|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Zoning that restricts RV use on your own land

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/16 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Common, but silly.
To repeat another question, have you received a citation or complaint, or any other measure whereby the County has "busted" you?
It can't be that hard to contest the notion that you're living in it or camping in it...unless you've already admitted to it.

Knowledge of the local ordinances (in their entirety) and state statutes will help you in this matter. They're not complicated if you just take time to read and cross-reference. For example, anyone in FL can shoot guns in their backyard as long as they comply with the rules of safety (as defined by the FL Statutes). Many localities had conflicted with this until the state mandated that they repeal any such ordinances. But you'll never see a sign when you enter a new town that says "welcome to XXXX, where you can shoot in your backyard"

Know the rules, know the exceptions, know the exemptions...know these things better than your local dictators. If you're not interested in knowing these things, then this matter obviously isn't that important to you.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

glennts

Corpus Christi, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. I am going to first try the storing angle and will build a small cabin of 120 sq ft, avoiding building permit requirements, and claim that is where I stay and not the RV. Although I will be running the RV generator and solar power into the cabin, I hope they won't insist that constitutes RV camping use. There may also be a work around in that if you get a septic and building permit you can then get a temporary occupancy permit for the RV that will last the term of the building permits (one year). If you don't build you can then extend for another year for $29. The problem with this is assuming you can extend off into the future, not to mention the several thousand dollars you'll expend getting the building permits. There is a section in the regulations that defines "camping unit" as a pick up camper, travel trailer or RV designed for and used specifically for recreational purposes. Because I frequently do gate watchman work, it can be argued that the RV is a work vehicle, a necessary requirement for the job, and not used as a recreational vehicle. Don't know if that line of reasoning will fly but it's all I got right now. The property is over an hour from the regulators and there is very little development here, zoned agricultural, so if I can stay under their radar I may be able to get in a few Summers enjoyment before it gets ugly.

* This post was edited 08/24/16 11:12am by glennts *

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll give you a good laugh
2012 went back to Indiana to visit family
I was parked in front of my brother's place
He left for the July 4th week, family vacation
New Neighbor across the street called the cops and complained
The small town where I grew up has an ordinance against campers on the street
So we moved to the local state park
My brother comes home finds out what happen, talks to the powers that be
And finds out any place on property off street is legal
He trimmed the biggest limb on his biggest tree
And we spent 6 weeks parked on his front lawn in full view of his neighbor
My brother died 3 months later of his colon cancer
He didn't give a **** what the new neighbor across the street thought
He lived there almost 30 years, he was only 62.. I'm sorry he gone
But we had a great visit and was glad to see him before he passed
Ill considerate people are the reason for most zoning regulations
Know the the regs, before you buy and watch your local officials carefully after you buy,
Stay involved in you community

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

korbe

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"..... it can be argued that the RV is a work vehicle, a necessary requirement for the job, and not used as a recreational vehicle. Don't know if that line of reasoning will fly but it's all I got right now."

Yeah, good look with that one. [emoticon]

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/16 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In all but the worst winter weather, we continue to live in our RV on our full hookup site when we stay at our Adirondack cottage from time to time throughout the year. Invariably, every year a summer seasonal neighbor, usually a renter, complains to the town code enforcement officer about it, and the officer has to explain to them that it's perfectly legal in this part of the town. Sometimes they even bring him copies of their own home town ordinances to "prove" that he's wrong and we should be cited. He and I get a good chuckle out of it when we see each other at the local diner we both favor.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/16 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Instead of flying under the radar I recommend talking politely with the county and asking what they recommend for your situation. There might be no agreeable solution in which case it may be time to sell. These things should be investigated before you buy next time.

You might own the land but it does not mean you can do as you please.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

3oaks

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Know the the regs, before you buy and watch your local officials carefully after you buy,
[emoticon]

If the regulations were in affect before you purchased the land, you have no legitimate gripe.

If they were not, did you let your dismay be known before the new regulations were passed? Although sometimes there is nothing you can do to stop it. [emoticon]

I don't like zoning and I don't like being told what I can or can't do on my own acreage. So far, so good at my home base. I live in a very rural area, however, over the years, the suburbs and the elitists are slowly approaching. [emoticon]

NYCgrrl

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smkettner wrote:

Instead of flying under the radar I recommend talking politely with the county and asking what they recommend for your situation. There might be no agreeable solution in which case it may be time to sell. These things should be investigated before you buy next time.

You might own the land but it does not mean you can do as you please.

This. Zoning has it's uses in my world too as long as it makes sense.

As for the OP I can only suppose you do not live in the unincorporated area since you dinna answer my question.

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/16 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alabama Jim wrote:

So sad, government sometimes controls too much.

Its not 'the government.' Its people. People like to get angry about things, usually insignificant things. So they complain about everything they don't like and politicians get tired of the complaining. So the locals vote in a new ordinance. And then they get to go around and search for people to rat out.

I had a neighbor that did that. He really liked controlling everyone else's lives. I'm so glad I don't live there any longer and I hope the people that bought my house are giving him hell.

2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/16 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Often such rules come into existence when people use their land and do not properly dispose of sewage. And there is runoff onto other property or local streams.

Adding a proper septic system is usually the way around such a regulation, since the land becomes a home site at that point.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Zoning that restricts RV use on your own land
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.