RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Every regret your small TT?

RV Blog

RV Sales

RV Parks

RV Club

RV Buyers Guide

Roadside Assistance

Extended Service Plan

RV Travel Assistance

RV Credit Card

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Every regret your small TT?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/17 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been camping in our 2004 21 foot TT since it was brand new, and with 2 kids, and have loved every minute of it. Now that it is just wife and myself, the TT is perfect.

We really just don't spend that much time in the camper except for sleeping.

Sure, every once in a while it would have been nicer to have a bigger TT, but you can say that about anything!

2008 F-250 CrewCab 5.4L,
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/17 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we are campers not RV'ers we came fromt tenting then pop ups. I personally like the popups best (can still bring the boat that way) but the wife wanted the drop and go convenience of a tt. she used to tolerate going for me now she loves it. well worth the "upgrage" that said we have an old prowler 19E that is tired and spent but paid for. NOTHING fancy. we love it. will likely replace with a high end pop up or another small tt when this ones ready to go. the kids will grow up camping not watching tv in the forest.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/17 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MudQueen22 wrote:

I've been reading quite a bit about choosing a travel trailer.

We are rather intimidated by anything large, but so many posters say they regretted buying a smaller TT and ended up trading for a larger one.

Does anyone not regret buying a small TT (under 25')?
Does anyone wish they had purchased a small TT over a larger one?

We have a KZ Sportsman Classic 17RBS and with me & my wife & 2 small dogs it plenty of room for us. We've only spent 11 days straight in it so far but plan on 6 weeks next winter in Florida.

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/17 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any who claim they don't spend "any time" inside their camper are full of it [emoticon] ... of course you do, everyone does, even if it's just for sleeping. We enjoy everything about camping with our travel trailer, be it outside OR inside - and that enjoyment has absolutely zero to do with "getting back to nature" - we do what we do, when we want to do it, whether inside or outside and our travel trailer is the key to that enjoyment. [emoticon] To answer the OP's question more directly - trailer size has nothing to do with it so no, we don't regret our 19' couple's model at all, it has everything we need in a camper ... measuring just 22' 6" coupler to bumper I can put it on any size campsite, which is particularly useful when we just want to do some last minute camping or may be traveling, don't have a reservation, and have to take whatever site might be available. I can also keep it here at the house during the camping season, parked on our driveway where I also use it as my "man cave". Sure, it's much smaller than our previous triple bunk bed family trailer but since we no longer have a use for bunks there was no point in continuing to drag them around with us. We have no plans to go any larger but should that ever happen it would only be slightly longer, certainly no more than 25' total, and we'd only do it for the interior features it might offer, not because it was longer. Many won't agree but I'm amused virtually every time we camp watching others trying to jam their behemoths into campsites not suited for such massive stick 'n brick homes on wheels. [emoticon]

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/17 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first trailer was a Nash 22H, one bedroom trailer. When it was just my bride and I it was wonderful. The camper was small though... my wife had to climb over me to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, we couldn't walk past each other in the kitchen because it was too tight.

We had child #1 and it made it even smaller. We put our pack and play on the dinette table and were able to continue camping. If it rained... we were out of luck because there wasn't room for my daughter to play around inside the small camper.

Child #2 came along and we knew that our Nash wouldn't be big enough for two little toddlers to play and sleep. We sold our Nash and bought a 29' Jayco with a big slide out.

While I like the Jayco and find it to be much more comfortable and enjoy the interior living space, I do miss the simplicity and ease of the smaller trailer. We could go to literally any campground and get a spot with our 22' trailer, it always fit. Now with our new Jayco (35; overall length) we have to be much more diligent when making reservations. We no longer fit in the easiest to get sites at our favorite Florida campground. They have smaller sites that are mainly used as weekly rentals, whereas the larger sites are mostly used by seasonal renters.

We are still small enough for state campgrounds, thankfully. There are benefits and drawbacks to every type of trailer. If it was just the two of us, we would likely have a much smaller trailer.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

East Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/17 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love our 21' TT. Try getting into most National Parks with a long camper. We spend 3 month at a time in ours. There are just two of us. Now, if you stay inside most of the time get a big camper with a big Television.

2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/17 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I can serve as the poster child of the most people in the smallest trailer for the most years.
Me and the wife and 3 kids now 10, 12, 14 in a tiny single Axle hybrid. 17 feet long ball to bumper. Main body 7 wide by 13 long, plus front and rear tent beds.

We are mainly "long weekend" campers, the longest ever was 6 nights.
We try to spend as much time as we can outside, but sometimes weather makes that difficult, but we've been lucky overall.

Given my choice, I would make the bathroom and refrigerator just slightly bigger, maybe starching the trailer 2 feet total, but that's it!

I love that I can get into any rustic state park site, and can squeeze it next to the house as a man cave/ guest house

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/17 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My size camper is perfect for what I want to be doing...

My lifestyle is camping not traveling...

To me it all depends what you want to do...

We are avid tent campers from the 50s and 60s and really only enjoy camping off-road hopefully creekside somewhere. We do occasionally travel to the Myrtle Beach area for family visits and of course all of our road trips always go through the Smoky Mtns around the Gatlinburg area...

If we were doing the RV Travel mode all across the country then it would most likely be a different story on what we would want to bring with us for Road trip comfort...

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/17 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone's situation is different. We started with a small tent, then went to a big 3 room cabin tent to a pop-up to a 23', 3 bed Hybrid to our current 32' Motorhome with 2 slides. The hybrid was a great improvement over the pop-up. Wife and I slept on one bed, kids on another bed and we had an entire bed for guests or storage. We really enjoyed the hybrid, but it was limited.

The last few years we have spent 4 - 5 months in a seasonal site in the summer. Now that the kids are older and I work out of the house, the hybrid would not work for us. We bought the Motorhome before we started camping seasonal and figured it would be our last RV for a long time. It is too small for us for seasonal camping. Works out great for short term camping, but after a few weeks, it starts getting cramping. Having to tear down my office twice a day so we can eat gets old quick. We are now looking at a 40' Destination trailer with 2 bedrooms and 4 slides.

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/17 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both: regretted buying a too small one and then bought one that was too big.
Goldie Locks now\\\\ we have a 30 footer and it's just right for the 2 of us and the mutt.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax LBZ
Blue Ox SwayPro

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Every regret your small TT?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS