|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Zoning that restricts RV use on your own land

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
glennts

Corpus Christi, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have 37 acres in Colorado and the Huefano County land use regulators regard RV use on your own land as camping. They restrict this activity to 7 days out of 30 and 30 days out of the year. Has anyone had experience in dealing with this sort of thing and have you found a way around it?

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

glennts wrote:

Have 37 acres in Colorado and the Huefano County land use regulators regard RV use on your own land as camping. They restrict this activity to 7 days out of 30 and 30 days out of the year. Has anyone had experience in dealing with this sort of thing and have you found a way around it?

" I am not RVing on my own land!!! I am STORING my RV on my land!!!!" Some one in Colorado needs to get a REAL job and quit hassling property owners. At last resort I would get a lawyer to get you an "exemption waiver" Passed for your property.
IMHO[emoticon]

korbe

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It appears to me that "RV use" is different than "RV storage." We use our residentially zoned property in Oregon for RV use but don't keep it there full time. We bring it in and take it out a few times a year.

NYCgrrl

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

glennts wrote:

Didn't the local government rescind the mobile home and camping regulations a few years back in anticipation of commercial marijuana farming growth?
I'd check the current rulings were I you. Or better still consult a local atty.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/16 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

glennts wrote:

Have you received an actual citation or complaint?

Is someone living in the RV?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/16 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend owns 6 acres just outside Tucson city limits. His neighbor was having work done and asked to store his 5th wheel on my friend's 6 acres of cleared land. County says all trailers must be stored "behind" the main residence, regardless of acreage, and forced him to move the trailer. Ridiculous these government bureaucrats.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a relatively common law. Zoning often prohibits mobile homes and the equivalent except where specifically allowed. They probably go a lot further requiring dwellings to have proper septic systems, proper access (for fire suppression) and probably a host of other requirements. To me, they are actually being relatively lenient by having the camping provision at all.
I doubt it is highly enforced unless a neighbor is calling it in. But then again, Mrs. Kravetts live everywhere and depending upon the setting, camping on that piece of ground can range from being a non issue to being an extreme eyesore.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think that's an unusual ordinance. If someone sets up mobile home (RV) full time on land it's a home which is something that most places want to place restrictions on. Storage is another animal.

Kevin

2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many communities and/or housing developments have specific regulations regarding the 'use'/'storage' of RVs on private property. When we lived in NJ, our town allowed one to keep his RV on his homesite, but it had to be placed in accordance with all zoning rules regarding 'set backs'. In our community here in the Myrtle Beach area, we are allowed to keep our MH with us but it must be on a concrete slab. As for allowing someone to stay in it, NO - but we have used it a few times for 'overflow' family after explaining to our neighbors that it was temporary/only while they were visiting. No one cared, so no one reported it! Did the same when we lived up in NJ. My inlaws loved their 'apartment'!! Agree with those who say 'using' an RV is far different from 'storing' it. Hopefully local regulations also know the difference.

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Alabama Jim

Prattville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/16 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be upset also. Many people place a TT and use it as a fish camp or hunting camp. So sad, government sometimes controls too much. I understand they don't want land to become a dumping ground for trailers, but surely they could let you sign a permit or avidavit stating it is your land and your trailer and will not be utilized for illegal purposes.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Zoning that restricts RV use on your own land
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.