RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: A ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK WINTER OUTING

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> A ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK WINTER OUTING

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
usmcshepherd

Commerce City, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/16 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I was finally able to get all the stars aligned and get the family out for a quick camping outing this weekend to RMNP! This has been an on going challenge between basketball, sickness, church activities and weather! Anyway, with a slight warming trend that brought night time temps out of the single digits we ventured off into the moutains for a quick get away of s'more over an open fire, surrounded by the elk of RMNP and its snow covered peaks. Best of all Moraine Park Campground was deserted except for one other van camper when we got there....other than that we had the place to ourselves (minus the elk) which is the complete opposite come warmer weather when that place fills up with hundreds of people...which is when we go looking for other more remote places to camp!

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

We hope to do this again soon, and hopefully this time we'll go for more than just an overnight adventure. This time we went without adding water to the system and just used bottle water to drink, wash dishes and brush teeth. As easy as it is to winterize these new campers and as warm as the compartments are (I opened the control panel door that contains the black/grey tank pull valves and it was actually toasty in there) I wouldn't be concerned with adding water to the system the next time and just re-treating the system. Anyway...hope you enjoyed!!!

2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

elwood58

Orange County CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/16 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love the post, and the TC setup.

2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C

brirene

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/16 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice! Thanks for posting that!

Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/16 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a great time!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

exhaustipated

Topeka, Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/16 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks to me like you and your family had a great time even if it was for a short time. Thanks for sharing your pics.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

insp1505

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/16 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I can't believe how much snow is in your pictures. I just dug my camper out of the back yard last week under almost 2 feet of snow. Hopefully I'll be getting out real soon too.

[image]

If you bring enough propane to keep the furnace going you won't freeze the pipes even if it gets down around zero. If it's going to be below 0 though I just sit at home by the fireplace cause it's too cold for me to play anyway. I'm fine if it gets down around zero at night but returns to at least the 20's during the day.

idaho_camper

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/16 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice to see a fellow TC'er who's not afraid to get out in the white stuff. I am really digging your Lance 1172. It's gotta be a heavy S.O.B., but the floor plan and amenities are awesome.

Thanks for the pics. Love the blaze orange hat, BTW. My 4 year old son is totally into those, too.

Steeljag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/16 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pics, thanks for posting. Did you have TV, and or cell reception out there?

2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/16 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pix of your outing. Love seeing the elk and happy campers. Nothing wrong with using water jugs for such a short outing. I'm surprised at how little snow there is on the ground there. Particularly funny since I'm looking out at a solid cover of snow here in TN. We got about 8" on Friday, a lot for this area.

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/16 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting this reminder that TC owners can make a weekend trip with the kids, easily. Hope to hear more from others, doing the same thing during the winter season.

b

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> A ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK WINTER OUTING
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.