RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Best wheel bearing grease

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Best wheel bearing grease

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 12/14/21 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timken premium grease...a wise choice guys!!

While there are likely many good choices, an all purpose grease, is not something I'd use for severe application, just because it was in the gun.

I have 3 different lever guns, and a pistol gun, each with a quality grease, made for the intended use. Even my snowmobile suspensions, are greased with a purpose designed product for extreme low temp, and is waterproof/corrosion proof.

I hear people sometimes mention "a waste of grease"...really? In the grand scheme of things, cost of RVs, toys, etc, does cost/amount of grease matter?

Jerry





frizfreleng

Aleutians West

New Member

Joined: 12/01/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/14/21 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

My dad's usual response was "whatever's in the grease gun". :-)Lyle


After 60 years of putzing around with vehicles I will have to agree. By the way, Timken makes bearings and **** good bearings. They are not in the petroleum/lubricant business. Putting their name i=on a petroleum product sounds like marketing. I suspect their grease is no different from most any other.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/15/21 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frizfreleng wrote:

laknox wrote:

My dad's usual response was "whatever's in the grease gun". :-)Lyle


After 60 years of putzing around with vehicles I will have to agree. By the way, Timken makes bearings and **** good bearings. They are not in the petroleum/lubricant business. Putting their name i=on a petroleum product sounds like marketing. I suspect their grease is no different from most any other.


I would agree, not quite 60, but 50 plus years I have been dealing with bearings, the important thing is that the bearing is pre loaded , and packed correctly . Then tightened with the correct pressure . I couldn't tell you how many different brands of grease I have used in that 50 years on bearings ,and have yet to have a bearing failure.

I do get a kick out of some of the replies here, but the last few years , the two brands as said I have used is synthetic . Mobile 1 ,and the Red N Tacky. Haven't seen any oozing . [emoticon]

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/15/21 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Timken premium grease...a wise choice guys!!

While there are likely many good choices, an all purpose grease, is not something I'd use for severe application, just because it was in the gun.

I have 3 different lever guns, and a pistol gun, each with a quality grease, made for the intended use. Even my snowmobile suspensions, are greased with a purpose designed product for extreme low temp, and is waterproof/corrosion proof.

I hear people sometimes mention "a waste of grease"...really? In the grand scheme of things, cost of RVs, toys, etc, does cost/amount of grease matter?

Jerry



Jerry ,do you think we buy into marketing a bit on oils ,and grease , just saying.[emoticon]

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 12/15/21 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummin2014:

Well yes, of course marketing plays a roll. I know that Ford does not manufacture Motorcraft oil, or filters, and Yamaha, and Polaris do not make their own oil, or grease. I do think these items are made to meet the standards of the company they are supplying.

I would have to think, that Timken is going to protect their reputation, when putting their name on a wheel bearing grease.

I don't think that a manufacturer can deny a warranty claim, if their name brand fluids are not used. If a proven inferior product was used, maybe??

I consider garyp4951 a standup knowledgeable guy, and he says the Timkin grease will not leak or drip (possibly separate), suggests good quality. FTG, is also knowledgeable, and uses this product, knowing Timkin would not put their name on an inferior product.

While two products, side by side, could be same (??), I'd be willing to pay a little more for one that is branded Timkin, Motorcraft, Yamaha, Honda, etc.

I know "a fool and their money, are soon parted" but I think I'll still be alright, at the end of the day.

Jerry

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/15/21 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am by NO MEANS a grease guru, but I did slept a Holiday Inn Express last night [emoticon]

seriously, The only reason I use Timken is because the local truck repair guru's I know said they use it, and its good quality... AND . . I ASSUME someone with a reputation of Timken will not put their name on just any grease.. they have standards...

Been using it for many years trouble free.... like stated above, I think it is more important to have the bearings greased properly, then it is to have better grease...


Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet


cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/15/21 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

cummin2014:

Well yes, of course marketing plays a roll. I know that Ford does not manufacture Motorcraft oil, or filters, and Yamaha, and Polaris do not make their own oil, or grease. I do think these items are made to meet the standards of the company they are supplying.

I would have to think, that Timken is going to protect their reputation, when putting their name on a wheel bearing grease.

I don't think that a manufacturer can deny a warranty claim, if their name brand fluids are not used. If a proven inferior product was used, maybe??

I consider garyp4951 a standup knowledgeable guy, and he says the Timkin grease will not leak or drip (possibly separate), suggests good quality. FTG, is also knowledgeable, and uses this product, knowing Timkin would not put their name on an inferior product.

While two products, side by side, could be same (??), I'd be willing to pay a little more for one that is branded Timkin, Motorcraft, Yamaha, Honda, etc.

I know "a fool and their money, are soon parted" but I think I'll still be alright, at the end of the day.

Jerry


I have a feeling you will be just fine . [emoticon]

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 12/16/21 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likes to tow wrote:

How is Lucas Red N Tacky for wheel bearings?? The specs say the drop point is 540 degrees and this is above Dexters recommended range. Anyone know of a better type??

Lucas red and tacky works great for my use.
With five trailers (5.2k/6k/7k/8k axles) running on 28 hubs/tires/wheels anywhere from 60k-80k miles a year per trailer the the red and tacky never gave us any grief. However these trailers never sat like most rv trailers for any length of time.
I still use Lucas products and red and tacky goes in every thing on the place that has bearings.
Lots of good bearing grease brands out here.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

Moderator

Joined: 01/26/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/17/21 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

FarrissE wrote:

The best RV wheel-bearing grease that I found is Plews & Edelmann LMX. It is really convenient and easy to use. It is soft enough to be applied to bearings. It does not drip easily, so it will linger where it has been applied. In addition, this grease has anti-corrosion properties that help prevent the gradual deterioration of my bearings. This is very convenient because I won't have to think about getting a replacement soon. This grease is insoluble in water, so there are times when my RV wheels are wet due to road conditions during the rainy and winter seasons. I’m always confident that the bearings are well lubricated.



This thread is pretty old ,the OP asked about Red N Tacky, some seem to be having heartburn with synthetics , I have used both Mobile 1 ,and Red N Tacky ,both have performed well.


My Opinion: The guy who bumped the thread is a spammer.


2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230


NamMedevac 70

Reno

Senior Member

Joined: 11/09/2020

View Profile



Posted: 12/17/21 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For many years I have had excellent results with synthetic grease with no drooling, dripping, leaking, squirting, etc. Worth the small extra cost to me. YEP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Best wheel bearing grease
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.