RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 2015 Summer Journey, Canadian Crossing part3

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2015 Summer Journey, Canadian Crossing part3

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/16 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terrific pics and narrative, Alex. Thanks for sharing your travels with us.

2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/16 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

c.traveler2 wrote:

06Fargo wrote:

Hi c.traveller2 -

RE - stuck with the axles on the ground - I got thinking one of these: Exhaust jack

Along with a couple or four of these: Sand ladders

might be handy for us folk who explore a bit with single vehicles...

I'm looking into the sand ladder or may build my own, the exhaust bag lift has a weight limit to them of 8000 lbs and my rig weights in at about 10,800 lbs wet and the website states "not for F250". Thanks for the links and advise.

You would only be lifting a portion of the weight at a time... but "not for F250" ...dang it! ... how does a rubber bag know it's lifting on a F250 [emoticon] [emoticon]

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/16 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

06Fargo wrote:

c.traveler2 wrote:

06Fargo wrote:

Hi c.traveller2 -

RE - stuck with the axles on the ground - I got thinking one of these: Exhaust jack

Along with a couple or four of these: Sand ladders

might be handy for us folk who explore a bit with single vehicles...

I'm looking into the sand ladder or may build my own, the exhaust bag lift has a weight limit to them of 8000 lbs and my rig weights in at about 10,800 lbs wet and the website states "not for F250". Thanks for the links and advise.

You would only be lifting a portion of the weight at a time... but "not for F250" ...dang it! ... how does a rubber bag know it's lifting on a F250 [emoticon] [emoticon]

I did email Bushranger and haven't received a reply yet as to "not for F250", does this mean that Dodge and GMC trucks are OK?[emoticon] Besides with my camper on, I'm way over their weight limit.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/16 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pics. Seems like time to use a different removable mount, so you can mount the winch on the rear as well as needed. [emoticon] I've thought about a winch, but I'm so conservative on where I go that I haven't talked myself into buying one.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Downwindtracker2

BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/16 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What people don't realize, a TC doesn't have that much extra space for recovery tools. Camper and truck are heavy. There's an old joke about Dodge Power Wagons ,"Hard to get them stuck, but when you do,you need at least a D-6 to pull you out"

Beautiful country isn't it.

Adventure before dementia

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/16 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consumer reports test of a Titan jack.

Clicky

Exhaust jacks are pretty big to store and space is tight on a truck camper rig.

What I have found with winching is often there isn't a suitable anchor point conveniently located near where you get stuck. We have a Milemarker hydraulic winch and use one of these I've used a few times with one of our Land Cruiser 60's: Pull pal. Our Cruiser only weighs 5000 - 5500 lbs loaded for bush campng we keep it as light as possible. The website shows bigger vehicles using it.

As long as your engine will run the hydraulic winch is continous duty.

The other great item to have with heavy rigs is a portable winch you plug in to receivers at whichever end of the rig you need it... but again on a TC rig where do you store it? And a big one is heavy to carry in knee deep mud...

anyway I've done enough high jacking and winching on a great travel story thread...

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/16 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

06Fargo wrote:

What I have found with winching is often there isn't a suitable anchor point conveniently located near where you get stuck. We have a Milemarker hydraulic winch and use one of these I've used a few times with one of our Land Cruiser 60's: Pull pal. Our Cruiser only weighs 5000 - 5500 lbs loaded for bush campng we keep it as light as possible. The website shows bigger vehicles using it.

I'll take a look at those anchors, the one I had with us wouldn't even dig into the very hard soil that was out there.

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/16 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great story Alex, and what a trip. Funny too, with you holding the end of the cable I thought you were the "deadman!"

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/16 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whazoo wrote:

Great story Alex, and what a trip. Funny too, with you holding the end of the cable I thought you were the "deadman!"

The under the road drain that I found was beyond the length of my cable (90ft), I was attaching my tow strap to the cable in order to reach the road drain. It's nice to hear from you!

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/16 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That explains it Alex, otherwise I was going to suggest that for a real deadman your wife bury you up to your neck. She wouldn't take that seriously would she? Lol, great to see you as well Alex, best to you both.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2015 Summer Journey, Canadian Crossing part3
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.