|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Frost control

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
'tiredTeacher

Richmond, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/16 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reefer in my 1995 Sunline had a switch on the front to operate the frost control for humid conditions. The reefer in my 2014 Rockwood has no switch, BUT I've seen on forums where folks have discovered that their units had such a heating device, only it was always "on" instead of being switched. Now, having a 12V heating element on all the time isn't good for boondocking.
So, how do I determine if my Dometic model DM2652LBX (ser.#31389593) has such a situation?
My manual covers several models so it is no help.

Thanx,
Teach

Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/16 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

'tiredTeacher wrote:

The reefer in my 1995 Sunline had a switch on the front to operate the frost control for humid conditions. The reefer in my 2014 Rockwood has no switch, BUT I've seen on forums where folks have discovered that their units had such a heating device, only it was always "on" instead of being switched. Now, having a 12V heating element on all the time isn't good for boondocking.
So, how do I determine if my Dometic model DM2652LBX (ser.#31389593) has such a situation?
My manual covers several models so it is no help.

Thanx,
Teach

I think it's same to assume your fridge has one, and it's always on.

Feel the door-seal area of your reefer. Mine is noticeably warm from the always-on heater (Norcold here).

An old resi-reefer at my folks had an "ECO SWITCH" that turned the door seal heater on/off. They bought that in the late 80s. The fridge from my dorm, and the one I bought after buying my first house both have always-on heaters, as well as the Norcold in my RV.

If you're feeling brave, you could open up the control panel, find the plug for the heater on the control board and splice in a switch.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/16 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

'tiredTeacher wrote:

Our 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express has the same fridge, it does have the climate control heating element but no switch for turning it off regardless of the schematics that indicates it does. The solution is simple though - just add your own switch, just as I did ... no need to open any "control panel". Pics are in my gallery.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Ava

Vancouver Island. BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/16 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 94 rig has the switch on the outside of door to set off or on. It is another one of those improvements on newer units that probably should have been left alone

Okie1

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/16 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about RV refrigerators but residential units have not used stile heaters in many years. They route the return line (which is hot)around the door and mullion area to reduce moisture.

2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/16 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is not what the switch does. It is moisture control around the door seal, not frost control if anything turning it on will INCREASE frost build up.

Just so you know

There is also an LAT (low ambient temp) switch,, you can simulate that one by simply bypassing the door switch for the light. That is what it does.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/16 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the wiring diagram on the back- it will show it. There was a thread about that a while ago- some models you can disconnect it at the back, some you have to go to the interior light switch (IIRC).
On Dometic refrigerators, the product number is the most important- it will show every variation.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

'tiredTeacher

Richmond, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/16 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

The solution is simple though - just add your own switch, just as I did ... no need to open any "control panel". Pics are in my gallery.

Thank you, sir. That's what I needed to know.

Teach

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/16 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okie1 wrote:

I don't know about RV refrigerators but residential units have not used stile heaters in many years. They route the return line (which is hot)around the door and mullion area to reduce moisture.

Neat, that's a good re-use of waste heat, and explains why the switch to turn it off went away.

'tiredTeacher

Richmond, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/16 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

I think it's safe to assume your fridge has one, and it's always on.

You are correct! I called the Dometic folks, was put on hold for about 5 min. while the tech rep researched the issue and was told it is always on. When it warms up a bit, I'll see if the wire is accessible at the light switch. The climate control and interior light are on the same circuit.

Teach

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Frost control
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS