|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cassette toilet/shower

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This post is from 2016 and immediately went off topic, and OP never posted pics.

Yes, I agree, bathrooms are a huge waste of space for some people, esp i a TC. It all depends on what your needs are. For the guy who spends just seconds a day using the toilet then a portable toilet is ideal and easier to dump. If you always shower outside then an inside shower is just a big air space to haul around for no reason.
I always remove the toilets and use a portable, but I have kept the interior intact for re-sale and just put toilet back in.
I do like to have an inside shower, but it is not necessary and just depends on the size of the camper. SO far this year I have taken all showers outside except for one.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/22 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those with cassette toilets, is finding a place to empty the cassette ever a problem? After 22 years of rving I'm tired of dumping, leaking valves, and a leaking toilet.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/22 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have regular access to a dump station, the traditional black water holding tank makes a lot of sense. If you are judicious with water usage, the larger volume should result in longer times between dumps and less handling of the sewage.

If you don't have regular access to dump stations, I would move to a composting toilet. We had one on our boat and the solids container was good for around a month. The liquids had to be dumped every 2-3 days but you could dump it in any toilet (pit toilet, standard toilet, etc...). Plus if you are out in remote areas, #1 would typically be behind a convenient tree/bush, so the liquids container might be good for a week or more just used for nighttime trips. Far easier to carry a 2 gallon liquid container with no solids vs cassette. If you are truly in a remote area digging a small hole and dumping/burying the liquid is very much viable. It requires no water source. Probably the biggest advantage is there is zero sewer smell.

We've used a cassette a few times on rental units and the limited storage and smell made it less desirable.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/22 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

For those with cassette toilets, is finding a place to empty the cassette ever a problem? After 22 years of rving I'm tired of dumping, leaking valves, and a leaking toilet.

I have one in my van and LOVE IT!! It is only me and I do try to use other bathrooms when possible but love having it when it is -30 or if I am someplace without toilets.

As for dumping I dump in any toilet (flush or pit) or if I am around a free RV dump I dump it there. When really cold it is great as no frozen valves.

One thing I have done and think I may keep doing is that in the off season I fill the water tank with RV antifreeze and in the summer I add a little in there when I add water so I get ZERO smells.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/22 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

This old thread keeps coming back to life. Anyway I did provide some information on dumping when I posted last Fall. As a quick summary, with two of us using the toilet almost exclusively (I often pee in the woods), the cassette needs to be dumped every few days. No doubt about it that is a nuisance. I typically dump at a regular dump station or dump into an outhouse. I have dumped in regular toilets but not when others are around. Unless I use a lot of chemicals, the odor in an enclosed area is bad.

I can give an example of the difference in dumping a cassette versus a black tank. Mammoth campground is one of my favorite areas in Yellowstone. The campground is large but without a dump station. If no one is around, I often use the flush toilet for dumping. Otherwise there are several nearby outhouses. If I had a black tank, the round trip to the Madison Campground dump is 70 miles and would take at least 2 hours. It seems there is always construction, tourist traffic or bison blocking the road. You would be lucky to do the round trip including dumping in under 4 hours.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cassette toilet/shower
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.