Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Woodsmoke Campground Pet Policy

Posted By: Kaz on 09/17/16 05:00am

We have reservations for a week next February at the Woodsmoke Campground in Fort Myers, FL. We got an e-mail yesterday that reads in relevant part as follows:
Quote:

Just call us the poo patrol. Starting in the 16/17 season we will be implementing a new program in order to deal with the constant dog waste issue. We will be using the company, Poo Prints. This company provides a service that keeps track of a dog’s DNA so that when dog waste is found they can test it and determine what dog it belongs to. Unfortunately, what we’ve tried in the past hasn’t worked and the dog waste issue has worsened. In order to keep a clean environment that is beneficial to all people we have chosen to try something new.

This Fall/Winter everyone who has a dog will be required to bring the dog to the office upon check in to get their cheek swabbed with a q-tip. There will be a one time $20 per dog registration fee. Depending on the dog’s temperament the owner might need to be the one doing the swabbing. We will then send this q-tip off to Poo Prints where they will store the information. (Poo Prints charges us $40 for each registered dog.)

If waste is found around the park that hasn’t been picked up by the owner then a sample of it will be shipped off to Poo Prints. They will then let us know which dog it matches. Once a match is found then the owner of that dog will be fined $75.00. (Poo prints charges us $75 for each time we submit a sample.)

This is the only solution that pinpoints who the owner is and avoids wrongful accusations. We wish it didn’t have to come to this, but this issue has gotten out of hand. We’d like to correct the situation so that all campers can enjoy the beauty of the park and not have to watch where they step. You can check out the Poo Prints website if you’d like more information too.

Thanks,
Woodsmoke Management

A few questions/comments:
  • I've never heard of such a thing before, and it seems unbelievably weird. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this anywhere else?
  • I guess I understand what the campground is driving at, but I've never been anywhere in over 40 years of RV'ing where the dog poo problem is so bad that it would call for extreme measures.
  • If the Woodsmoke clientèle is so slovenly that the campground has to resort to DNA profiling to solve the problem, I bet dog poo is only one reason I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to stay there.
  • It seems like less intrusive options exist. Like maybe signing a form that says, "On my honor, I will pick up after my dog..." If someone is so dishonorable that he'd violate that covenant, I'd worry more about getting my stuff stolen than stepping in dog poo.
  • It also seems like if one leaves without having dog poo seized by the Doggie-DNA forces, one ought to get a refund of the DNA profiling fee.

Anyway, unless I get some comfort that this isn't as bizarre as it seems at first blush, I guess I'll cancel the reservation and stay somewhere better. Thoughts?

Skip

Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

Posted By: LynnandCarol on 09/17/16 05:40am

Wow! we have stayed there and it is a nice place. we did stay at a place in the FL-Keys tat fined yo $20 if there was any dog poop noticed on your site whether it was your dogs or not. if you pick up after your pet, what is the worry???

Posted By: georgelesley on 09/17/16 05:40am

I don;t like the idea either, BUT I like dog poop everywhere even less. In answer to your second point, maybe the reason you have never had a big problem with seeing dog poop is that the CG workers pick up much of it. We have two dogs ourselves and get very annoyed when we try to run our dogs and all they want to do is sniff other dogs poop (and who knows what disease it carries), and we have to watch every step we take.

As the notice says, they regret it has come to this, so do I, but enough people these days have no consideration for others that I don't think having them sign a "pledge" to promise to pick up their dog's poop will have any affect on the problem

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

Posted By: bucky on 09/17/16 05:46am

Pandora's Box is open. Some stray dog wanders thru and poops. Campground loses $75 for testing as no match is found. Who will be the Poop Manager? There is a whole Ron White comedy show for this one coming to theater near you.
I agree that a lot of pet owners are not responsible, but if you see one speak up.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Posted By: BobR on 09/17/16 06:23am

I own a dog and am all for this policy. It is a shame we have an added expense due to a few owners not picking up after their pooch. The same policy is being introduced in high density areas such as apartment buildings.

Posted By: PawPaw_n_Gram on 09/17/16 06:23am

Kaz wrote:

• I've never heard of such a thing before, and it seems unbelievably weird. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this anywhere else?

• Why weird? That it is necessary or that it can be done. Companies record DNA on mountain lions, bears and game animals. The US FWS selects elk to be culled during a winter hunt based on their DNA, and moves buffalo from one herd to another based on DNA. Using DNA typing for the dog is a next logical step. I suspect that within five years, there will be a nation wide company so you can have your dog DNA typed at one park, and that will be good to ID the dog at other parks.

Kaz wrote:

• I guess I understand what the campground is driving at, but I've never been anywhere in over 40 years of RV'ing where the dog poo problem is so bad that it would call for extreme measures.

• I see several parks a year. What is 'so bad' to you? To me - if I see two different dog poops on one of my morning walks - the park is too bad to return to. I make sure the management knows why we will never be back. In my opinion, 15-20% of RV dog owners try to avoid cleaning up after their pets. And it is a growing issue even over the last two or three years.

Kaz wrote:

• If the Woodsmoke clientèle is so slovenly that the campground has to resort to DNA profiling to solve the problem, I bet dog poo is only one reason I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to stay there.

• Looking at on-line photos and reviews, it look like the park has several park models, and long-time residents. Those people are usually the most likely to feel 'entitled' to the park, and entitled to ignore rules, like those for picking up after pets. Or the other end of the scale might apply. Those semi-permanent residents might be flooding the management with complaints every day about dog poop.

Kaz wrote:

• It seems like less intrusive options exist. Like maybe signing a form that says, "On my honor, I will pick up after my dog..." If someone is so dishonorable that he'd violate that covenant, I'd worry more about getting my stuff stolen than stepping in dog poo.

• Likely less intrusive options have been tried, and failed.

Kaz wrote:

• It also seems like if one leaves without having dog poo seized by the Doggie-DNA forces, one ought to get a refund of the DNA profiling fee.

• The campground is already absorbing half of the cost of DNA typing your dog. Why should they refund you the other half?

Also the testing likely isn't done in a day. Probably takes a week to get the results back. Many of the 'offenders' will have moved on.

No, the CG likely won't get the fine money from them unless they charge their card. Even then the charge could be contested.

But it will likely deter the person from ever returning.

No, we don't travel with a pet. We did travel with a cat at one time, but he passed away. We have many great friends who travel with pets. A few of those just pick up the poop if it is easily visible. They don't think leaving poop near trees, in grassy areas, flower beds, etc is a problem.

And the number of RVers we see with that attitude seems to be growing in our opinion.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
    "You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
    2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Posted By: JoeH on 09/17/16 06:38am

Some communities near us are doing the same thing. The HOA requires the dogs to be registered and DNA samples taken. If poop is found, it's tested and the owner is fined. Too bad it's come down to that, but there are some irresponsible dog owners that mess it up for the majority that pick up after their pets.

Joe
    2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
    Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Posted By: tropical_ron on 09/17/16 06:43am

We always ended up with a bag full of poop whenever we walked our dog. More often then not, it came from us cleaning up after other campers mess not cleaned by them. No explanation as to why folks do not pick up after their pets. I like Woodsmoke, and this "policy" would not deter us from staying there.

2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
    2010 Honda CRV awd
    Blue Ox Baseplate
    SMI aux. brake

Posted By: padre1944 on 09/17/16 06:48am

Evidently this is the only way stop inconsiderate people from not abiding by the rules. Most RV parks have rules, but many people ignore them as they are not enforced. This is what its coming to in our society where more and more people think they can do whatever they want without regard to others.

Posted By: DownTheAvenue on 09/17/16 07:27am

I like the idea. I read about this process a few years ago. Regardless of what rule you make, there will always be one or two who feel the rule does not apply to them. This makes the rule violator unquestionably accountable.

Posted By: LadyRVer on 09/17/16 07:38am

My first reaction is...I will not be returning. I will not pay $20.00 to register my dog upon arrival or anytime during the stay. I stayed there last Thanksgiving and enjoyed the park. Helpful staff, good walking grounds, nicely kept up. I can say that I do not remember any abundance of poo not picked up. No more than any other rv park...maybe 1 or 2?????

A lot of permanent winter residents, but also a lot of travelers.

I have heard of this before, but never stayed in any campground it was implemented at.

There are always those who think the rules don't apply to them and we who do follow the rules have to pay the consequences.

Posted By: dodge guy on 09/17/16 07:45am

Seems like a crazy idea for just having one or 2 people that don't pick up! I wouldn't stay there just because of this policy! How bad is the place that they have had so many issues that they have to do this. Seems like they don't want anything to do with running the place.

Let's say 20 people didn't pick up. Are they really going to pick up 20 droppings and send those in? And who is going to raise their hand for that job!

Wife Kim
    Son Brandon 17yrs
    Daughter Marissa 16yrs
    Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
    A bad day camping is
    better than a good day at work!

Posted By: covered wagon on 09/17/16 07:50am

I think it good also since people seem to be less caring how they affect others, so all good.

Posted By: GordonThree on 09/17/16 08:00am

How do they expect to collect this "fine"? They're not a government agency, they have no executive branch to execute enforcement or judicial branch to mandate enforcement.

Sure they can put words in the rules that you "agree" to when you camp, but are they going to spend $5000-8000 in court to collect $75 from you?

Home owners associations and apartment complex that use this same service at least have a captive audience, they can force you to pay the fine through threat of eviction at least... I think if you called their bluff they'd be in a hard spot. Eviction is not an easy or fast process, especially if you own the home/condo or are otherwise current with your rent payments.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
    2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Posted By: rhagfo on 09/17/16 08:09am

It is sad the park has needed to go to this to keep their park CLEAN. Those of you that think uncaring non-cleaners are not that common are a bit in the dark. We have hosted and camped and see way too many pet owners that figure that rule doesn't apply to them. Yes it is still a small percentage, but there is enough of them to to create an issue. I notice it most on our beautiful coast where people figure they don't need to pick up poo on the beach, then you have kids run bare foot through it!! [emoticon]
    Sorry it has come to this, maybe a data base of registered pets would cut down on cost, but would require a picture for verification or even a tattoo in the pets ear.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
    2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
    2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Posted By: westernrvparkowner on 09/17/16 08:16am

GordonThree wrote:

How do they expect to collect this "fine"? They're not a government agency, they have no executive branch to execute enforcement or judicial branch to mandate enforcement.

Sure they can put words in the rules that you "agree" to when you camp, but are they going to spend $5000-8000 in court to collect $75 from you?

Home owners associations and apartment complex that use this same service at least have a captive audience, they can force you to pay the fine through threat of eviction at least... I think if you called their bluff they'd be in a hard spot. Eviction is not an easy or fast process, especially if you own the home/condo or are otherwise current with your rent payments.
    They are going to collect it like they collect any fee. You are going to sign a form that allows them to collect it, same as staying at a hotel where you agree to pay for whatever you take out of the mini fridge. Obviously, this is a park that caters to longer stays. It would not work in an overnight or short term stay park, but I am 99 percent sure that they know their problem is in the long term stays.
    Twenty bucks is cheap. I usually pay more than that in pet fees every night I stay in a hotel with my dog. As with most things in this world, everyone has options. 1. Pay the fee and live with the policy. 2. Don't bring a dog 3. Go somewhere else.
    Pet waste is a problem. Every park that cares about their guests' experiences is always searching for a solution. I am sure they just didn't decide this policy on a lark. If they lose a few guests while solving their pet waste problem they are most likely going to consider that a big win.

Posted By: korbe on 09/17/16 08:30am

If it were me, I would invest in some video cameras instead. But by the park name, at least we can have a smokey campfire. That's a plus. [emoticon]

Posted By: Lantley on 09/17/16 08:35am

dodge guy wrote:

S

Let's say 20 people didn't pick up. Are they really going to pick up 20 droppings and send those in? And who is going to raise their hand for that job!

THat's it someone has to clean up the poop now without the policy.
    No one is raising their hand but the task must be done by CG staff.
    ....Do you think they just leave it..LOL
    I am all for the policy. It irritates me everytime I see poo on the ground.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
    BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
    Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
    BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
    Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
    Correct Trax,Splendide

Posted By: 1968mooney on 09/17/16 08:39am

I feel sure, if this does not work, they will ban pet's. Afterall it is pet owner's causing the problem.

Posted By: winnietrey on 09/17/16 08:51am

My guess is, they have run the numbers, to scoop, test, send poo, then confront the offender, collect the fee etc, is going to burn a lot of man hours, and cause a lot of stress. I doubt they plan to do much of it. I would bet they are hoping the "threat" will cut their poo problem way down. Pretty clever. Unless of course they lose a ton of business as a result. Then not so clever.

Posted By: GaryKH on 09/17/16 09:01am

While it is obvious when someone doesn't pick up after their dog, what about cats? They (usually) go in gardens, loose dirt etc. & then cover it up. When our kids were younger, we had to have a big screen over their sandbox. Maybe this isn't such an issue because it's rare having them go where people walk, but the health risks are right up there!
    To those people who don't pick up after their dogs, get over it! Nobody is going to think of you negatively, only positively!!

Posted By: hone eagle on 09/17/16 09:03am

They are bluffing
    using fear to get compliance , like "there are cameras everywhere.

pick up after your animal no worries.

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
    Newmar 34rsks 2008
    Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
    directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Posted By: Homer on 09/17/16 09:04am

Personally I think it is a great idea. If you do what you are supposed to,what is the problem? One Resort I stayed in down in Florida which is considered one of the better ones for amenities, was dog poop farm.

Posted By: NYCgrrl on 09/17/16 09:19am

I think it's a great policy that works in general for the betterment of all. I do not camp with pet animals but would be more inclined to stay at a campground that allows dogs if I knew the owners were that dedicated to keeping the place clean + comfortable for dog owners and those without; transients and long term guests.

As for how they would collect from guests, short or long term? Charge the credit/ debit card and possibly request a deposit from cash paying guests. Were I running the campground I'd also take a pic of the dog and attach it to the file so subsequent tests weren't needed.
    Should cat poo or mini pig poo be a problem I'm sure they can be added to the policy at a different time.

Having worked in hotels, restaurants, and property mgmt for most of my adult life, I can tell you there are A LOT of people w/ piggish habits wandering amongst us AND it doesn't matter if the place is high or low end, transient or long term.

Posted By: coolbreeze01 on 09/17/16 09:27am

Congrats to Woodsmoke Campground!! Outstanding [emoticon]

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
    LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
    2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Posted By: PawPaw_n_Gram on 09/17/16 09:58am

GordonThree wrote:

How do they expect to collect this "fine"? They're not a government agency, they have no executive branch to execute enforcement or judicial branch to mandate enforcement

I would assume that part of their goal is to make sure offenders don't come back to the park.

Someone goes to check-in and gets told 'last time you were here you didn't pick up after your dog. That will cost you an extra $75'

'Yes I did'

'Here is the DNA test that shows someone didn't pick up your digs poop'

'Well we won't stay here now or ever.'

'Fine. Your deposit is forfeit, and don't let the door hit you on the way out'

Posted By: FunnyCamper on 09/17/16 10:10am

People made this happen.
    People have to be stopped from what is normally a very easy action to clean up after your pet.
    Many pets make for alot of crapp! [emoticon]

No one did this but people. The pets do their thing, it is up to the people.

I agree with this policy if the place has people that are so inept that they can't pick up. Nothing wrong with this cause the people make it happen.

Posted By: hypoxia on 09/17/16 11:18am

[image]

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Posted By: tpi on 09/17/16 12:02pm

It probably is at least partially for the deterrent effect. With all the Poo Patrol hype people will probably be more careful. Whether it is worth it in the entire scheme of things, who knows. There would have to be some energy and cost expended by campground to operate this system. Probably depends on how much priority you assign to dog poo as a problem-both from campground or customer perspective. How much time is the campground taking to clean it up for example? As a non-pet owner, I've rarely been bothered by it or seen excessive amounts of it.

Posted By: JFNM on 09/17/16 12:13pm

coolbreeze01 wrote:

Congrats to Woodsmoke Campground!! Outstanding [emoticon]

I second this - OUTSTANDING!!

Next, figure out a way to nail the folks that think leash laws/rules do not apply to them and their animals.

JD - Full timer out west
    1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
    My Adventures

Posted By: bukhrn on 09/17/16 12:23pm

I choose westernrvparkowner's Option 3, We ALWAYS pick up after our little guy, and don't like the idea of getting treated like the ones that don't.
    Sounds like the govenment, we can't, or don't want to deal with the offenders, so we'll just go with the mass punishment plan. [emoticon]

2007 Forester 2941DS
    2014 Ford Focus
    Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
    You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Posted By: DutchmenSport on 09/17/16 02:27pm

A few months ago there was an article on the evening news about a community that started doing DNA on dogs and the poo problem. I thought it was weird then. But not now. Sounds perfectly acceptable to me. People are just plain selfish SOB's, thinking they are the "exception" to everything. I only wish the fine was higher!

Posted By: LOFAT36 on 09/17/16 02:35pm

Are you sure this isn't April 1st ?

Posted By: lgarcia on 09/17/16 02:48pm

I live out in the country on two acres. On my property there is dog poop, cat poop, rabbit poop, deer poop, bird poop, possum poop, snake poop..

Well, don't actually know how much snakes poop, but poop is part of being outdoors to me. It is why I have yard shoes and camping shoes and shoe mats at the door.

-Laura
    2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
    2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

Posted By: RV daytrader on 09/17/16 03:09pm

As a non-dog owner,I would be MORE likely to stay at such a campground! No poop smell and if it keeps dog owners from camping there, then less barking also! a win-win!

YODA...our lil Toyota!
    1989 Toyota Seabreeze

Posted By: GordonThree on 09/17/16 03:15pm

A lot of folks on this forum must have an awful boring time camping that so many have nothing better to do than worry about a dog's poop.

Can we start a similar DNA system for smokers and chewers that feel it's alright to spit wherever they please, and throw their butts all over the place? Dog poo might be gross, but butts and chew contain cancer causing toxins and possibly communicable diseases.

Posted By: 2 Retired on 09/17/16 03:25pm

I have been RVing for over 40 years and have seen the issue of picking up after one's dog grow as time has gone by. No one ever used to do it, and it was a great thing when the problem was first addressed. Too many campers ignore far too many rules regarding their pets. "My dog has never needed a leash" as he runs through my campsite. "I always pick up after my dog" as I watch the owner walking his dog, watch him squat, and then simply move on. "My dog has never hurt anyone" as he runs into my 3 year old grandson who's playing on my site and knocks him down. I have no doubt that this campground has a problem with owners not cleaning up after their dogs. There's no way they would invest so much money and effort into their program, knowing dammed well some will be royally ticked off by it. I give them cudos for having the nerve to hold the owner responsible. Without the cheek swab, identifying the owner would be difficult. With it, there is no argument. Simply saying 'tell everyone to poop scoop' doesn't make it happen. People for the most part only follow rules, especially ones they don' like, if there are significant consequences for breaking them. This sounds like exactly that. If a pet owner is put out by the rule - that's his prerogative. There are other campgrounds to stay at. I WILL check out this particular CG when I'm in the area. We have had dogs (none right now) and they have camped with us. We have always followed the rules. Time for everyone to do the same. Don't like it? Stay somewhere else.

Two young retirees restless to GO!
    Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
    Go and enjoy!!

Posted By: dodge guy on 09/17/16 04:23pm

I have found that goose poop is worse than dog poop! In 13 years I have only had to pick up twice from other people.

And I find it funny how they want us to take something that is 100% natural and biodegradable and put it in a plastic bag that will take at least 100 years to break down! kind of odd to do something like that. No I`m not saying to leave it, but there has to be a better option.

Posted By: hypoxia on 09/17/16 06:14pm

dodge guy wrote:

I have found that goose poop is worse than dog poop!

One thing I haven't seen are folks travelling with their pet goose. [emoticon]

Posted By: PawPaw_n_Gram on 09/17/16 09:03pm

dodge guy wrote:

And I find it funny how they want us to take something that is 100% natural and biodegradable

It can also carries diseases dangerous to humans and other animals.

dodge guy wrote:

and put it in a plastic bag that will take at least 100 years to break down! kind of odd to do something like that. No I`m not saying to leave it, but there has to be a better option.

Most pet stores sell paper or biodegradable plastic poop bags.

I've yet to see someone using the paper ones, but I've seen the bio plastic ones.

However, most of us have a near endless supply of plastic bags from grocery stores and Walmart - and that is what I see most people use.

It's up to the pet owner as to how 'environment friendly' they want to be, and how much extra they want to spend for those bags.

Posted By: nomad.297 on 09/18/16 07:56am

What are they going to do about the tent campers who are so far away from the bathrooms, they just poop where they please? They might start swabbing every visitor to their campground and charging a fee after they discover their first non-dog poop pile.

Bruce

Posted By: BizmarksMom on 09/18/16 10:02am

As a dog owner myself, I am all for this idea!

It would be nice if they took it a step further and issued a $100 fine every time they saw a dog running around off leash. I don't care if it's a 5# chihuahua or an 80# German Shepherd -- they shouldn't be running all over the campground.

2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Posted By: tpi on 09/18/16 10:48am

I commented upthread, but do have one further thought: The name Woodsmoke does seem a bit ironic in this context. I've not been bothered much at all by dog poop, and I usually have not been bothered by campfires. I've usually enjoyed them. But a few times, I've had tons of smoke from a bad campfire blow directly in my site. Certainly woodsmoke has been more annoying to me overall than dog poop!

Posted By: TyroneandGladys on 09/18/16 12:55pm

IMHO besides fining a guest who is caught not picking up fine any guest walking a dog if they do not have at least one unused bag.

Tyrone & Gladys
    27' 1986 Coachmen

Posted By: tdiller on 09/19/16 07:21am

I've rad through this entire thread and here are some of my thoughts.

1. This Poo Patrol thing is new so I'm sure the rv park mentioned is not loosing money by charging only part of the registration fee. Poo Patrol is trying to get itself on the map.
    2. Problem I see is what if say my dog has a bit of a runny problem and I can't get all of the waste up and some is left? how much effort does one have to make to get everything?
    3. I work in the credit reporting field and I am a big advocate for privacy. In fact my credit report or fica score always comes back with not enough data to calculate. If this becomes a national trend then can your homeowners insurance tap into this and calculate or adjust your rates based on the type of dog you have? Charging more for what many consider to be dangerous breeds? Will campgrounds tap into this same thing and charge more based on the breed of dog?
    4. I almost think it would be less expensive for the park to hire a doggie doodoo detail for those who aren't doing their part in picking up after the dog. but the problem with that would be then no one would pick up after their pets.

Posted By: 1968mooney on 09/19/16 07:53am

tdiller wrote:

I've rad through this entire thread and here are some of my thoughts.

1. This Poo Patrol thing is new so I'm sure the rv park mentioned is not loosing money by charging only part of the registration fee. Poo Patrol is trying to get itself on the map.
    2. Problem I see is what if say my dog has a bit of a runny problem and I can't get all of the waste up and some is left? how much effort does one have to make to get everything?
    3. I work in the credit reporting field and I am a big advocate for privacy. In fact my credit report or fica score always comes back with not enough data to calculate. If this becomes a national trend then can your homeowners insurance tap into this and calculate or adjust your rates based on the type of dog you have? Charging more for what many consider to be dangerous breeds? Will campgrounds tap into this same thing and charge more based on the breed of dog?
    4. I almost think it would be less expensive for the park to hire a doggie doodoo detail for those who aren't doing their part in picking up after the dog. but the problem with that would be then no one would pick up after their pets.

Call you Ins. Co. and ask if they would consider letting you pay more for housing a "dangerous breed" of dog. I think you will find they will cancel the policy because they cannot charge enough to justify the risk.

I agree with (4). Increase the fee at the park enough to justify hiring a poo patrol. Only increase it on the pet owners that stay there. Let the non-owners have a break. Think you will have very few pet owners staying and will make more room for the non-owners.

Posted By: Bears Den on 09/19/16 08:09am

Well, just like having kids, the grownups need to be held responsible for their pets actions. I once stepped in a pile at Fort wilderness in a non pet loop and proceeded to drag it into my TT before I knew I had stepped in it. If I could have gotten my hands on the owner I probably would not be writing this now. I love dogs, it's non responsible dog owners that I don't like.

2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
    2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
    Equalizer hitch
    Ford integrated brake controller
    2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
    1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Posted By: dodge guy on 09/19/16 10:04am

It's such a goofy idea that I would almost consider bringing extra from someone else's dog with me and leaving it in the campground. Then they will try and figure out who's it is. And when it comes back as belonging to no one it would be even funnier. Just another way to make money, like the overpriced firewood some places sell!

Also what happens if a coyote or raccoons poop in a site. Who is going to clean that up! And who is that going to come back too!

Posted By: camperforlife on 09/19/16 10:47am

I have two dogs and read every post so here goes my reply.

If I was only going to stay one night and never come back, no way would I pay $20 per pooch. If I was staying a week or someplace I frequented and it was a one time fee, I'd gladly pay. I'm use to seeing campgrounds charge $6-$7 a day per dog so on an extended stay this is no different.

I live on two acres and I pick up after my dogs at home. I don't care to walk in the stuff no matter where I am.

Posted By: doxiemom11 on 09/19/16 12:10pm

Their website lists lower prices than this campground is indicating, so they are also marking the costs up to make a profit. I wouldn't even stay here. We don't stay anywhere that charges for our pet. BUT WE DO PICK UP EACH AND EVERY TIME!

Posted By: Slownsy on 09/19/16 08:38pm

It is a free world peaple, the owner makes the rules, we have 3 dogs and they have a 2 dog rule so we went elsewhere, and we do pick up and hate it when others don't this afternoon a tortes left a rather large calling card under ouer awning.
    Frank.

Frank
    2012 F250 XLT
    4x4 Super Cab
    8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Posted By: RV Sam on 09/20/16 01:56pm

RV daytrader wrote:

As a non-dog owner,I would be MORE likely to stay at such a campground! No poop smell and if it keeps dog owners from camping there, then less barking also! a win-win!

I'll second that.

Posted By: Billinwoodland on 09/20/16 02:27pm

We travel with two dogs, and always tote the doggy bag when we take them for a walk, so we never leave waste behind. If I was going to be at that park for a month, I might consider the fee. However, I would most likely go elsewhere, feeling as though I am paying for the bad apples. Why not place security cameras in the most troublesome locations? They're cheap. You get a violator, go back to the video and you have your man, or dog. BTW, I'm going to guess the turnaround time for the DNA sample is at least a week, maybe 2, not including the fecal shipping. Video seems much more practical and time efficient.

2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Print  |  Close