RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Every regret your small TT?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Every regret your small TT?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
MudQueen22

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/17 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been reading quite a bit about choosing a travel trailer.

We are rather intimidated by anything large, but so many posters say they regretted buying a smaller TT and ended up trading for a larger one.

Does anyone not regret buying a small TT (under 25')?
Does anyone wish they had purchased a small TT over a larger one?

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/17 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sort of. we bought a 26' and if I find a Nash that's 29', I'll probably swap.

Part of it depends on how long you'll spend in it. If it's just for a 2 - 3 day weekend, small ones are fine. If you're going to do a couple of months in it, 25' is just a little too short in my opinion, especially if you get into some bad weather. You need an extra foot in the bedroom to get around the bed, and extra foot in the bathroom so you can turn around or towel off, and an extra foot in the kitchen so you have enough counter space to prepare a meal.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/17 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went from sleeping bag in bed of truck to sleeping bags in tent to camper to pop-up to small travel trailer to larger travel trailer to smaller 5th wheel to large 5th wheel with slides.

Love the large 5th wheel but now that we are NOT Full Timing we are ready for a small travel trailer so we can get into places that just not conducive to dragging large 5th wheel into

Just depends on ones idea of how they are going to use it.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

cmcdar

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/17 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a 20ft Hybrid two years ago.

Last winter we (wife and I plus two cats and a dog and occasional MIL) spent 3 months living in it. Loved it!

This winter we are spending four months living in it. This year we have we also entertained my sister for week.

This camper is just perfect for us and our lifestyle. Bigger i not always better. Bigger may just be a PITA.

* This post was edited 02/21/17 10:19pm by cmcdar *

HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

NYCgrrl

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/17 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think people should know what stage in life they are at and buy accordingly. I realise this can be hard to figure out but it's the best advice I can give.

Our purchased TT is...17.25' and fine for the 2 of us with an occasional visitor.

I'm not interested in spending a lot of time cleaning or mimicking my S+B existence of multiple rooms, on wheels. Maybe that would have been nice when I'd a growing family and active social life at the campground but it holds no particular appeal for me now.

We want to spend time in and within nature, hiking, cycling, and maybe kayaking across the continent and get out, memories intact, to embark on some other adventures.

Know yourself, your priorities and you'll make the right choice for you and yours [emoticon].

SwanInWA

Western Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/17 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. The bigger you are, the more limited you are -- and we prefer dry camping in DNR and USNF type campgrounds. 30 yeas of camping (up to 6 weeks a a time), half dozen rigs, never owned anything bigger than 24'.

Teri (the RV.netter)
Eric (the significant other)
Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/17 01:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we were fine with our 24'11" Hybrid TT for 10 years.
now that we're retired, it's too small and no walkaround bed.
so, we're getting a 26'6" Tracer 255AIR.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/17 01:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Every regret your small TT?

No. But I would definitely stay with a dual axle.

I went from a 16ft TT single axle to a 21ft TT dual axle and then on to a 31ft MH.

If I had do-overs, I would most definitely go back to my my 21ft dual axle Palomino Thoroughbred TT!

Which I am presently looking to find another one and it's like they disappeared off the face of the earth or I had the only one made. [emoticon]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/17 03:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone has their own requirements when it comes to a tt. We have a small 17' and have no regrets. However, the longest trips we take is 2 weeks.

Yes, there are some features we would get the next time that aren't available in a 17, but we're not really interested until we retire and take extended trips.

I have no interest whatsoever in just hanging out inside my tt.

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/17 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from a 29' trailer down to our 26'9" Minnie and have not had any regrets. But after having only a dinette (no couch), we decided to remove the dinette and replace is with a 74" couch and a small end table. We picked our 2201DS because of the amount of storage space it has, a roomy bathroom and an outdoor kitchen. We've managed quite well and have taken 6 week trips.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Every regret your small TT?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS