RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Deep Cycle Battery???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Deep Cycle Battery???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
richardtc17

Carmel, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/17 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

If you had two RV/marine batteries I'd say use them till they drop then go with true deep cycle batteries. With one RV/marine battery it depends on whether you plug in at all your campgrounds. If yes, later. If no, replace now.

We are beginners, but are looking forward to trying sites with little to no services. What about another battery? How close does it need to match my existing one? That is, can it be a deep cycle?

Thanks!

richardtc17

Carmel, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/17 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Most RVs are sold with a similar group 24 hybrid battery. They also do just fine for most owners because they always camp with hook ups.

Whether or not this battery works well for you depends on your use. You didn't say how you will be camping.

We are looking forward to trying sites with little to no services. I guess I minimally will look into another battery to run in parallel.

Also looking into a 100 Watt solar panel and charge controller setup that can be upgraded if needed.

Thanks!

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/17 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Richard, they should match up as to age and I prefer as to brand and capacity. If you want to dry camp or boondock, buy the matched batteries now...but keep the original (charged) as a back up or "tv" battery. My last two week outing was a "no" plug in trip.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/17 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Also looking into a 100 Watt solar panel and charge controller setup that can be upgraded if needed." Richard, general guideline is one watt of solar for each amp of battery capacity. Expandable? Yes!

Searching_Ut

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/17 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're looking for deep cycle batteries, I just picked up 4 Duracell EGC2 batteries at my local sams club for $92.50 a piece. They're made by Deka and are identical to the GC15 6 volt batteries with a 20hr rate of 230 AH. Not a bad price. You can get the slightly lower capacity for about $85 per battery at either Sams Club or Costco. The Costco batteries are Interstate brand in most areas I believe. Just remember you'll also have to pay a core charge which varies by state if you don't have an exchange battery.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/17 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it works somewhat better with a large wattage inverter.

No, many RV'ers have 1000 watt inverters that can present a load of 120 amps to the battery bank.

Searching_Ut wrote:

If you wanted to run a high power inverter for short periods of time it might be a good choice. Most RV'ers however are looking for low to medium power demand, for a fair amount of time. they also tend to want to drain the battery down a fair bit, often to 50 percent SOC or so.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/17 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd suggest to buy two of those Sam's club batteries and either hold on to the marine battery, sell it, or pass it along to family and friends.

At my local Sam's the core charge is only $5 so I chose to pay it.

These 6V deep discharge battery are made for golf carts and as such, are durable.
If you treat them right, they'll provide 12V power for long durations, depending on your use.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ysidive

Driveway

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/17 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could also opt to purchase AMG batteries at Sams Club...They have Duracell Deep Cycle AMG 31 Series batteries at very reasonable prices...The AMG batteries can be discharged further than a normal wet cell battery... Advantage that they are sealed, never need water added..True maintenance Free... Made By Deka Battery...Same Specs as the Deka 31ADTM... Only difference is the warranty, but a lot less in dollars...These are Marine Deep cycle...

richardtc17

Carmel, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/17 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Most RVs are sold with a similar group 24 hybrid battery. They also do just fine for most owners because they always camp with hook ups.

Whether or not this battery works well for you depends on your use. You didn't say how you will be camping.

Thanks for asking! Our maiden voyage is this weekend, three nights in Charlestown State Park in southern Indiana, near Louisville - electric only, no problem.

In early June we are making a loop out west that includes three nights in Rocky Mountain NP with no hookups, as well as the same in Grand Canyon NP.

We will be field testing our current battery this weekend. Likely we will need to supplement it.

Looks like our choices are:
  • Another battery in parallel
  • All new battery setup - a few choices here
  • Adequate solar
  • Generator

My preference is a combination of battery/solar.

Thanks again!

richardtc17

Carmel, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/17 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ysidive wrote:

You could also opt to purchase AMG batteries at Sams Club...They have Duracell Deep Cycle AMG 31 Series batteries at very reasonable prices...The AMG batteries can be discharged further than a normal wet cell battery... Advantage that they are sealed, never need water added..True maintenance Free... Made By Deka Battery...Same Specs as the Deka 31ADTM... Only difference is the warranty, but a lot less in dollars...These are Marine Deep cycle...

Thanks so much! Will check out these options.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Deep Cycle Battery???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS