|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report: Searching for sand along the Lost Coast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/16 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeanie and I usually have a 'theme' in our travels. But we also understand, for us, the trip is the destination. One bucket list thread is to camp ON as many beaches in N. America as can be legally camped on. Why? Because we can. I've been driving on blow sand for decades and the XTC is my last gasp at the art of sand driving with a 10K pound rig. This has been easy in Baja California and other parts of Mexico; very difficult in Canada; and rare in the U.S.
I've camped at Pismo Beach, California, as it it the go-to place for dune buggies, sand ready jeeps and assorted sand lovers. North of Pismo, the pickin's get slim until you get to Point Sal near the Vandenberg launch facilities. We've camped on the sand there some years ago. Continuing north, the major highways, even the fabled highway 1 start to move away from the Pacific Ocean as the terrain gets very vertical with steep slopes to the rocky, mostly sand free waters edge. The minor roads in this area, called the Medocino Coast are very narrow; somewhat paved; very winding with ridiculously steep grades. They didn't move much terra firma to make these. No cut and fill here. Just paved over cow paths, IMHO. When you are in 1st gear for 45 minutes just to make it up the hill; that's steep. This is just how we like it. We met a couple coming the other way in a small class C. They were both wild eyed at the thought of actually passing another RV (even as narrow as ours) on one of those steep and narrow grades. There are occasional beaches and one private campground at Westport Beach allows you to camp on the sand. This is very rare in a state with extreme coastal commission restrictions. We called ahead and reserved THE spot right at the edge of the campground.
[image]
Yes, this is our bench and spot number pole:
[image]
I call this next pic, Parade of the Park Benches right out our window:
[image]
In reality there was no surf driving here. Good thing.
While in the vicinity, Jeanie and i visited Mendocino Botanical Gardens. I love local botanicals. We took a lot of flower pix. Here are but a few:
[image]

[image]

[image]
There were other excellent native species along the coast:
[image]

We moved on to a place called, "Glass Beach", where the glass and other refuse of old was dumped into the sea and the sand did its work over 8 decades:
[image]
The darker beach front is all small glass bits ground down and polished by the sands of time:
[image]
Going north yet again, we attempted to get to Usal Beach and Usal Road, a BLM takeover of a former State Beach. I read some sobering horror stories about the current conditions there and we decided to bypass the Usal as we had formerly camped there right on the sand. Besides, the Usal road was closed for repairs after too many off-road rigs tried unsuccessfully to traverse this awful road in winter time leaving 6 foot deep mud pits.
Eventually we got on the Matole Road and really started feeling remote. The tire busting, cheaply repaired roadway was about 16 feet wide, which made for a bun pucker situation when you met on coming speeding pickups on the many curves. Simply the worst county road I've ever been on, and we go looking for bad roads. The only tax base in Mendocino is no tax base: The Cash Crop, you know.
[image]
We camped at a county park on the Matole River as the only vehicle in the place:
[image]
We wanted to see if we could camp at the mouth of the Matole River where it flows into the Pacific. There was a small and weirdly populated campground with all sand camps. A couple jeeps and a guy in a tent that looked like the guy yelling, "five, four, three,..." running down 5th Avenue and holding a sign announcing "the end is near".
[image]
We had a mystical morning walking to the confluence. Just mystical.
[image]
[image]
This was on May 2nd, so apparently this looked like the local May Pole du jour.
[image]
We decided not to camp there so continued on the Matole Rd. This was a very good section of 14 foot wide blacktop: A car will not fit in those lanes. Well, maybe a Prius.
[image]
Some spring wildflowers along the way north:
[image]
[image]
We finally to to a county beach that allowed vehicles. It was about 10 miles long, west of Ferndale. I locked the hubs and put 'er in 4Bye but we had bigger fish to fry, or so we thought and we marched on to Clam Beach, a county park known for sand running. It's near Arcata. We got there and found that because of ill-use by some nearby college kids with jeeps, the beach is now closed to motor vehicles. Boo. We marched on to Patrick's Point State Park to lick our wounds. It was a beauty of a little know and little used park.
[image]
[image]
If you are interested, I have put up 114 Lost Coast pix in an album here with a lot more depth.
http://s194.photobucket.com/user/jefe4x4/library/The%20Lost%20Coast?sort=3&page=1
BKA always admonishes me that I post too many pics that eat the bandwidth on his internet allowance.
This was trip #1 for the spring. Trip #2 was just finished so it will be a while before the T.R. is posted.
Thanks for looking.
jefe
P.S. I had this throbbing in my transfer case lever that slowly got worse. Where did this lead?

* This post was last edited 06/10/16 09:37am by jefe 4x4 *   View edit history

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/16 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome!!

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Vinsil

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/16 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great TP!

Wondering...have you been up in the Oregon dunes? The sand is so different here I'm wondering if you can compare the two. Never been on CA sand. Great adventure.

2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/16 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vinsil,
Yes, we've been at the north and south portico to the Oregon Dunes. I was ready to camp at one of the numbered 'poles', but Jeanie got frightened that we would be swallowed up in the sand. I was ready. It was after Oct. 1st, so vehicles were legal. I had my auto deflators at the ready. All for naught.
We'll make it some time. My new 10 inch wide Stockton Wheel XTC wheels ( the so called, Power Wagon Wheels) are coming, probably next week, so I'll have bomb proof super singles on all four corners by summer. The centers are 1/2 inch plate. I asked if anyone ever called to say one broke. He said, "no one."
jefe

Vinsil

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/16 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sweeeeeet! Let me know, I'd love to camp with you (you'll pull me out...right?)

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/16 12:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neat!

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/16 01:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to see I wasn't the only one that noticed the Matole Road is narrower than normal. [emoticon]

Wonder if that was the same guy I called the "local meth-head" back in 2007.....

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/16 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great adventure and love the views. Those roads sound pretty nice compared to some of the roads I find up in the mountains of WV.

And to your P.S., I have a good guess on where that is going and just hope it wasn't when you needed it. Never thought about the shifter knob giving indications of impending doom - another thing against electronic shift.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

GpnAZ

Phoenix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/16 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a fun trip report, great adventure and great pictures, thanks for sharing!

2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

elwood58

Orange County CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/16 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I grew up on the Lost Coast, living in Arcata. I spent the first third of my life camping all over the area. It is a shame that most areas have been closed off to camping and beach running. As you found, there are not that many access points to begin with.

Totally agree on what a gem Patrick's Point Park is.

2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report: Searching for sand along the Lost Coast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.