RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 360  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, back the truck up! Guys have been using foam insulation, covering it with cloth, and then painting over top of it, and using that for boats for a long time. Yea, just paint. Say what?

Well, if that works, using some fiberglass cloth, and some Por 15 would make a great, solid, wheel well, if it's a couple of layers thick. Then again, so would fiberglass with the cloth.

Well, that would eliminate any seams, and would be one piece, including "ears" on the bottom to fasten to the bottom of the floor joists.

Here is a drawing which shows in red the pieces which would be fiberglass/Por 15 and is all one piece.

The black indicates the floor joists.

A little Chemlink M-1 between the red and black would eliminate any leaks, and, seal things from allowing water to get inside the coach.

[image]

Simple, huh? Yea, if only. Having that wheel well all in one piece would be great. Less chance of leaks, and should be fairly stiff.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the other hand, I have got to keep moving with other things til I get something ready to put into the wheel wells. I want to insulate the walls, with 3/4 inch foam insulation, glued to the inside of the wall that is already there.

That should help keep the cold from coming through the steel framing, and make the coach easier to heat and cool.

I was looking for 3/4 inch plywood, because I want to put some plywood on the walls in a few locations horizontally, so I can attach cabinets to them, and then insulate in between.

I want to put some 3" wide pieces of plywood on the walls, which will hold both the upper and lower cabinets in place.

Have you tried to buy 3/4 inch thick plywood lately? Dang near impossible. Nominal thickness = 3/4 inch. Actual = .703, or .719.

Say what? The insulation is .750 inches thick. I want .750 inch plywood. After fastening them on the wall, I can then cover the wall with some type of paneling, or something, and want a wall that is totally 3/4 inch thick. I don't want varying thickness in the wall, nor the ceiling.

That would make the wall wavy. No thanks.

I finally found some at Home Depot that is actually 3/4 inch thick. It is also fire resistant, and $52.00 a sheet or so, so it's not cheap. However, that would give me the flat wall I am looking for.

No, I did not buy any today, but it looks like I need to go shopping. I only need 2 sheets to cut up into 3" wide strips to give me the pieces I need.

Hope that all makes sense. Sometimes, what I am thinking, doesn't always wind up on paper, that way I that I wanted it to. Lol.

I warned you. This guy's nuts! Lol.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may be overthinking this whole process, but I like to give myself some options.

I think I just did that. Lol.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no idea how the fire resistance of the plywood is achieved... just be sure there aren't any chemicals in there that can react adversely with the frame.

Keep up the great work!

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL! POR 15 to the rescue!

They should start giving you the product fro free. Fiberglass cloth would probably be better than paper towels. Just inherently stronger. Building the mold will be the challenging part. That, and perhaps, finding a suitable release agent to get the final product out of the mold.

As for the plywood, joerg68 has a valid concern. Some fireproofing materials are not something you want to be up close and personal with on a regular basis. I'm not sure that the 1/32" difference will be all that noticeable when it comes time to finish the interior. I doubt that it would telegraph through 1/4" ply.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What will you use as a vapor barrier?

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joerg68 wrote:

I have no idea how the fire resistance of the plywood is achieved... just be sure there aren't any chemicals in there that can react adversely with the frame.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks!

I would imagine some type of chemicals for the fire retarding. It is also pressure treated.

After doing some more research, I discovered, there is a match between supposedly 1/2" insulation, which is actually .56", and 19/32" plywood, which is actually .563". That's a match in my book!

It's also much cheaper than the 3/4" plywood. I'll have to look at it at the store, but I may do that. 1/2" plywood should be fine to hold cabinets.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

LOL! POR 15 to the rescue!

They should start giving you the product fro free. Fiberglass cloth would probably be better than paper towels. Just inherently stronger. Building the mold will be the challenging part. That, and perhaps, finding a suitable release agent to get the final product out of the mold.

As for the plywood, joerg68 has a valid concern. Some fireproofing materials are not something you want to be up close and personal with on a regular basis. I'm not sure that the 1/32" difference will be all that noticeable when it comes time to finish the interior. I doubt that it would telegraph through 1/4" ply.

Yay for the Por 15 to the rescue! Lol.

I agree fiberglass cloth is stronger, but how will I be able to brag about putting my motor home together with paper towels? Lol. No, I DO NOT plan on using paper towels for the wheel wells. Would they work? Probably, but I am not going to use them.

As I said above, I just discovered a match between roughly, 1/2" plywood and 1/2" insulation. The insulation is at Lowes, and the insulation is at Home Depot. Go figure.

fulltimin

View Profile

PastorCharlie wrote:

What will you use as a vapor barrier?

If the next layer of wall is sealed between the plywood and the insulation, (ChemLink M-1), do you think a vapor barrier is really necessary?

Starting at the floor and working my way up will be, Chemlink, plywood, Chemlink, insulation, Chemlink, plywood, Chemlink, insulation, etc until I get to the ceiling, and the area between the wall and ceiling corner will probably have spray foam insulation, to seal the corner.

The insulation portion is supposed to be a vapor barrier. The plywood can always be covered with Por 15.

What's your best guess?

fulltimin

View Profile

I did get started on making the wheel well form. Below is a pic of where it stands now.

I used 1/8" plywood, also known as 2.7mm. I already had the outside frame made from a couple of days ago, so using a piece of 24" wide plywood, and then cutting a couple of pieces for the sides, and it went well.

The white stuff in the corners, is Por 15 Patch, which is basically just Por 15 which is a little thicker. That should be dry, even as we speak. I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 360  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS