|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> NE Ohio to Glacier NP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/16 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stayed at the Jellystone in Sioux Falls as our first stop, then the black hills (Custer SD) for a few days for our second stop. We stayed around Butte MT leaving the black hills for glacier. I stayed in my cousins driveway in the foothills of Kalispell for 4 days, they have 10acres and plenty of moose, bear and other animals roaming around he area.

On the way back we stayed in Billings MT, then again in the black hills (Hill City) for 3 days. Then stayed at a KOA in Rochester MN. And then home. Obviously you will have to ad an extra day for the drive to and from, but it should be a good trip.

Best thing to do with Chicago is take 80 west to 355 north to 90 west. This will take you around all the craziness of the city. 355 never use to connect to 80 until about 7 years ago. Makes it a much more pleasant trip!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

stew47

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/16 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks gryphonguy. We will be leaving from Dover.

Rangerman40

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/16 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ohio to Custer can be done in 2 days if you plan it right. I made it from Dayton to Custer leaving at midnight on a Friday and arriving at Custer Sunday afternoon.... There are a few things to see between here and there if you have the time. The Bridges of Madison County, the village of Amana (yes the refrigerator people), The Corn Palace, Miniteman Missile Silo, the Badlands, Buffalo Gap National Grassland, and Wall Drug. It took us the better part of 5 days to explore the Black Hills area.

melandme

Kentucky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/16 12:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to glacier this past summer. We stayed at Many Glaciers CG in the park for the hiking. Took I94 out and I90 back. Theodore Roosevelt N P and the Enchanted Highway were good stops in North Dakota on 94. Overnighted at the Cabela's in Billings MT and Mitchell SD. Spearfish City CG in Spearfish SD was a nice campground on the north side of the Black Hills and close to Devils Tower. We also went south on US 287 to Virginia City, Ennis, and West Yellowstone. Stayed about 15 minutes from West Yellowstone at Henrys Lake State Park just over in Idaho. Nice campground and less expensive than the ones near Yellowstone.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/16 03:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping in the park will depend on the size of your rig or towed combination. Only Apgar, on the west side can handle up to 40 feet. Fish Creek, on the west side can handle 35 feet.

On the east side, St. Mary and Many Glacier can handle 35 feet.

Tom

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/16 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pulsar wrote:

Camping in the park will depend on the size of your rig or towed combination. Only Apgar, on the west side can handle up to 40 feet. Fish Creek, on the west side can handle 35 feet.

Tom

We stayed in St Mary on the east side with our 40 foot motorhome and minivan in tow.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/16 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

pulsar wrote:

Tom

We stayed in St Mary on the east side with our 40 foot motorhome and minivan in tow.

I should have prefaced my comment with: "Quoting from Enjoy Your Parks website

A look at the Recreation.gov site does show one non-reservable pull-thru site that accommodates 40 foot rigs, site C142. It show no other site that accommodates more that 35 feet.

Perhaps they are being conservative with their listings. How many sites did you see that would accommodate 40-foot rigs and a toad?

Tom

stew47

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to rehash my old thread. That year the kids wanted a beach vacation and wife couldn’t get the whole time off so we went to Florida. Ended up with a new 2017 f250 on that one. Long story. Anyways this year we are looking back into glacier. June 8 to June 30. New twist on last trip planning. Like to do more boondocking on the way out and back. We will use a campsite in glacier though. Anyways any more suggestions?

HHfundays

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/19 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rv2go wrote:

Each to their own, but I enjoy the East side better. We always stay inside the Park at the St. Mary's CG. If you need hookups, there are CG's in the town of St. Marys.
Do all the entrances to the Park on the East side.
The Going to the Sun road should be open by the time of your visit.
Bring your passports and do a day trip to the Canadian side of the Park.
Take a boat ride.

My vote too. Sites are booking fast so get yours right away. I was just looking yesterday and there wasn't much left.
Be sure to do Logan's Pass too.

We also sayed on the West Side in the KOA which was a nice one, but the east side is my favorite.

Walmarts and truck stops are great for pushing out and back. If coming back thru ND stop at Theodore Roosevelt National Park and enjoy the Medora pitchfork steak cookout and show. This breaks up the drive.

Enjoy your adventure!

Happy Trails...

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 03:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

past opening datesYou might want to rethink your dates for glacier
stew47 wrote:

Sorry to rehash my old thread. That year the kids wanted a beach vacation and wife couldn’t get the whole time off so we went to Florida. Ended up with a new 2017 f250 on that one. Long story. Anyways this year we are looking back into glacier. June 8 to June 30. New twist on last trip planning. Like to do more boondocking on the way out and back. We will use a campsite in glacier though. Anyways any more suggestions?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> NE Ohio to Glacier NP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS