|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Yellowstone & Grand Teton's - June 2016 Trip Report

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
usmcshepherd

Commerce City, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/16 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well after much deliberation and planning we were finally able to take a week and head to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. We started out on a Friday morning from Denver heading towards Boulder, WY where we spent the night at Highline Trail RV Park. This was only a temporary stop on our way up to Henry's Lake State Park near Island Park, ID, where we based out of to explore the western side of Yellowstone and the town of West Yellowstone. Henry's Lake was a great location and we saw several truck campers as well...the area was beautiful and spaces nicely spaced, but the mosquitos were terrible!!! So terrible we didn't spend any time out side that wasn't absolutely necessary which was a downside to this time of year that we were unaware of...we won't make this mistake again and will return to this area in the fall from now on....anyway....

[image]

[image]

While we were at Henry's Lake our major outings consisted of a beautiful canoe trip down the Snake River where we enjoyed several moose sightings to include a couple mother's with their calf's.

[image]

[image]

and a visit to the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone proper where the kids had the opportunity to see several grizzly's, wolves and raptors. Additionally, they even were able to help the handlers bury food for the grizzly's and then watch as they were released to uncover the food.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Lastly was a stop at Mesa Falls....which was absolutely incredible and doesn't get as much attention due to it location on the western side of Yellowstone in Idaho. This was incredibly beautiful....a bad picture didn't exist!

[image]

[image]

While we really enjoyed Idaho and the town of West Yellowstone we were ready to get into Yellowstone and the Grand Teton's proper as the kids were anxious to get their Junior Ranges Badges to add to their collection of badges. We saw several beautiful sites and the kids even had the privlidge of having BKA0721 administer their Junior Ranger oath...

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The recommendations of several that have personal knowledge of the area was very accurate and certainly helped us in giving us the direction someone new to the parks needed. The necessity to get into the first come first serve campgrounds early morning was absolutely true...we arrived at Signal Mountain by 0800 and had our choice of about a half dozen sites...this was the routine generally every morning. We also took some excursions down a few less traveled areas where we found beautiful areas to relax away from the crowds of people.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Overall we had a great trip and are already planning a return hopefully this fall when the mosquitoes will be gone and we can spend more time exploring some of the backcountry as well as kayaking more lakes and rivers.

2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/16 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice TR, I'm ready to go back already! [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/16 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report.

As the local newspapers used to say, a good time was had by all.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/16 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've read that the skeeters are greatly reduced by mid July. Hopefully that's true, because I will probably be in the Tetons around that time and I don't want to get bugged!

I like your pics, by the way. Nice, clear, contrasty images.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Ski Pro 3

bye

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/16 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember taking the grand kids to that Grizzly place. We arrived as the kids were already in the exhibit and I asked what was going on. I was told they were feeding the bears. Poor choice of words, my grand kids freaked out, thinking the kids were the bear food. Ha!

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/16 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a cool trip. Thanks,

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

cartmancartman

OC

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/16 02:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing, I passed through almost the exact route but the opposite way last week on my Harley.
Tetons were ok, Yellow stone was amazing but the mountains in Wyoming were amazing. How did the 1172 hold up?

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/16 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Lakeside

fredandkathy

Johnstown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/16 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonderful trip report. Thank you. BTW, I have the same FBI sweatshirt.

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/16 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing pics!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Yellowstone & Grand Teton's - June 2016 Trip Report
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.