|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Convert Onan QG5500 LP to Gas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/17 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Safely carrying around enough fuel for our generator to boondock with is an issue I haven't quite solved yet.

We have an Onan 5.5HGJAB-1119 genset which runs on LP, and I am considering converting it to gas. Using gas, I could get an appropriately shaped fuel cell to fit in a recess under the RV, and run a filler neck to the outside. Additionally, gasoline is easier to get with just a couple jerry cans and any corner station.

The big dilemma is how to convert it to gas. It lists the same engine, EH65V, for both the LP and gas versions. I know that I will at least need the carb from the gas model, part number 5410765, fuel filter 149234101, fuel pump 541-1002, and however much fuel line I need. Has anyone done this conversion, or can anyone on here verify those are the parts required?

2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn +mods
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad) +mods
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split +mods
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh +mods
Houseless not homeless

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/17 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may need some different control board too, and perhaps some bits and pieces for the choke linkage. Maybe you could get parts manuals for both variants and see what the differences are that way.

Have you tried contacting Cummins (or an area Cummins repair center)? I don't know if they'd be any help or not, but it never hurts to enquire.

Rvpapa

Alberta , Can.

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/17 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the cylinder head part numbers. Don't really know Onan but Kohler used a higher compresion head for many propane single fuel units.
Art.

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/17 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I contacted a dealer earlier this morning and they're going to go work with me this week to figure out the part #s. Hopefully it'll be somewhat practical/reasonable to do, or else I'll try to find someone willing to trade.

mwachel

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

I contacted a dealer earlier this morning and they're going to go work with me this week to figure out the part #s. Hopefully it'll be somewhat practical/reasonable to do, or else I'll try to find someone willing to trade.

Old thread...but did this ever work?

4 walls and wheels

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mwachel wrote:

jshupe wrote:

Old thread...but did this ever work?

It did - I don't have the part numbers on hand (or in my email) because it was all handled via phone. The Cummins/Onan dealer was super helpful and even delivered the parts to my house. I used a marine fuel tank and fuel pump sourced from Amazon and a bunch of misc fittings from auto parts stores.

I ultimately converted it back to LP because I wanted the space from the fuel tank back for my solar equipment. Generators aren't for me.

Edit: it looks like I posted the part numbers above, but if I recall correctly, the ones posted weren't correct. Or maybe they were - it's an old thread, unfortunately, as you said.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Convert Onan QG5500 LP to Gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.