|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Painting interior of brand new camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
tlieder

MInneapolis, Mn

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/17 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just purchased a Coleman 1805RB and the first modification we are doing is to paint the interior cabinets and walls white. First, I would love advise on everything from technique to supplies to the name of a great white color paint. Second, is the paint process for this any different since it is a brand new camper and not a used one? Finally, do I just paint right over the wall, and if so, will there be a texture that shows through?

thanks for all the advise!

**2019 Winnebago Minnie Plus 27rbds

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/17 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to a good paint store and ask about the best paint for cabinets.

You will need to prep well. Sand very lightly to degloss the finish, then wash with TSP. Use a satin or semigloss finish for the cabinets.

The wall texture will show through. Use an eggshell finish.

Consider painting the walls and cabinets both light colors, but not exactly the same. Something like a pale neutral gray for the walls would be a little more interesting.

I wish white cabinets were an option in RVs any more. I hate all the super-dark colors.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

NYCgrrl

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/17 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd let the unit gas off before painting....maybe a month after purchase.
As for colour of white paint that's pretty subjective. There are whites with shades of yellow, blue, red, etc. Look at a feature you are NOT changing such as the flooring to decide what color to pickup on. Also look at the colour of the sunlight in the room at different times of the day. It's nice that so many paint manufacturers are giving larger paper samples nowadays as well as small paint samplers.

A semi or high gloss paint is more durable than most satin finishes and might just be the answer for the cabinets. Personally, I would opt for a satin or eggshell finish for the walls to give contrast with satin giving more scrub-ability. I would use the floors finish in sheen to better decide what to use since you'll be close to having a vanilla box that needs vibrant coloured textiles to bring it back to life IMHO.

I'm a personal fan of these paint companies in term of durability, pigment and color selections: Benjamin Moore; Pratt-Lambert and Old World Dutch paint(might have the last company's name off but they make excellent door paints).

HTH.

Edit: Went into my notes and realised it's called Fine Paints of Europe NOT Old World Dutch paint. It's $$$ up front but will save you in labor costs as long as you don't change your paint colours every year or so. Intensely perfect for high traffic usage like doors and IMO worth ever penny spent on it. I specified it for painted elevator and front doors of multiple dwellings I managed and it held up, on average, for 6.6 years. It might be applied to my kitchen and bathroom cabinets and interior (exterior side is the buildings' concern) entrance doors in my new residence; still mulling.

At a lower cost there is also Sherwin Williams Duration line w/ similar attributes. Unfortunately, there are not many stand alone SW stores in my area.

* This post was edited 02/15/17 02:34pm by NYCgrrl *

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/17 03:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NYCgrrl wrote:

I'd let the unit gas off before painting....maybe a month after purchase.

X2. I'd probably wait several months.
Any paint store can give you advice on how to do the job. You will have to chose the color, we all have different opinions.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/17 05:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the cabinets, sand the shine off any parts that are actually made of wood - the doors maybe? Then use Kilz latex primer. It would be better if you did more than one coat of primer. On my Coleman, the cabinet boxes are made from particle board and covered with wood grain vinyl. Not sure how well that will hold up to painting - good luck. Maybe scuff it a little and use the Kilz as well. Use fine grit - don't remember the specific grit I used - sorry.

Use Benjamin Moore Advance Interior paint - expensive, but you will love this paint.

I recently repainted all the woodwork in my house including some bathroom cabinets using this method. This paint lays down smooth and looks like I sprayed it. Usually takes two coats.

Post pictures of your completed project!

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/17 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The point of the vinyl covering in the cabinet frame is a good one. It may not stay stuck if it gets wet with paint. The doors on mine are wood but the cabinet frame is vinyl covered which is standard on the average unit. That said, we used the Rustoleum product for cabinets in our home and it came out fantastic. Its labor and time intensive and prep is vital for a good outcome.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/17 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a product called Flo-trol which is great for painting really smooth surfaces. It makes the paint level out super-smooth.

Vulcanmars

Naples, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/17 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The white cabinets remark had me curious so I google it. They look so strange, not in a bad way. I never seen a unit with white cabinets.

Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/17 06:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The walls of nearly all RVs are paneling covered in some sort of colored vinyl layer to give it a pattern of sort.

It might be really hard to get paint to adhere to that stuff and look decent.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/17 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vulcanmars wrote:

The white cabinets remark had me curious so I google it. They look so strange, not in a bad way. I never seen a unit with white cabinets.

I've seen several, but not in the last 4-5 years. It's all "espresso" color now. Blech.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Painting interior of brand new camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.