RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What is the dumbest things about your fifth wheel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What is the dumbest things about your fifth wheel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Goostoff

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/22 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

2) Fresh water drain lines hang below the bottom of the tanks, so if you overfill by even just a dribble, 30+ gallons will siphon off and spill down the street.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I came across this and had to share my DIY remedy. I got tired of pumping in 66 gallons of water only to have 30 of them siphon out on the pad and soak everything with water for half the weekend.

I went to Menards and grabbed some quick connect PEX fittings. I got a 90 degree elbow, a valve, and a 4 foot section of PEX. I trimmed the vent a little shorter, put the elbow on, added the tube to get it over to the side of the trailer and installed the valve. Now as soon as it is full and the water starts to run out I turn off the water and go close the vent valve. After the water has been ran a couple times or flushing the toilet a couple times I will just go back out and open the valve so it can vent

1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/22 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Switch placement & which lights are on which circuits.

Also, why do RVs use fuses instead of 12V circuit breaker panels like boats do? Guess I know that answer. Breakers cost more.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/22 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NW 27-5L.

Wasteful very shallow cabinet under entertainment unit. I had the dealer pull the door off and put in a fireplace.

Area above water pump is completely closed off and wasted space. I've turned it into a 2 shelf cabinet for shoes.

Biggest issue, the whole pass through has not been well thought out as they carried sewer pipes through what could be a much larger area, but no, they completely blocked that area off.

With slides in, access to pantry is blocked and so is the bedroom clothes closet. Wife did a most awesome job turning the clothes closet into cubes and shelves.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/22 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Never understood the obsession with accessibility with the slides in. I can get to the potty. I can get to one side of my 4 door fridge. When I stop for the night, no matter where, the slides are coming out. Never been a problem.

While we don't usually do long days, it's nice to be able to just pop into the fridge...grab and go.

But more an issue if you have something like the slide motor fail. Now getting access to the kitchen/bathroom/bed is really handy.

Also, one time we got caught in a helacious wind storm. We pulled the slide in and the rocking dropped dramatically. Because we had access, it wasn't a big issue.

On other notes:
- I agree, had dump handles under the slide and it was a pain to crawl under to use them.
- Rear kitchen doesn't mean you can't have access. We've had two rear kitchen rigs with good access while closed.

Another issue: Remote waste tank valves. Had one start leaking and the only way to get at it was major surgery to remove the underbelly covering. At least if you are going to do it, include an access panel...but much simpler to just put it right at the end of the pipe.

* This post was edited 02/06/22 07:10pm by valhalla360 *

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/22 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

1) No fresh water drain valve.

Actually on our current unit, it has a 1.5" drain valve (looks like a gray tank valve...but food safe, I assume)

OK option, but since it's usually a once a year thing to winterize, not a huge burden to unscrew the plugs we had on our prior units.

momentum rv

Central Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/22 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bathroom doors that open out into the hallway. Always in the way, and when closed you never know if someone is in there or not, always have to knock before opening. Pocket door is the ticket!

2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/22 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lights with no wall switches. How is a vertically challenged person, like a 4 y.o., supposed to be able to turn on a light if she needs to go potty in the middle of the night?

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/22 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

momentum rv wrote:

Bathroom doors that open out into the hallway. Always in the way, and when closed you never know if someone is in there or not, always have to knock before opening. Pocket door is the ticket!

And then you will be starting a thread about how the pocket door fell of it's tracks.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/22 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at a friends Hitch Hiker and wife asked to use the restroom. She goes inside and hits the first switch she sees and the big living-room slide starts to come in and the big black cat literally flew across the RV.
Scared the SHITE out of all of us.

momentum rv

Central Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/22 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

momentum rv wrote:

And then you will be starting a thread about how the pocket door fell of it's tracks.

Yup, I've seen plenty of those threads but 7+ years and no issues with mine! (and if I did, I'd just fix it!)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What is the dumbest things about your fifth wheel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.