|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper covers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wyo350

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/16 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking for input here on what you folks have used. Problems,concerns,ideas,brands.
Here we get a lot of snow that will sit most of the winter,I trust my roof but why take chances. Have used the plastic tarps and am not a fan.Thought I would spend some money and hopefully get something that will do a better job.

Area13

Fox Island, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/16 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wyo350 wrote:

Looking for input here on what you folks have used. Problems,concerns,ideas,brands.
Here we get a lot of snow that will sit most of the winter,I trust my roof but why take chances. Have used the plastic tarps and am not a fan.Thought I would spend some money and hopefully get something that will do a better job.

If I let my camper sit for the winter I would use a good breathable cover with a small tarp over the roof only, secure it very good. Spring time I would take it off till fall. Covers are a PITA to put on and off, IMO.

2017 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24RKS Off-Road X4 PKG, 2002 Ford Super Duty 7.3,4X4,SC,LB,SRW,AT,DpTuner,Firestone bags/compr,Rancho 9ks,Stableload Uppers,Power Stop Brakes,Roadmaster Rear Sway,295X75X16X8.5 T/A KO2's

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/16 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most covers aren't waterproof. Calmark Covers are probably the best.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/16 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Specific camper covers are expensive and, in my opinion, are not well made enough to justify the cost. May I suggest a thick tarp. I did this with great success for many years prior to my metal canopy. A few tricks I have learned are to use a pair of 2x2's with dowels on the ends to pull the tarp up and over the RV. Makes lifting over vents, AC much earier and keeps us off the ladder. Also hand milk jugs partly filled with water off the bottom of the tarp to minimize wind flap. Hand and use bungee cords where possible and fold the corners Worked well for us

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/16 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a cover for my TC the only problem is if you live in a windy place. I am planning on putting the cover on December 1 and taking it off march 1. Hopefully this will miss some of the windy days.

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/16 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Calmark cover is not waterproof (somewhat repellent Subrella fabric), but much more durable than the ADCO and similar. Costs significantly more too, but becomes cost effective after your 3rd or 4th ADCO falls to pieces. It's pretty heavy to put on and take off though, makes a carport structure look attractive after a few cycles.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/16 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For previous posts on this subject search this Forum for `rv cover' and read on. To minimize the responses search only in Truck Campers.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

TxTiger

North Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/16 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got this one from Amazon a few months ago. I'm impressed with the quality, and so far it seems to be waterproof. I had an Addco for my toyhauler and the material on this one is far better. Very reasonably priced IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-OverDrive-PolyPRO-Deluxe/dp/B0019ZLPLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476722529&sr=8-1&keywords=truck+camper+cover

2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
2013 Northstar TC800

Ranger Tim

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/16 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just ordered this same cover (Classic Access.) from Amazon. I will report after the first fitting and at the end of the season. We are already getting snow here in SE Idaho Highlands. Looks like an early winter -- hope it's not a brutal one.

Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/16 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Covers are expensive. The roof of them doesn't have a slick surface, so the snow won't be easy to remove like with a big tarp. Tarps haev a slick surface, so you can easily get the snow off the roof when it gets deep.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 with an AF811 (bought new 8/30/09)
2006 Silverado 2500HD, D/A, CCSB 4x4 with an empty truck bed (owned 2 years, Feb 2014-Feb 2016)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper covers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS