|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip to Fish Lake, Steens Mtns, OR

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/16 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been wanting to do this for some time and all the stars finally aligned but not without some hiccups. Left Boise Monday afternoon and wanted to go thru Fields OR for their world famous cheeseburgers and milkshakes (so I've heard). Gassing up in Jordan Valley OR the guy told me Fields did not have gas but Denio NV did but close at 6. OK, I know a short cut!! A 50 mile gravel road that cuts off 130 miles!!

This road comes out between Denio and Fields. Miles and miles of brutal washboard. Finally get to the blacktop and head south to Denio. Got to Denio, nope, no gas here. The nearest gas is FIELDS 24 miles away and you've got 29 minutes to get there!! Good Grief!!! Made it to Fields with minutes to spare and got my gas. Fields is just a wide spot in the road. The cafe closes the grill at 330. [emoticon] Maybe next time.

I head on to The Steens but it's getting late so I stay at a CG called Page Springs and will continue on in the AM. Woke up to Mr Murphy!!! Flat on RR truck tire. What??? This is my 4th set of Toyo MTs and have never had a flat!! Empty a can of fix a flat, top off with compressor and beat feet to Burns OR, 70 miles to Les Schwab. I carry the much smaller stock spare but did not want to use it as I would have had to change it to to the front. Got to LS and told him I had a flat. He said he's never fixed a flat on an MT!! Dunked it in the horse trough and there were the bubbles. Coming from a cracked wheel!! Told you those washboards were brutal.

Got fixed up with a used wheel and on to Fish Lake. The CG at FL is small and a lot of sites are for a single vehicle. I lucked out and got a drive thru that would hold all my junk.

[image]
[image]

The elevation here is 7500' but disappointed how warm the days/nights were.

Pretty little lake tho.
[image]
[image]

My fishing partner.
[image]

My $100 fish!!! I had really good intentions of doing a lot of fishing in Eastern OR this Spring so sprung for an out of state annual license. $100. But as we all know life sure gets in the way sometimes. So if I don't make it back this year that's the $100 fish!! And I didn't even eat him.

[image]

The fishing was slow. Should have been here last week they said. Typical for me. I did do a little sight seeing. Rode up to the Kiger Gorge, pretty massive!!

[image]

Then up to the top to the East Rim viewpoint. 9700' here. A little chilly on the quad in a T shirt. Looking to the East over the Alford desert. If it weren't for the smoke you could see clear back to Idaho!!

[image]

[image]
/

Then Mr Murphy showed up again. All within the next day the house charger, water heater and compressor fridge went haywire. Did I say those washboards were brutal? OK, I have a genny and a stand alone battery charger, heat water on the stove but warm beer is a deal breaker!! Loaded up and came home!!!
[image]
s375
[image]

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

charwan

Dawsonville, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/16 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man what a trip. I could stay there a long time. Yes, I've cough a few of them $ 100 fish. I like the way you got that boat loader. Very nice rig. Thanks for the pictures.

N4FAP

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/16 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least Gracie the dog looked like she had fun.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/16 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing.

That's a pretty lonely part of Oregon. You are lucky you were prepared.

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Vinsil

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/16 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing, I'd like to get over there some day. Minus the cracked wheel....yikes!

2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/16 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice looking pics and looks like a great trip! Thanks for the TR.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Matho

New Mexico Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/16 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice places. Hope ya get a chance to do it again without Murphy.

2015 Chevy 3500 SRW 4X4 6.0 CC SB Big Wig 2016 Northstar Laredo SC Off Road

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/16 11:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang, what a frustrating trip! Pretty country, though. And the boat loader is awesome [emoticon].

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Dewclaw

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 02:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pictures and quite a story. That's a pretty neat setup you have with the trailer, quad, and boat.

We have camped at Fish Lake several times and always enjoy it. The pictures show that the beavers have not managed to knock down all of the aspens yet. You should have been there three years ago -- we could not keep the fish off the hook. [emoticon]

2008 Northern Lite 9-6 Q Classic SE
2007 GMC 2500HD

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/16 02:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, know those washboards, crawled along some back in 2009 with the KIT, ended up having to air the tires down some to soften the constant dead blows.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip to Fish Lake, Steens Mtns, OR
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.