RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Toroweap Overlook

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jstaffon

Idaho Falls, Idaho US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well....I didn't get to do the this trip last year. I'm down here again this year and committed to making the trek. I talked to a couple Rangers and they recommended running a low tire pressure to minimize the chance of tire damage. Does anyone have a good tire pressure to use for a GMC 2500 Duramax with Michelin LTX A/T, LT265/70R18, Load E tires?

2013 GMC Sierra 2500 HD, Duramax
2016 Forest River Rockwood 8299BS

Jeff
Idaho Falls, Idaho
---

huachuca

Tarboro, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jstaffon wrote:

Well....I didn't get to do the this trip last year. I'm down here again this year and committed to making the trek. I talked to a couple Rangers and they recommended running a low tire pressure to minimize the chance of tire damage. Does anyone have a good tire pressure to use for a GMC 2500 Duramax with Michelin LTX A/T, LT265/70R18, Load E tires?

Tacoma 4WD double cab with P265/75R16 BFG KO2's here. I drop down to 18 psi on rocks and to 16 on deeper sand. I wouldn't recommend anything below 12 due to the risk of blowing a bead.

If you don't already have one, I'd also suggest a decent 12V compressor (ViAir, MasterFlow, etc). With tires the size of yours, a higher quality unit with alligator clips rather than a cigarette lighter plug will have a much better duty cycle. A good tire plug kit and the knowledge to use it is another recommended accessory. It may be overkill but, when travelling in more remote areas or for long distances, I carry a second spare for both the truck and the camper.

Please post back here or PM me with details of this track. We'll be in northen AZ and southern UT for about six weeks starting in mid May and I'd like to do this same trail. TIA.

jstaffon

Idaho Falls, Idaho US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow....that's a lot lower than I was thinking! I'm hoping I don't need them that low. I plan to tow my ATVs until the road begins to get rough. I'll make a note on this to contact you via the forum. I also plan to make a Youtube video that talks specifically to the road condition at various checkpoints throughout the 61 mile trek. Of all the videos I've watched, not one of them talks to the road condition (not weather related but roughness based on location) during this drive. I stopped at Pipe Springs today and talked to the Native American Park Ranger who has made the trip multiple times. He pointed out exactly on the map where I should expect good road, sharp rocks, lava rock and the necessity for a high clearance vehicle. Sounds like the road is reasonable until about 10 miles from the overlook. I also plan to track cell phone coverage (Verizon service) throughout. I'm told there's coverage most of the way in and then when you're at the rim/overlook. There's apparently a cell tower south of the South Rim....weak but a signal. I'll also document that. I think I'll run my tires at 40 psi. I've played with 65 front; 75 rear when towing my 5th wheel, 65 front and back when empty which is where the GM tire shop sets them, and 55 front; 60 rear when empty. I like the ride at 55-60 empty. Not brave enough to go lower than 40. Cross your fingers! Thanks for the reply.

huachuca

Tarboro, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/18 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the additional info and I look forward to the video.

I've found two reasons to air down - Traction issues or ride comfort. Unless I encounter one or the other, I stay at highway pressure. Ask the ranger what pressure they run when driving this road and go from there.

We stopped at Pipe Spring in late summer two years back and they shared corn, squash and beans from their native vegetable garden. Really nice staff there and an interesting history of the place.

jstaffon

Idaho Falls, Idaho US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/18 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I promised a video of my Toroweap trip. I didn't spend much time at all on the high clearance vehicle part of the road. There are a lot of videos that talk to that. My video focuses on the other 55+ miles of the road leading up to the tough part and then the overlook itself. My truck is a 2500 HD Duramax so the road seemed a lot bumpier than it probably is. I also don't like beating the heck out of my truck. I also spent a lot of time talking to BLM and forest Rangers before I planned my trip. The most significant thing I found out is clearly noted on the brochure for Toroweap. Maximum length of truck and trailer of 22 feet and all vehicles must be licensed "on road" vehicles. We had Idaho "Restricted" plates which didn't qualify. Although in Idaho we can drive on unpaved roads regardless of their designation...county, state, etc road. The Ranger stopped us at the Ranger Station about 6 miles from the canyon. He was pretty nice but made it clear we were risking getting a ticket if we proceeded. He also told us that he wanted us to see the canyon...having driven all that way...and that he had some things to take care of and would be tied up for a few hours....wink, wink.

Here's the link to my Youtube video.

https://youtu.be/429SSJyslWA

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/18 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very interesting. And what a great view of the river, the best that I've seen. We wanted to go last time we were out there but talking to a ranger in Jacob Lake, she said it was not passable. They had a major wash-out. So we didn't try it.

Not sure what camera you are using, the video was pretty good, if you have a separate microphone I'd suggest getting something called a 'dead cat'. No joke, they look like a fuzzy sock that slides over the mic and dampens all that wind noise. Also cut your exposure back a little. Just a couple suggestions.

Hope to make it out there this summer.

Dead Cats

Geez that point and shoot version is grossly overpriced.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/18 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice video. Now you have to raft the Canyon through that area! We did!!

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jstaffon

Idaho Falls, Idaho US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/18 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

If I recall correctly, some of the forest roads in that area have locked gates during the winter -- the ranger would know where the closures are. There may be a way around the closures, because the roads in that area have many cross-connections.

I didn't see any places where the road could be blocked with a gate or fence. It's possible though. Most of the areas where there were fences near the road included cattle crossing guards. That would be a great question for the Ranger and BLM. I wouldn't go in if there was snow on the ground. I do know, people normally go in there around November to the end of December to hike because of the cooler temperatures. That area, which includes Kanab, Fredonia, Tuweep and the overlook don't get much of any snow during the winter. The regular North-Rim access road is closed until May 15th because of the altitude at that place in the canyon. January and February could be questionable. We did our trip in March and had great weather and road conditions. We had a lot of rain on Friday and by the following Wednesday the roads were completely dry even with cooler temperatures in the 50s.

jstaffon

Idaho Falls, Idaho US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/18 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

Nice video. Now you have to raft the Canyon through that area! We did!!

That would be awesome. If you noted in the video, I had a few seconds on Lava Falls. That is supposedly one of the biggest rapids on the river. It looked like it was about a mile or two downstream from the overlook. I'll have to add that to my bucket list.

jstaffon

Idaho Falls, Idaho US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/18 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Very interesting. And what a great view of the river, the best that I've seen. We wanted to go last time we were out there but talking to a ranger in Jacob Lake, she said it was not passable. They had a major wash-out. So we didn't try it.

Not sure what camera you are using, the video was pretty good, if you have a separate microphone I'd suggest getting something called a 'dead cat'. No joke, they look like a fuzzy sock that slides over the mic and dampens all that wind noise. Also cut your exposure back a little. Just a couple suggestions.

Hope to make it out there this summer.

Dead Cats

Geez that point and shoot version is grossly overpriced.

Hope you can make it! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

jstaffon@yahoo.com

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS