RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 382  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These 2 circles show an area a little more than half way up the wall, where an extra piece of steel has been welded on the inside of the wall frame.

I need to bend another piece for the top of those 2 pieces, that I can weld into place, and use for the rest of the door frame. After that is welded in, I can then insulate the rest of this area.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is what happens when you have a can of Por 15, with a lid on, that is not as air tight as you thought. Oops.

The top of the liquid got hard, while underneath it, is still liquid.

I took a small screw driver, and a hammer, to poke a hole in the hardened skin on the top. (Ugh, you used a hammer and a screwdriver, and pounded on said screwdriver? What kind of redneck does that?) Lol.

Oh, admit it. You've done the same thing at one time or another.

My point is, that skin was hard and tough, and I could not get the screwdriver through it, until I pulled out the hammer for some additional assistance.

I didn't lose as much as I thought I had, so that is a plus. I poured the liquid into other containers, so we are good to go.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, next step is to create a jig to contain the steel, like I did with the roof joists, to be able to bend it.

Hopefully, that will work as well as it did for the roof, especially since I only need to bend one of these.

After that is welded in place, I can finish insulating the wall, and that will complete the wall insulation for the coach portion.

I will deal with the cab area later.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a pic of the jig I made for bending the steel roof joists.

Looking at the bottom section, you can see that I cut some slits in the steel and bent them, then welded them in place, in order to get the correct bend that I wanted for those joists.

[image]

After surveying the situation for the rest of the door frame, I think my best bet is to just take another piece of steel, cut the slits, weld it back together, and call it a day.

The door frame has to be bent the 1" way, instead of the 1.5" way.

Since I only have one of these to make instead of a dozen, and the top of the door frame really is not a structural piece, I think that will work.

I'll make a pattern tomorrow, (I hope), then cut my piece of steel, and weld it into the shape I want. Then, hopefully, tomorrow, I can weld it into place, and call that area about done. After that, I can finish insulating the side wall.

Not sure I'll get all of that done, but I'll give it a good shot.

Thanks, weatherman, for the 50/50 chance of snow this weekend! Well, at least it's not rain. Lol.

That's it for tonight. Had a bunch of other running I needed to get done today, so I didn't have a lot of time to work. Hoping to have extra time tomorrow Yay!

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Started making a new piece for the top of the door frame. First step was to get a rough estimate of the length I needed.

I just happened to have a leftover piece of 1" x 1.5" x 60" piece of steel, and after a quick measurement, that looked like it should work, with just a little left over.

First step is measure to the center of the piece and mark it.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next up is to make a cut through the top and both sides, leaving only the bottom section in place, so it can be bent easily.

I also marked every inch for 10" on each side of the center line, but only fully marked every other line.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I then cut through at every 2" mark to start.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next step is take a strap and see how it bends.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, I went back and cut through the top and sides at every 1" mark, 10" on each side of the center, and now the bend looks like this.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next step was to measure every 4 inches away from the last 1" cut. I marked 4 of those, but only cut 3 of them, (indicated by arrows), and then the bend looked like this.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 382  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS