RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 2015 Summer Journey, Canadian Crossing part 2

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2015 Summer Journey, Canadian Crossing part 2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/16 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2015 Summer Journey
Canadian Crossing
Part 2

June 21, 2015…Sunday
We had a restful, dim lighted night next to the Safeway here in Smithers, Canada. During our sleeping time, a fellow RVer pulled in and parked a couple of spaces beyond us. I was able to talk with them, they’re Canadians doing some traveling in their rig that was custom built by the couple.

Here’s a video I did, it’s about 15 minutes long.

Canadian Crossing, part 1, click on pic for video
[image]

[image] [image]
Hudson Bay Mountain peaks (Bulkey Ranges) are covered in snow with a fluffy cap of clouds making it look like a lazy day.

[image]

After a light breakfast, we secured the camper and motored on out of town taking in some of the roadside sights.

[image] [image]

Continuing on the Yellowhead Hwy 16 towards Steward, Canada, we made a stop at Glacier View rest area for the view of the glacier. This places us just south of Evelyn, Canada, a better view of the snow-capped mountains of the Bulkey Ranges.

[image] [image]

Our bucket list stop that we needed to get to was Steward, Canada; all other stops were simply because we wanted to. Yellowhead Highway 16 snaked its way through several small township with plenty of stop off areas to behold Mother Nature snow cap mountains.

[image] [image]
[image] [image]

In New Hazelton, we pulled over into a somewhat empty lot to take some photos of Red Rose Mt, part of the Roche De Boule Range (Bulkey Ranges).

[image] [image] [image]

As we pass through this quiet town, some activity was at a local swap meet.

[image] [image] [image]

Soon the quiet town of New Hazelton was a number of miles behind us as we motor on one of the few stretches of road that sport a 100 km/h speed limit (62mph). We traveled on into the Kitsegukla Indian Reserve 1 crossing the Kitsegukla River that joins the Skeena River at this point.

[image] [image] [image]

Reaching Cassiar Hwy 37 (aka Dease Lake Hwy), the road taking us in a more north direction. About 140km from Steward we stopped at a small bridge crossing to stretch our legs and some more photographic shutter bugging.

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

There was some evidence a bear had been across the road near the bridge, he left his calling card on the road. Back on the road through a corridor of asphalt hugging trees we are motoring to Meziadin Jctn. Making a pit stop at Brown Bear rest area, lots of room for any size vehicle.

[image] [image] [image]

Like the pervious roads, we had just traveled so far on the Cassiar 37 the nature beauty abounds everywhere.

After using the rest stop facilities and some more photo shots it’s on the road again, we haven’t seen another vehicle in awhile and no sooner said a TC comes towards us. A few more miles down the road, some of the Boundary Mountain Range comes into view.

[image] [image]

Along the way we saw several logging area, after that I began to noticed that that road hugging trees was just a façade to hide the clear cutting method that was being done.

[image]

Before reaching Meziadin Jctn in the early afternoon a bear had walked across the road in front of us, it was quite the sight. We headed west on Highway 37a to Steward, Canada and Hyder, Alaska. At Meziadin Jctn., there is a store for buying fuel, food and other items.

[image] [image] [image]

Highway 37a funnels down a ever narrowing valley (Cambria Mountain Range) with small ponds and creeks that can be seen from the highway. Mountains towering above up, snow packed pecks reflecting the afternoon sun light as we motored on to Bear Glacier.

[image] [image]

Soon we are at Strohn Lake being fed by Bear Glacier; we did stop here to look at this close wonderful sight, taking in Mother Nature’s creation with many other sightseers.

[image] [image] [image]

Day light was moving on and it was time to think about a spot to spend over night at. Highway37a narrowed even more with the glacier fed Bear River running alongside the highway. Once in Steward, it was decided to settle down at Bear River RV Park, it was time for a shower and to do laundry, this was the only place during our journey we had to exchange U.S currency for Canadian currency, which the owner of the Bear River RV Park was glad to do.

[image] [image] [image] [image]

Longer daylight was becoming more appearance to us and we had already begun to use the window sunlight blockers, with them in place our TC became a little mobile cave. Hyder, Alaska and main part of Steward was our agenda for the next day.

[image] [image]

Thanks to everyone for reading my TCTRs, all comments are welcome and if you have any questions ask them here or PM me.

Link toCanadian Crossing, part 1

Working on part 3 Canadian Crossing, will post as soon as it’s done.

Thanks, c.traveler2 (Alex Blasingame).

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

DOITHARD

Rancho Palos Verdes

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/16 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice!

Quick questions, how did you attached the winch to front end and size?

'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/16 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the post Alex. Love the pics.
Our plan is to head out of Southern Ontario at the end of May for Alaska, Yukon, Northwest Territory, B.C. and back down through the USA back home.
Guess I had better learn how to post pictures.
Brian

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/16 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOITHARD wrote:

Very nice!

Quick questions, how did you attached the winch to front end and size?

The winch mount is one that my friend and I manufactured, it's bolted to the frame where the tow loops were bolted to. The winch itself is a Recon 17,500 Lbs, the winch plate is welded to the mounting frame we made. At the time I was checking into an electric winch this one had the highest pull rating I could find.

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was last edited 04/11/16 12:53am by c.traveler2 *   View edit history

DOITHARD

Rancho Palos Verdes

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/16 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a great install...

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/16 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeti plus wrote:

Thanks for the post Alex. Love the pics.
Our plan is to head out of Southern Ontario at the end of May for Alaska, Yukon, Northwest Territory, B.C. and back down through the USA back home.
Guess I had better learn how to post pictures.
Brian

You'll need a host site for you photos and there's a tutorial some where on RV.net on how to post photos, I use smugmug.com as my hosting site. Enjoy your trip and are going as far north as Deadhorse/ Prudhoe Bay?

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/16 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love the glacier.

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/16 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going as far as the Arctic Circle and turning back south.
Looking at Alaska websites, Deadhorse seemed to be pretty much a lot of driving for not a lot of bang for the buck. We are planning to fly from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk NWT to dip our toes in the Arctic Ocean.
I was just reading today that the road crew from the south and from the north had met and the expected completion date of the road from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk is Fall 2017. I guess we will have to make a return trip to drive that.[emoticon]
Brian

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/16 01:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeti plus wrote:

We are going as far as the Arctic Circle and turning back south.
Looking at Alaska websites, Deadhorse seemed to be pretty much a lot of driving for not a lot of bang for the buck. We are planning to fly from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk NWT to dip our toes in the Arctic Ocean.
I was just reading today that the road crew from the south and from the north had met and the expected completion date of the road from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk is Fall 2017. I guess we will have to make a return trip to drive that.[emoticon]
Brian

We had enjoyed going up into Deadhorse/Prudhoe bay and we had made reservation for the Prudhoe Bay tour through Deadhorse CampDeadhorse camp. One doesn't have a clue as to the complex operation going on up there till we did the tour and up can swim in the Arctic Ocean on the tour just bring dry clothes, warm clothes.

Butch50

Bentonville, AR

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/16 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex,

Great photos and the video was good also. Looks like a lot of the same things we saw on our 2013 trip and the same route except ours was reversed of yours. We came south on the Cassiar.

Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2017 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2018 Grand Design 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2015 Summer Journey, Canadian Crossing part 2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.