RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 544  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can only hope this posts. I've been having problems getting into the site, so I'll give it a try.

Wahoo!!! Got the first part of my door frame complete. This part is about 1.5" x 1.5", which is where I wanted it to be.

Even with all the laminating of the layers of plywood, there is a small amount of flex in this, which is not surprising. I plan on adding a second layer inside this one, with the grain running a different direction for extra strength.

Hey, it won't be too long until we have a door in place, and will be able to seal them door up properly. Yay!

We'll see how it goes with my niece tomorrow, as to how much, if any I get to work on the door. YeeHaw!

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good news and bad news tonight.

Bad news is, I had a loooonnnngggg day with my niece working.

Good news, I still managed to get just a touch of work done in preparation for the beginning of the door assembly.

I have glued all but the bottom of the door, into the shape that I wanted. So, tonight I finished cutting and gluing some plywood to length that I need to finish the bottom of the door frame.

The red area, shows the pieces that will form the bottom of the door.

[image]

Tomorrow, I plan on cutting the piece above to length, and gluing/screwing that in place, and then I can put the outside skin on the frame. Yeehaw! Looking forward to getting a door in place to keep the elements out.

That will also allow me to see how this puppy will perform in the cold weather over the winter. Wahoo.....

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a miracle! An entire day without a post! OK, I'm hooked but on reading this silly topic! If I had a drawing with a bunch of arrow and lines I would post it just to keep those who can't go 24 hours without one happy.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled my partial door frame out and added a temporary bracket towards the bottom. This will be removed later, but I wanted it there to hold the lower area in place until I could get the bottom piece in place.

The bottom piece will be glued and screwed into place.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After screwing the temporary piece in place, I again test fit the frame portion, and as they say, "it fit like a glove".

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next was to add the piece at the bottom, and while I was doing that, I forgot to take pictures. Had my mind on other things while I was doing this, so I'll have to take them later, on how the bottom piece is fastened, assuming I remember.

I then removed the extra plywood inside the steel door frame, and again test fit the door itself. There is roughly 1/4" all around the door, which is what I was going for, as you can see here.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That should allow enough room to install some hinges, and still allow the door to swing without sticking.

Next was to glue the outside skin on to the frame of the door. I glued this together and then gave almost all of the inside of the skin a coat of Por 15.

As you can see, I did not remove the extra, temporary brace yet. I'll pull that out tomorrow, and finish the Por. Hey, nothing like adding some extra Por to the "Por House". Lol.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wanted to photo this last night but forgot, so here it is. This is how the bottom joint is put together on the door. There are a number of different joints that could be used, but I chose this one.

One of the simplest is to use the butt joint. As such, the glue line between the 2 items would be along the blue line only. I chose to add more surface glue area, (green line), which will strengthen the joint some. We now have glue on 2 different surfaces, running in different directions.

In addition to that, I used 3 Kreg screws, that were 2.5" long. They were put in at an angle, so as to not just get stuck in a glue joint where they would be more likely to split the wood/joint. Going across several layers of plywood will give the screw better holding strength. That is indicated by the red lines.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottom and side screws.

[image]

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After gluing the outside skin on the framing for the door, there was a little overhang of the plywood, as the plywood was cut slightly larger than the door framing.

It ended up looking like this.

[image]

Enter the correct router bit.....

[image]

The bearing rides on the door framing, and cuts the plywood overhang to the same size as the framing, and we end up with a piece that looks like this. Yay!

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 544  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS