RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 550  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep checking back to see if we're past the wheel wells yet. Nope! lol. Soon though...

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

I keep looking around for some place to get your metal angle iron. Found this outfit that does custom roll forming. Johnson Brothers They have a picture on their site that shows a profile exactly like you have drawn. Maybe fill out the RFQ form and see what they come back with. I would probably ask for 8 foot lengths just to save on shipping costs.
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Thanks for the info. I spent some time on their website, looking at different things, and then the light bulb went on. Details coming.

* This post was edited 09/11/19 08:59pm by fulltimin *

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, you are over $8300 in costs on this project. And you have not even begun to do the cabinets, plumbing, flooring, seats, couch, AC, heat TV etc. Not to mention the exterior and roof.

I am sorry to say, you can probably add another "0" to your costs by the time this gets done.

I respect you for what you are doing, and I can tell you are enjoying yourself. Sometimes there is greater value than just dollars and cents (sense).

However, at some point, someone has to slap you and make you come to your senses. This project, as noble and entertaining as it is, has no happy outcome.

I believe you are a craftsman, but by the time you finish this, you will have a vehicle with virtually no value, and to be perfectly honest, I doubt it will be road worthy. You have not even touched the mechanical aspects, which alone could
be as much as you have already spent, never mind the time you have involved.

You are free to continue with it. That is your choice. But you need to step back and look at your project and the time and money you have invested. Has it been worth it? Maybe the personal satisfaction you gain has greater value than the balance in your check book. However, you "could" simply buy a decent class C for around 10K and go fishing. Maybe your wife would agree. You should ask her.

I wish you all the luck in the world on your endeavor, but honestly, is it really worth it? I think its time to re-evaluate your project.

After all, it has been two years and three months, and you still have a very, very long way to go.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need more info...

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2bzy2c wrote:

Well, you are over $8300 in costs on this project. And you have not even begun to do the cabinets, plumbing, flooring, seats, couch, AC, heat TV etc. Not to mention the exterior and roof.

I am sorry to say, you can probably add another "0" to your costs by the time this gets done.

I respect you for what you are doing, and I can tell you are enjoying yourself. Sometimes there is greater value than just dollars and cents (sense).

However, at some point, someone has to slap you and make you come to your senses. This project, as noble and entertaining as it is, has no happy outcome.

I believe you are a craftsman, but by the time you finish this, you will have a vehicle with virtually no value, and to be perfectly honest, I doubt it will be road worthy. You have not even touched the mechanical aspects, which alone could
be as much as you have already spent, never mind the time you have involved.

You are free to continue with it. That is your choice. But you need to step back and look at your project and the time and money you have invested. Has it been worth it? Maybe the personal satisfaction you gain has greater value than the balance in your check book. However, you "could" simply buy a decent class C for around 10K and go fishing. Maybe your wife would agree. You should ask her.

I wish you all the luck in the world on your endeavor, but honestly, is it really worth it? I think its time to re-evaluate your project.

After all, it has been two years and three months, and you still have a very, very long way to go.

Don't hold back, tell me what you really think. Lol.

I respect your opinion, however, still I respectfully disagree with it.

Adding another "0" to my costs would amount to $83,000 dollars and seems just a little excessive, according to my calculations.

As far as having no value when finished, who knows? Maybe I'll have to put it on eBay, just to see what it might bring, with a reserve so high, no one will come near that, just for giggles!

Could I have bought a class C or maybe a class A? Perhaps. That being said, you may remember the final goal here, right from the start, is to end up with the inside of the rv looking like a house, and not an rv.

Even buying another rv, I would still have to remodel the inside in order to accomplish that. You are familiar with the term, "if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"?

It may look completely hopeless, but I don't think so. Time will tell.

Roadworthy? Right before I started this project, this was on the road, and inspected with our state inspection. Am I worried about that? Not in the least. After passing inspection last time, it shouldn't be a problem this time.

Anyhow, based on where I am at now, my best guess is, we'll end up somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000 until I am done. Then again, if I miss that, it would not be the first time I was wrong.

Time will tell.

Thanks for the post.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

Need more info...

More coming.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

I keep checking back to see if we're past the wheel wells yet. Nope! lol. Soon though...

Thanks for checking back. Will be past those annoying wheel wells shortly!

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is where the light bulb came on. As you know, I have been struggling with the wall/roof connection for a few months. Trying to figure out how to bend the angle steel to an angle that would suit my needs.

After reading STBRetired's post, then looking at their website, it occurred to me, "before I call this outfit online, I am going to call the guy that I have bought all my other steel from, for this project"!

So, I picked up the phone, and asked if he had flat stock in certain dimensions, and he said, "yes". I figured I could weld the flat stock together, as was suggested by others earlier.

Next question. "Do you have the ability to bend angle steel to an angle other than 90 degrees"? He asked, "you mean, more of a "V" shape instead of a 90"?

I answered, "yes".

He said, "sure, no problem. I have flat stock that I can cut, and then I can bend that to whatever angle you need"! "I can bend lengths up to 10 feet"!

WELL, DUH!!! I've been struggling with this for months, and one phone call, eliminates all the stress, provides the solution, and it's LOCAL! Should be done in a couple of days!

Talk about feeling like a BONEHEAD! LOL!!!

I went out and cut a pattern of the side and roof overhang, took it down to him, and he said, "no problem".

UGH! Less than 1 single hour, and the frustration is GONE!

So, yea, I was feeling really STUPID!!!!

* This post was edited 09/11/19 09:03pm by fulltimin *

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 03:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's not called "STUIPD", that's called "over thinking it".

Carry on...

ro_sie

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin, dont forget. this is YOUR project. Your money, your time and most of all, your decision. Just like it is mine to decide if I want to read your posts or not. We all have that choice. I do admire your fortitude. I was a tad bored with the wheel wells, but hey, you do need them. [emoticon] You havent lost me yet. I continue to read, even at 6:30 til 7am . As Bruce said, " Carry on".

ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 550  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS