|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> auxiliary fuel tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GoPackGo

Wandering Aimlessly

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/17 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First - Gravity flow diesel aux tanks are completely legal.

I full time and have had an RDS aux tank in my 2013 F350 since new. I have the 40 gallon/tool box combo. The OEM tank is 37.5 gallons so I have over 70 gallons total, depending on how much fuel I put in the aux tank. The thing is great.

The gravity feed works fine and their install kit includes a 1-way solenoid that stops flow from the aux tank when fuel backs up the OEM filler line and contacts it.

RDS tanks are sold through the company itself or Northern Tool. RDS has many sizes with several different footprints - combo units like mine and also ones that are fuel only. Not sure that the Northern Tool site shows all available options. I bought mine from RDS.

I like mine because it fits below the bed rail and I can still use a tonneau cover when not towing. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought their 60 gallon combo as it has the same dimensions - just a smaller toolbox. I just don't carry that many tools in the box.

I suggest you take a look at the RDS site and browse the various options. You can also call them to see if they know of an installer near you if you don't want to do it yourself.

djgodden

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/17 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check both Titan Fuel Tanks (Idaho Falls, ID) and Transfer Flow (Chico, CA). Titan Fuels likely has a replacement tank which might double your fuel capacity while not interfering with your bed. A Transfer Flow 50 gallon low profile tank bed installed will cost you right at $1,700 (parts, tax, full of fuel). Oddly enough, a 56 gallon Titan tank also is about the same price. Additionally, if you've upgraded wheels and tires they have a 36ish gallon tank which fits into where the spare usually goes. Because most people don't upgrade their spare and putting an off sized spare on a large truck while towing isn't wise.

2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/17 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 50 something gal Titan Replacement tank in mine. I can carry over 50 gallons of fuel and still have 100% full use of my truck bed.

peaeye1

TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/17 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

djgarcia wrote:

Check with Transfer Flow in Chico Ca. 1-530-893-5209 transfer flow.com. I don't think gravity feed fuel tanks are legal. I had a 60 gal fuel tank installed in the same location my original tank was located.

Not legal? [emoticon]

Splashers3

Oakville, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my 26 gal OEM tank with a 52 gal Titan tank on my 2008 GMC 2500...well, my new 2017 GMC DRW has only a 36 gal tank....I'm looking to add an aux tank. I can not decided between the RDS gravity fed 60 Gal tank and a titan 50 Gal tank with pump. It seems simple installation might be easier than the more complex titan install.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
Does the 2017 GMC 3500 OEM tank have the open vent that could overflow?

Thanks,
Mike

2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank. Trail Air Pin Box, TST Tire Monitor, Yamaha EF2000is.
2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

True story from 1976 of all years.

I went to Disney World. On the way down I stopped to help some folks in a Van who were broke down on the side of the road. Got 'em going again NO COST (Should have charged them a pretty girl. Oh well hindsight is 20 20)

They had serious fuel supply issues. They had gone so far as to replace the fuel pump (Waste of money as it turns out)

They had borrowed the van.. The owner had done a DIY aux tank which was located in one of the fenders (The main tank is where you expect it... between the frame rails)

Instead of a "3 way valve) he had two petcock type valves and a "T" fitting

Well with both valves open the Aux tank drained down to the Main tank and then the fuel pump sucked air.. Closed one of the petcocks and VAROOM off they went.

Moral. DO IT RIGHT

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m on my 3rd TV with a Transferflow. Very satisfied but if “cheap” is part of the discussion, forget it.

Larry

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sayoung wrote:

I have often thought about adding tank but I need the stop [emoticon]

Yea I need the stop to but it take less than 10 to stop at a rest stop v up ward of 30 to stop while in route to get fuel and go P and all that hassle in and out of a service station while towing. I love my 50 aux tank. I can get fuel while out running around sightseeing

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might read this thread.............

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12039........k-size-in-my-2012-f350-standard-box.html

and look at this web site............

http://titanfueltanks.com/products/mid-s........short-bed-super-series-2011-2016-7020211

Charles

2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ljr wrote:

I’m on my 3rd TV with a Transferflow. Very satisfied but if “cheap” is part of the discussion, forget it.

X1—-on my 4th Transfer tank??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> auxiliary fuel tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS