|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anza Borrego TC Rescue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/16 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't say much about your ordeal but I can say you are in one of the most beautiful and awesome parks in the country. Photos never do it justice. You have to see it to appreciate it. I hope you enjoy your stay.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

anutami

Ramona

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/16 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

Quote:

I went down to 40 psi, but the sand was just too deep and my rig too hvy

Did you ever figure out why the 4wd didn't engage? Not really, but almost ready to go down and once again go into major debt on a new truck.

Last and most important, how pleased are you with the BFG AT K/Os? Are they wearing well with the heavy camper weight?

I love the K/o 2's. Definitely have to rotate every 3-5k miles though.

2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/16 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Artum Snowbird wrote:

Wondering whether you are still relying on the Ford vacuum system of 4 wheel drive. After paying and paying to fix it, I put on some Warn hubs and now it works when I put them in every time.

Plus you get your money back invested out of MPG savings. You will no longer be spinning the driveshaft and differential going down the highway.

eDUBz

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/16 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bummer about your ordeal, it looks awesome out there. It's in our near future to visit Borrego springs.

LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

996Pilot

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/16 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been thinking about keeping a set of these Truck Claws in my truck. I'm always putting around the Borrego desert with the camper on and also always run up sand washes with my fingers crossed.

Back in the day (late 70's - early 80's) when I used to take the Bronco out on extreme Borrego excursions we'd always take along a rolled up remnant of carpet in the back of the Bronco - about 18" wide by about 4-6 feet long. Laying the carpet in front of one of the drive wheels (or 2 pieces in front of both with Posi) would allow the tire(s) to float up onto the carpet rather than dig deeper into the sand (mud, ice, etc.). It's only a little more help but sometimes that's all that's needed.

I've always said, 4WD in a vehicle is a license to get into a predicament, the winch is what gets you out.

--- BTW -- when I was down in Mexico I had seen the "local" version of the Truck Claw made by nailing/screwing a nylon cinch strap to a 2x4 piece of wood. YMMV [emoticon]

* This post was edited 11/16/16 10:26am by 996Pilot *

2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

Ventura Dogman

Ventura, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/16 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone ever tried the Truckclaws or knows anyone who has? I like the concept but I have not seen any user reviews other than the videos on the manufacturer's website.

Northstar Laredo SC
Chevy Silverado 3500 diesel 4x4
Yellow Labrador co-pilot

anutami

Ramona

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/16 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ventura Dogman wrote:

Has anyone ever tried the Truckclaws or knows anyone who has? I like the concept but I have not seen any user reviews other than the videos on the manufacturer's website.

That claw looks pretty nice, but I wonder how well it will work with a 3000lb camper in the bed of the truck. I was also looking for reviews but can't find any. when I got stuck I called the tow company and they wanted $150 an hour with a 2 hour minimum to rescue me. So it looks like the claw will pay for itself pretty easily if you have to call a tow. Nice insurance to have. Thanks for the link on this.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/16 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trick I used to use was to carry a couple of dozen empty burlap sacks , shovel and high lift jacks. Get the wheel up fill the burlap sacks with sand put one under the tires and build a road bed out of the rest of them. you may only move a few feet at a time as you keep moving the bags in front of the tires but it beats burrying yourself to the frame. Note: do this a soon as you start to bog down , way before you get hopelessly stuck

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Strabo

Hooligan #96 -KampRat -Offroader

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/16 01:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Even with the auto lockers you can just twist the dial on the hub from auto to lock for 4wd. I do that whenever the surface looks iffy. Then all the dash switch is doing is engaging the front driveshaft to the transmission.

X2

04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/16 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nolan, sorry to hear about this. For deep sand, 20 psi works best. Would've tried that. As for gear, getting a good winch and traction boards are recommended.

MM

2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anza Borrego TC Rescue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.