|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Nascar Follies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 219  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pismopete

central cal

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

The ending was just great. NO BURNOUT! Great!

x2

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, I came away with a feeling of emptiness. IMO a sure sign of desperation is converting one NASCAR track into a dirt track. What does it mean? Has anyone identified the problem that they are trying to solve?

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generate buzz? Apparently it worked. Bristol is sold out for the Cup race (a socially distant 30000). World of Outlaws is racing at Bristol in April as well so all that dirt isn't going to waste. [emoticon]

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Notes on NASCAR page about qualifying for Bristol Dirt Track Race. If you were/ are a dirt tracker, you will recognize the system.

Quote:

Each series will have four qualifying heats of 15 laps each. Heat field size will depend upon the size of the overall entry list. So, if there are 44 cars, there will be 11 cars in each heat race. Only green-flag laps will count. No overtime rule will be in effect, but free-pass and wave-around procedures will remain.

Qualifying heat assignments and starting positions will be determined by a random draw, conducted in order of current team owner points standings.

The starting lineup will be determined by a formula that weighs finishing position plus positions gained during each heat. Drivers finishing first in their heats earn 10 points, second place earns nine, third place earns eight and so forth. Additionally, drivers earn one passing point for each position gained in their heat; there are no points deductions or “negative points” for drivers who lose positions in their heats. Also, these points are merely used to calculate the starting lineup and do not count toward the championship standings.

Ties in these combined points totals will be broken by current team owner points.

For about 12 years, I did the draw, heat lineups, passing points calculations, and feature lineups at the Chili Bowl in Tulsa. Nice to see the Bristol race is going to be a real dirt track race.

PS - I won't get to see the Bristol Dirt Track race as it runs - granddaughter's wedding.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. Let me say, I've never been a big fan of Nascar, but I've watched races here and there. As I read the way they will determine the starting order, a person who wins their heat by leading wire to wire may very well not be in the top starting position determined by that heat if 2nd or 3rd behind him started at the back of the field and worked their way to the higher position. Am I reading that right or do they have some other way to deal with that? Just curious and figure you guys are way more knowledgeable than I am on this.

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, a guy who wins his heat after starting on the pole only gets 10 points.

A guy who starts eighth but finishes third will have 13 points - 8 for his finish position, and 5 'passing points'.

At the Chili Bowl where we would have 10-12 heats, not all the heat winners would make the A feature. Several had to start the B.

Where I've seen the system used at the Chili Bowl and dirt tracks around Oklahoma and Texas, the critical point is the position of the cars when the FIRST green flag is thrown. The lineup can change if a car has trouble making the start, or such. The lineup that takes the green flag is used to calculate passing points - not the lineup posted before the race.

But a guy who has a near the front starting spot, cannot choose to fall to the back and start there to gain more passing points.

Assuming 36 cars with 9 per heat, it is too much of a risk to fall back and try to make up all the positions in 15 laps just for the passing points. Everyone will make the race if there are 40 entries or fewer.

While the system could be manipulated, folks who use it, promoters and race officials, know how to spot the 'cheaters' and there are penalties in the rules.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't wait to watch this. How will the higher banking affect the cars?
Congrats to the Granddaughter.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Cloud Dancer

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

I can't wait to watch this. How will the higher banking affect the cars?
Congrats to the Granddaughter.

To the best of my knowledge, they've never run 3,000 lb stock cars on dirt at Bristol. It's an experiment I would never invest in.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/21 04:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the trend continues with a different winner for too many more weeks the field of 16 may not include some big names.
Vegas was a good race with lots of 3 wide for the lead until Larson put it away late.

Cloud Dancer

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/21 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish the trend was towards 1-1/2 mile racetracks with just the right ratio of length of straightaway to radius of turns, plus just the right amount of banking. Yeah, just like Las Vegas. AND, if they kept the present rules constant, we would end up seeing lots of good racing, just like we did last Sunday.
Congratulations to Kyle Larson, Rick Hendrick, the crewchief and crew and sponsors. BTW my man Kyle Busch ended up with a podium finish, so congrats to him.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 219  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Nascar Follies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.