|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anza Borrego TC Rescue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/16 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

anutami wrote:

Ventura Dogman wrote:

Has anyone ever tried the Truckclaws or knows anyone who has? I like the concept but I have not seen any user reviews other than the videos on the manufacturer's website.

That claw looks pretty nice, but I wonder how well it will work with a 3000lb camper in the bed of the truck. I was also looking for reviews but can't find any. when I got stuck I called the tow company and they wanted $150 an hour with a 2 hour minimum to rescue me. So it looks like the claw will pay for itself pretty easily if you have to call a tow. Nice insurance to have. Thanks for the link on this.
I tried to email them, but could not get their email address to work. I'm wondering if they would work on a DRW. Looks like they would.

I am curious, did you try dumping water under the tires to aid in traction? A good opportunity to dump gray water. Worse case use some of your fresh water.

Wayne

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/16 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiger4x4RV wrote:

... DRW in low 4 is best for sand. ...
Would you give more info on this? Do you think DRW would have helped anutami?

I ask because I have a 4x4 DRW.

Wayne

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/16 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reddog1 wrote:

Tiger4x4RV wrote:

Wayne

Depends on the sand, but duallies generally have higher flotation in the rear because of the wider contact patch. This is why empty they can get stuck on grass with a light dew when empty.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/16 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, you know what they say -- "if you ain't gettin' stuck now and then, you ain't four wheelin'."

Actually, they don't say that -- I just made it up -- but it sounds like something they ought to say.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/16 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Reddog1 wrote:

Tiger4x4RV wrote:

Wayne

Depends on the sand, but duallies generally have higher flotation in the rear because of the wider contact patch. This is why empty they can get stuck on grass with a light dew when empty.
That is my thought, but it is my understanding that some beaches on the East coast do not allow DRW vehicles.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/16 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Digging just one side? Consider Eaton TrueTrac differentials front and rear.
And otherwise shift from 1WD to 2WD a little sooner [emoticon]

And great pics BTW [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/16 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you got out of there in the end.

That "truck claw" mentioned above looks like a useful and inexpensive piece of kit for just these situations.

I run a winch on my Jeep TJ and it gets used a lot, but having a decent amount of experience with a winch I can say I wouldn't bother with one on my truck camper. To get one sufficiently rated and good enough quality that you can rely on it that one time you need it means spending quite a bit of money and adding a load of weight. I've also seen plenty of people turn up with a winch they fitted 2 years ago and haven't used or looked after only to find it now doesn't work when they have got stuck somewhere they might not have had the confidence to attempt without that winch.

So unless you are seriously likely to regularly use a winch, I would go with a cheaper / lighter / simpler set of recovery options such as that truck claw, long handled shovel, decent tyre compressor (I went down to 12PSI when I got stuck in the Sahara, but don't have DRW).

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/16 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I run a winch on my Jeep TJ and it gets used a lot, but having a decent amount of experience with a winch I can say I wouldn't bother with one on my truck camper. To get one sufficiently rated and good enough quality that you can rely on it that one time you need it means spending quite a bit of money and adding a load of weight.

I disagree that it takes a tremendous amount of winch on a truck camper. I have an under rated 9,000# winch on my rig. The mount and winch only weighs about 80lbs. No it won't get me out if I'm buried to the frame in mud, but it sure will get me out of most oops I'll find myself in with a camper on the back. It definitely would have gotten him out of the sand if he had something to attach to or could bury his spare as an anchor - of course so would have 4wd.

I use to run the same winch on a 4,000# jeep on the trails so know what it takes on the extreme stuff, but generally we aren't talking that type of "stuck" when in a truck camper. The 1-1/2 times the weight rule doesn't apply.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/16 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obviously First is to find out why front wasn't engaging and fix the 4x. Auto hubs can take a bit more wheel travel to engage as already mentioned. However they are prone to simply not working as they age, lack of service, being vacuum activated many sources to also cause fail. Even manual hubs can fail to lock, especially under load or worse not fully lock.

Having never had auto hubs I don't know if applies, I assume you have auto/lock hubs though that can also be manually engaged. Being already in a pickle you can manually cause hubs to fully lock while stationary. (or when you positively need/want to know)

With transfer case in 2x or neutral (or whatever on a non manual transfer case) where front drive-line can spin freely, turn hubs to lock- turn /jiggle drive-line from drivers side, you can hear/feel the hubs lock, assuming they are free and not gummed up. Though I prefer do one wheel at a time, lock one wheel hub, reach behind wheel, turn/jiggle axle u-joint yoke until hub locks, then do the other side. Hopefully won't need to do, but an exercise to play with in driveway.
Sometimes 'light' brake pedal or ebrake pressure can help, where rear end is open or limited slip, slows down wheel that has least resistance which will recieve all the torque.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anza Borrego TC Rescue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.