RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 382  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then I added cut at every 2" in between the 4" measurements, and then added 1" cuts towards the bottom, shown in the red circles.

We're getting closer.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still too wide at the bottom. Time for more cuts.

I added cuts at the one inch mark, so that all the area inside the red arrows, are now cut at 1" intervals.

The area inside the yellow circle, is still cut at 2" intervals.

And we are still too wide.

Not only are we too wide, the shape doesn't suit me, either.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, lets just finish the rest of the piece with all 1" interval cuts, with the exception of the bottom 4 inches on each side, and see what we end up with.

Now we can bend this puppy even farther than it needs to be, as indicated by the yellow circles. That is where the new piece needs to be attached to.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now I relaxed the strap just a little bit, and we have a nice fit at the bottom. The arch suits me just fine, and although the top is just a little higher than I want it. I have 4 inches on each side, that can be removed, before I start hitting the cut marks.

That would bring the top down by 4 inches, which should be nearly perfect. If I need to, I could cut a little more off the bottom, to drop the top of the door just a little bit.

All in all, I am satisfied with the shape, and now, all I need to do is weld the slots shut, do a little grinding, and we're good to go.

Is there a better way to do this? Probably. Making a template and taking it to a place that can bend steel, would have been easier, (maybe), but until I got done making the template, running it to have a piece bent, and then bringing it home. ? Well, I figure it's almost as quick, doing it this way.

Besides, what fun would that be? Lol. Hey, if I wanted everything to be easy, I'd have just bought another rv and eliminated all the work.

Then again, I would not have learned anything, either.

So, here's where we stand tonight, and welding to start tomorrow. (I hope)!

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a pic from today, where I took the piece of steel that I had cut all the slits in, and a pair of clamps and clamped it into place.

The 2 red circles, show the very bottom which has about 4 inches that is uncut. The very top, (red arrow), shows this is a little higher than I would like.

So, before doing any tack welding, I cut about 2.5" off of the bottom.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After cutting the bottom off, that lowered the top of the door frame, and is now about where I wanted it. You can see by the red arrow, that there is now room at the top between the top of the doorway and the top of the wall frame.

The bottom of the arch with the red circles, can be seen only about 1.5" to the first cut slit.

Good news! I didn't forget how to use the welder! Lol.

I tack welded the inside, also the front side, then turned it around and tack welded the back side. That was all done with the clamps in place.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After all the tack welding, I pulled the clamps off, and as seen by the red circles, the welding only pulled the arch together just a tiny bit.

The left side is off by maybe 1/8", and the right side by about 1/16". Anytime steel gets welded, especially like this, the heat is going to pull the steel one way or the other.

It's something to be aware of. What I'll do next is to slightly pull the bottom apart and clamp it, and then finish the welding. After the welding, comes a little grinding to smooth things out, and then, weld the bottom in place.

Overall, the arch looks pretty uniform all the way around. I plan on getting that welded together and ground tomorrow.

By the way - snow forecast for tomorrow night into Sunday. Amount = a dusting to a plowable snow, whatever that is. Lol.

It'll be, whatever it'll be. Leave it alone long enough, and it will melt.

[image]

I was hoping to get this fully welded, and welded in place today, but it just didn't happen.

Goodnight folks! Bedtime.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The arch top door just an asthetic choice? Your original door was rectangular.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

The arch top door just an asthetic choice? Your original door was rectangular.

Partially. I want to make a dutch door, so I can open the top half, while leaving the bottom closed.

Just like the rest of this build - something different.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps a round window or a porthole? Going to stay with the standard rectangular windows for the rest of the MH? Maybe frameless? Was at the Gulf RV show yesterday and the frameless windows look slick. Bet they cut down on wind noise while underway as long as they seal properly.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 382  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS