of adjustability and I think they will work fine in most terrains. The deployment is a little longer than the Flexco but as the OP said I am retired so not a problem. Two downsides are that the landing feet protude up ever so little above the front of the bottom step at the corner and I wonder if it will be a trip point. The second downside is the Safety Bail Pin is not an integrated part of the stairs and is an extra step during those quick in and outs such as the rest area. With a little design effort the safety could have been provided with a tab that would be moved out of the lock position before deployment. Maybe a little nit picking but I can see that Bail pin getting lost on a regular basis. I think the Revolution Glow steps will be a great after market product Certainly more stability at a light weight. PArt of the pressure is taken by the landing feet so less strain on the side of the TT. They are aluminium so they will look better for a much longer time and no rust."

2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

93Cobra2771

East Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/15 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice write up!

Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Bigbird65

Arlington Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/15 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also took up the offer from Torklift on a 3 step unit. Before I mention the pros and cons of the unit I will say that if I had bought it the money would have been well spent. In early November we completed a 4 state 21 day camping trip, 10 camp sites, and 3433 miles. The steps got a real workout and performed 100%.

It is a very well engineered product. My DW, with her back problems (2 surgeries), is extremely pleased with the unit. It is much easier now for her to enter and exit the trailer.

I have to echo all of the previously mentioned advantages such as stability, ease of deployment and retraction.

During installation I did have to drill clearance holes in the trailer brackets for the pivot bolts and reassemble the frame in place. Fortunately, in my case, I did not have to drill additional mounting holes for the main mounting bolts.

The spring loaded pin used to secure the GSR has a pretty strong spring. I decided to use a pad lock in place of the pin.

To adjust the landing gear the buttons are very difficult to depress when you need to change positions due to the very strong spring behind the buttons. A lighter spring would help. The adjustable landing gear is one of GSRs best features.

I don't think dust and dirt will really reduce the life span of the GSR. Just normal cleaning will take care of that.

Torklift did send out an extensive questionnaire on how to improve the product that I received while on our trip. Everything was fresh on my mind and I offered suggestions on how to improve the product with special emphasis on making the pivot bolts flush with the sides so that the GSR becomes a true no modification bolt in. I do complement Torklift on seeking feedback from their customers.

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 11/24/15 12:19pm by Bigbird65 *

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Hornnumb2

Baytown, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/15 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my set in one of those sites I hoped it would help in. It just didn't quite have enough adjustment to work here. It seems that they will need some lubing also as they are getting harder to put in. The one thing I don't like about them is the time it takes to put them out. Sometimes we stop on the side of the road and grab something from the trailer and the factory flip took just a few seconds.

[image]

Bigbird65

Arlington Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/15 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hornnumb2 wrote:

Here is my set in one of those sites I hoped it would help in. It just didn't quite have enough adjustment to work here. It seems that they will need some lubing also as they are getting harder to put in. The one thing I don't like about them is the time it takes to put them out. Sometimes we stop on the side of the road and grab something from the trailer and the factory flip took just a few seconds.

Looks to me like your trailer is up pretty high. If needed you can add another step. Torklift has all of the needed hardware. Possibly you can get a longer landing gear.

Instead if lubricating, which attracts dirt, you can adjust all of the bolts by unscrewing 1/8 to 1/4 turn depending on how much looseness you need.

Hornnumb2

Baytown, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/15 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer is factory height, but on sites that have small pads the stairs often come off the side. I inquired about adding a step and Torklift is happy to oblige. I will just have to see how it will work in a standard site with 4 steps. I would take a lot to take it on and off just a inconvenience. I wish there was a way to fold a step under when not needed and out when needed.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/15 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bigbird, that's a great tip about loosening the pivot points -- I am going to give that a try.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Bigbird65

Arlington Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/15 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Bigbird, that's a great tip about loosening the pivot points -- I am going to give that a try.

I wasn't referring to the two pivot bolts on the frame but to all the bolts that hold the scissors to the steps. Lots of them. After you have loosened a few test the action. Don't worry about the bolts coming out because they go into a nylon insert lock nut. You can "tune" the step to just the right amount of stiffness.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/15 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right -- I understood that you meant the many "scissor bolts," for lack of a better term. I really like the idea about tuning the steps -- very clever.

(See end of first post in this thread -- if you try to tune the scissor bolts yourself, be very careful. I tried it -- big failure -- and re-tightened all the bolts)

* This post was edited 11/25/15 05:20pm by profdant139 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Glow Step Revolution: Pros & Cons (See Update in 1st Post)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS