|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Ford E450 vs E350 under a Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a link to the 2019 E350 & E450 cutaway specifications, as used for the starting chassis on Class C builds.

The format of the spec makes it a bit time consuming to easily make E350/E450 direct comparisons, but it's all there if you take the time. I open up two tabs on my laptop's browser and log into the spec twice and set up the two views so as to show an E350 section and an E450 section beside each other on the screen at the same time (...or you can print out the spec to study it):

https://madocumentupload.marketingassoci........6e13786f9ef842ef3da2d870bbec943&v5=False

Even today if considering a new small Class C where weight and/or towing wasn't necessarily a high priority, I'd still feel better specifying that it be built on an E450 chassis instead of an E350 chassis. There are enough differences such that the E450 might make for improved suspension and drive component wear and tear durability between service points - especially if you are the type of owner that likes to keep vehicles for a long time.

For instance, our small 2005 E450-based Class C:

- Hasn't ever sagged in the rear.
- Hasn't ever sagged in the front.
- Always provides outstanding confidence when braking due to it's higher rear lining area.
- Handles the same, regardless of whether any/all tanks are full or empty.
- Sits higher off the ground all around, providing good clearance on rough road surfaces.
- Never scrapes when entering/leaving parking lots.
- Never developes any running gear vibrations due to it's larger drive shaft diameter and material thickness.
- Hopefully never develops a bent or twisted frame from rough roads due to it's higher frame section modulus.

Of course, when comparing a heavily loaded E350 based Class C to a heavily loaded E450 based Class C - many or all E450 advantages may disappear because chassis overkill may not exist in both situations.

* This post was edited 12/22/19 12:25pm by pnichols *

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phil, That's real good data. I quickly scanned through it and see I had some E350 versus E450 comparison facts incorrect. Thanks for posting it.

I agree with you. I would just go with the E450 regardless how small your motor home is. If the ride is too rough, let a truck suspension shop figure out how many rear leaf springs can be removed. Going down from having too much CCC is smarter and cheaper than trying to increase CCC. The base E450 chassis is more capable in other areas too so why not start there? The purchase price difference between an E350 and E450 is negligible.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Ford E450 vs E350 under a Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.