RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Mice in July !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Mice in July !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jerseyjim

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/16 02:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This year is so different. In 15 years, I've NEVER had mice in my RV as late as July. (yesterday). If I don't snowbird, they're gone by the end of April/early May.

Normally I have 10 snap traps between outside and inside. Unfortunately, the peanut butter...in this heat doesn't last. The pepperment/cotton thing mentioned here in the forum is too expensive. I don't want the poison traps...they (mice) go off to die somewhere IN the RV and....stink up the place. (experience)

I've heard of a common available product one can put on the ground around the tires that keeps them away. Anyone know about this?

Any New suggestions out there?

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/16 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After we spray foamed all the access holes, we haven't had mice at all. It is the only thing we have found that keeps them out.

You can also set a bucket trap. they work REALLY well.

2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/16 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go camping in July is sagebrush country and there's a good possibility you'll get mice - yes, in July. [emoticon]

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/16 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You want my 9 older links on this? You're likely to just get the same old answers anyway, because how would we know if answers are new?

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/16 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I moved into a new house 6 months ago. I've never had trouble with mice in any other properties in the 'burbs. This one, though, is on a 3.5 acre wooded lot. Didn't think much of it when I bought it but there are a lot of critters up here.

I was in the garage the other night to wait to see if the rain sensor was going to shut off the sprinkler system (long story). Turns out the clock on the system was 5 minutes slow. So I sat on the steps to wait it out. As I sat there I saw movement in many different directions. I really thought I was losing my mind until I realized it was mice. Lots of them - well 4 anyway. 2 on the floor and 2 scaling the walls. I'm wondering whether I care that they're in the garage. We have cats so I don't see them in the house or basement. But I digress.

This morning I started up my truck and the low tire light was on. Left rear. I left it running and grabbed the air hose from the compressor. I knelt down by the tire and was filling it when I saw one of those suckers looking at me through the wheel - it was sitting on the brake rotor. WTH?

So long story longer - there's lots of mice. There's evidence in the RV and I'm now worried about our '64 Impala. It moves even less often than the Allegro does.

So as offensive as it might be to 2oldman (sorry, sir), I wouldn't mind a fresh how-to-prevent-mice thread.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/16 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turbojimmy wrote:

So as offensive as it might be to 2oldman (sorry, sir), I wouldn't mind a fresh how-to-prevent-mice thread.
Not a problem. I'll just stay out of the way! (unless the OP wants them)

* This post was edited 07/13/16 08:34pm by 2oldman *

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/16 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember those posts you are talking about but can't remember the name. I have seen it. Browse that area at say tractor supply and a few places and you will probably see it and know it's the one you wanted. Dang , right on the tip of my tongue too.

RoadXYZ

OR-WA-ID-CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/16 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can also be found in Ranch/Farm places, although in this area we have Ace hardware as well as a true Hardware Store privately owned ... we broke down and bought those "get in there and eat this poison" type mice traps when we saw a pile of nut hulls on the battery under the hood of our vehicle. We scrubbed down the interior, set the traps, and promptly bought moth balls to scatter around for a few days before we had to go to town. BTW we put those moth balls in netting (like satchet bags), and hung them around the interior. And yes we were volunteering at a site out in the Countryside ! Never found a dead mouse, but no more nut hulls either ... Moth Balls are supposed to keep cats out of flower beds, and apparently mice don't like them either !

We lucked out with no wire damages.

Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

youngone

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/16 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

I remember those posts you are talking about but can't remember the name. I have seen it. Browse that area at say tractor supply and a few places and you will probably see it and know it's the one you wanted. Dang , right on the tip of my tongue too.

FreshCab?, mouse-free.com, predatorpee.com
Doesn't Comet around the tires burn the mice paws?

RoadXYZ

OR-WA-ID-CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/16 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the way this was posted on "Tricks to keep rodents out" thread : Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent. I used in 2 Motor Homes and 1 TC. No mouse signs etc. Leaves a "fresh" smell in your RV. Overpowering "fresh" smell if you use the quantity they recommend. I put a pack inside a zip lock sandwich bag and it still provided a "fresh" smell. The "fresh" smell is a good smell, but I am not into many fragrances.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Mice in July !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.