|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> 2016 Tacoma

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/16 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

The steering lock doesn't stop the theives, they just break it anyways and drive off.

That's true, the steering lock doesn't stop a thief. Today they have to overcome technology. If the right chip isn't in proximity to the car, it's not going to start. I imagine smart thieves maybe can "clone" a proximity key to steal a car?

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/16 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they can't, you can bet they will very soon!
any "security device" one person can invent, another person can invent a way to bypass. It has happened all through history.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Automatic, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/16 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used a Remco disconnect on our last Tacoma. Worked flawless. I made sure I pressure washed it once in awhile and applied silicone lube. It was professionally installed at the Remco factory! I do agree that if you were a snowbird and just taking the toad from your home to winter spot removing the DS would not be so bad. We travel a lot and would never consider crawling under every other day. The fellow who ground the pin in the column had a heck of a time the bolts that are used to install that mechanism are breakaway bolts. Once installed they are near impossible to remove. I am still waiting for A response from him.

Moisheh

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/17 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I finally saw a message on a Truck forum from a new series Tacoma owner. He tried to get at the factory locking pin on the steering column but it is not easy. The bolts have no head. They break the head off at the factory after installation. He then tried the following: "I added a battery disconnect switch, so after pushing the starter button once to put the truck in accessory (unlocking the steering wheel) I just pop the hood and throw my battery disconnect switch. Steering stays unlocked until battery power is restored. A setting saver maintains most of my settings while the battery is disconnected."

Moisheh

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> 2016 Tacoma
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS