RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Nascar Follies

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

 > Nascar Follies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 226  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 03/09/21 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mean like Atlanta International Raceway? Pre the Bruton Smith change to Atlanta Motor Speedway and a Charlotte clone in 1996. 1/4 mile straights, and 1/2 mile turns.


2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD


TxGearhead

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/26/21 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anybody know Tony Stewart's phone number? Bristol Motor Speedway needs help. I'm here for the dirt race. There is no berm or cushion, it's just dry red dirt at what appears from the stands to be the same elevation as the the grove. Dry, as in very dry.
The forecast calls for rain. We'll see if that helps.


2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/08/2001

View Profile



Posted: 03/26/21 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I choose to not waste too much space talking about all my racing experience, and all my experience processing clay for my own racetrack (for Saturday night racing).
I saw what happened at Bristol today. It does take a lot of knowhow to properly prepare the clay dirt. For Bristol, it wood take custom made equipment and good management of the equipment operators. PERSONALLY, I would not be interesting in trying it on THAT kind of banking. BUT, I'm not Tony Stewart.


Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

TxGearhead

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting plenty of rain now, and wind, and black clouds.
I'm not seeing how they can make todays time trials.
Sunday afternoon maybe.
Our 5th was rocking.

Cloud Dancer.....besides costs, why do not these big event dirt tracks roll out covers/tarps before heavy rains? Like a baseball stadium.
Just south of you in Liberty.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/08/2001

View Profile



Posted: 03/27/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

Getting plenty of rain now, and wind, and black clouds.
I'm not seeing how they can make todays time trials.
Sunday afternoon maybe.
Our 5th was rocking.

Cloud Dancer.....besides costs, why do not these big event dirt tracks roll out covers/tarps before heavy rains? Like a baseball stadium.
Just south of you in Liberty.

*
The design and layout does not lend itself to accommodating a giant tarp. It's not a level playfield and has too many obstructions. Plus the drainage of the water which the tarp would hold presents a major problem. But, it's an interesting question. I'm not sure if it's ever been considered, thanks.

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

Senior Member

Joined: 01/08/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/27/21 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, Bob Newton passed away. Or it might be time to call him and his Hoosier Tire Co. for help with the bias ply tires that Badyear and FRANCECAR are struggling with.

bucky

Raleigh metro

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/28/21 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a view thru the windshield during the truck race from Bristol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr0uj42Qwnk&ab_channel=NASCARonFOX

This isn't going to end smoothly for the Cup cars either.


2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL


Geo*Boy

Unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2020

View Profile






Posted: 03/28/21 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

Here's a view thru the windshield during the truck race from Bristol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr0uj42Qwnk&ab_channel=NASCARonFOX

This isn't going to end smoothly for the Cup cars either.

Wow, what a joke.

TxGearhead

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/28/21 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's about mid day in Bristol. The third line of storms came in at 2:32am. It's been raining ever since yesterday mid afternoon. I don't see them getting on the track today.
The dirt they used is very fine. Doesn't look like its very sticky, but there are driver reports that it was coming apart in large clumps.
Some tracks run dry...Eldora. Seems my local tracks were raced wetter. The Chili Bowl is a similar temporary track. Stewart pours t he water on it. Then packs it in.
They use an implement that I assume Lanny Edwards had at Devils Bowl and Lawton. It's some kind of cultivator I had never seen before. Looks like vertical duck bills that rotate. Several rows of them on a platform behind a tractor. It loosens the dirt enough to level out ruts. They could use that here when it starts to get dry and gets ruts.
Glad I'm not responsible for this nightmare.

TxGearhead

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/28/21 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

Getting plenty of rain now, and wind, and black clouds.
I'm not seeing how they can make todays time trials.
Sunday afternoon maybe.
Our 5th was rocking.

Cloud Dancer.....besides costs, why do not these big event dirt tracks roll out covers/tarps before heavy rains? Like a baseball stadium.
Just south of you in Liberty.

*
The design and layout does not lend itself to accommodating a giant tarp. It's not a level playfield and has too many obstructions. Plus the drainage of the water which the tarp would hold presents a major problem. But, it's an interesting question. I'm not sure if it's ever been considered, thanks.

I was thinking lightweight tarps of whatever material on a large diameter tube (36") maybe 30 ft long that would unroll and cover only the track. Might have to use an overlapping layer to cover the entire width. Water could run off to the infield.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 226  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

 > Nascar Follies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.