RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 787  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled the clamps off today, and trimmed all the back sides the trim I just glued on. I may have to trim the fronts of the trim I put on there. I just haven't decided yet, but it's starting to look like that.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

Bill1374

northern New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/21 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kind of like the idea of a surface mount strip with the inside edge cut on a bevel. Then add zigzagrv's idea of a panel under the pull. Would give a very nice contrast and depth.

Bill

KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever grade you call that plywood, it's still going to look like you built plywood fronts surrounded by real wood trim. I know practical is more important to you than attractive, but a wood veneer would really dress up the fronts.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill1374 wrote:

I kind of like the idea of a surface mount strip with the inside edge cut on a bevel. Then add zigzagrv's idea of a panel under the pull. Would give a very nice contrast and depth.

Bill

LouLawrence wrote:

Whatever grade you call that plywood, it's still going to look like you built plywood fronts surrounded by real wood trim. I know practical is more important to you than attractive, but a wood veneer would really dress up the fronts.

Thanks for the posts. Stay tuned.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I finally made a decision. I removed the extra walnut sticking out of the front of the drawers.

I finally figured it would be easier to deal with, if the extra is no longer there, so it's GONE!

[image]

By the way. It takes longer to remove that extra than you might think. You know, pretty much like almost everything else you do when remodeling/rebuilding.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a bit of a close up pic of how the walnut has been applied. The drawing on the lower right, shows the top extends past the plywood edge, and then the walnut side is butted up against the bottom of the top piece of walnut.

That's for those "inquiring minds".

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next up is to cut some more walnut for the facing on the cabinet front, behind the drawers.

This walnut is roughly 2" thick. I used my Ryobi circular saw, and cut about 1 - 1/4" deep, then flipped the board over and cut from the other side.

Then I took it into the table saw, and proceeded to cut it to width. It was much easier to cut the first part off this way, instead of trying to run it through the table saw.

[image]

Then I cut it to length, (roughly), which made it easier to deal with on the table saw.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The red arrows show the trim just standing in place, with the blue arrow pointing to an area that I already have cut, but it wouldn't stand in place, so I took this pic as is.

The yellow area, I still need to cut 1 piece to fit in there, then I can glue them all in place. Wahoo!!

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wahoo!

Back in the saddle again. Been a severe heat wave around here for the last few days. Finally managed to get the air cond stuck in the one window to help cool things down to a level where I can work inside the moho.

It's time to glue the walnut to the plywood on the passenger side cabinet.

What do these 2 things have in common?

[image]

Well, when you have no container to put the glue in so it can be easily brushed onto a larger surface with a paint brush, and you're too lazy to go hunting for one .... You can make This!

[image]

Holds the glue very nicely, when made to be leak proof, and only takes a minute to do. Easy access with a paint brush.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I am dealing with gluing end grain of plywood, I like to put a coat on said end grain. It will soak in a bit, so I coat the plywood first.

[image]

I then flip the walnut around, and apply a coat to that as well, so I am sure it will provide a good grip.

[image]

At that time, it's time to either apply clamps, or use some nails to hold things in place while the glue dries.

This time, I opted for nails to attach the walnut to the plywood.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 787  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.