RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 360  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a pic of the section on the inside, with the ribs to help keep the plastic stiff.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I do need to flex the very end of the plastic, all I would need to do is to cut these ribs, and that would allow flexing of the last 2 inches of material. Cool, huh? Lol.

Hey, as I've said before, it's not rocket science.

[image]

ro_sie

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After you add the weight of the interior and then the weight of yourself and other camping items, how much more clearance are you going to lose?

ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Holiday Rambler Endeavor

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess this question might just as well be directed to Bill. How do you plan on applying the foam? Are you going to just shoot in on and leave it all lumpy and bumpy, or are you going to try to smooth it out with a putty knife or something similar? That stuff is really sticky and I don't know how well it will smooth out. Maybe the low expansion version that you use around windows and doors would work better.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ro_sie wrote:

After you add the weight of the interior and then the weight of yourself and other camping items, how much more clearance are you going to lose?

I don't think I'll lose much, if any. The air bags at the rear are not inflated to where I would normally run them.

Even before I started the rebuild, when traveling, with the rear bags inflated, the back end tended to be a little higher than the front.

If I went from 20 lbs up to 70 or 80, I think the max is 90, it would raise the back, (over top of the wheels, not the rear bumper), by several inches.

That clearance, doesn't really concern me, as long as the air bags are inflated. Like I mentioned earlier, at 6" from where the axle is now, the axle will bottom out on the frame, so if I leave about 8 inches or so, it should be okay.

If a tire blows, all bets are off, no matter how much clearance is there!

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

I guess this question might just as well be directed to Bill. How do you plan on applying the foam? Are you going to just shoot in on and leave it all lumpy and bumpy, or are you going to try to smooth it out with a putty knife or something similar? That stuff is really sticky and I don't know how well it will smooth out. Maybe the low expansion version that you use around windows and doors would work better.

Use the wife's rolling pin? Lol. Yea, NOT!

It maybe easier to just let it harden and then cut it to a rough shape?

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin wrote:

It maybe easier to just let it harden and then cut it to a rough shape?

That might make it more susceptible to damage as it kind of forma a "skin" on the surface and it seems to be easier to squish it once the skin is gone, at least in my experience. Let's see what Bill says, as he is the one with the experience lining wheel wells with it.

Wonder what you would get if you removed the tube and just let it splatter out from the nozzle without it. Have never tried that and don't have any in the garage to experiment with. Was wondering if you would get something like really messy gunite.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using a rubber seal of some sort between the plastic wheel cover and where it attaches to the floor will add a sound deadener and help seal the connection from water intrusion.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Using a rubber seal of some sort between the plastic wheel cover and where it attaches to the floor will add a sound deadener and help seal the connection from water intrusion.

I was planning on using the Chemlink M-1, which as you know from following this thread is an adhesive. It does have a little flex to it, but makes everything waterproof and very well sealed.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to ramble tonight. Oh, No. Oh, yes. Lol.

Someday's, things just seem to "come to ya", you know?

Today was one of those days.

By the time you are done reading this, surely you will say, this guy has totally lost his mind!

You're more than a half a bubble out of plumb.

Definitely, completely out of level.

I must admit, I've been struggling just a little with these wheel wells. Even with the plastic, I'm not 100% happy.

Today, I had a series of thoughts, that actually led to something that might actually work.

I don't know exactly what set me off, but my thought was, jokingly of course, maybe I'll just take a piece of cardboard and coat it with Por 15, and call it a wheel well. Lol. Duh.

My next thought was, forget the cardboard. All you need is a roll of paper towels, and Por 15. About 4 layers of cross linked paper towels, soaked with Por 15, and I am good to go. I actually hung over 60 lbs of weight on a piece of paper towel before it broke.

Then I laughed at myself out loud. That's just nuts. Paper towels for wheel wells. What a bonehead!

Then, I continued to think, just a little. Wait a minute.

Pastor Charlie suggested fiberglass. Por 15 can be used in place of fiberglass, according to their website. They claim it's actually harder than fiberglass.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 360  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS