RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 441  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After I tried it with the insulation running sideways, I decided to try it with the insulation running long ways, which I could not get to work earlier.

What I did was to put the piece of insulation against the roof, without bending it. That would be what the red arrow is pointing to.

The blue arrow shows I added a second piece of insulation underneath the first one.

Below that, I took 2 pieces of plywood, (green circle), and held it in place, and then put a brace underneath that and slowly added pressure from side to side, until the top piece of insulation was fully seated.

You can see inside the yellow circle that the piece of insulation I put up there has one of the score lines on it, running the same direction as the one in the center. That means the short piece is running the long way instead of sideways.

Evidently, having that extra piece of insulation on the bottom, spreads out the force of the braces, enough, that it will bend and not snap.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a closer pic of the bottom of the piece of insulation that is against the ceiling. The green arrows show that the bottom side of the insulation has sort of wrinkled.

Compression will do all kinds of funny things.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a close up of the opposite side and it too is wrinkled just a little bit.

You have to remember, this piece is running lengthwise, (which is the stiffer way), and not crosswise. Running the insulation sideways like I did on the rest of them, did not wrinkle the insulation like this.

You can also see that the top piece of insulation is not split, or cracked, in either photo.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Continuing this process, I filled in 5 of these "holes" on the passenger side. I will leave them sit for 2 days for the adhesive to cure.

This pic shows the back half of the coach.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This pic is of the front half, with some overlap. That means half of the right side now has insulation installed. Hopefully, in a couple of days, I'll get to finish the other 5 slots.

That's where we stand at the moment. Yippee! Lol.

[image]

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent! Looks like the insulation part is nearing its end.

And congratulations - at almost 4000 replies (3974 as I am writing this), today is the first time I saw your thread at the top of the "Popular" page! It may have been up there before, I am not actively watching ;-)

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that most of your ceiling is done, was there consideration for a company that does spray foam insulation for your job? Those ceiling ribs would make good runners for screeding to level off after it cured.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking good! Glad to see that you found a way to use the pieces of insulation you had cut off.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joerg68 wrote:

Excellent! Looks like the insulation part is nearing its end.

And congratulations - at almost 4000 replies (3974 as I am writing this), today is the first time I saw your thread at the top of the "Popular" page! It may have been up there before, I am not actively watching ;-)

Glad to be getting near the end of the insulation.

Thanks for the congrats. I don't check it all the time, but this thread is usually near the top of the (Popular) page. Has been for quite a while.

Should be hitting the 4000 shortly.

Glad to have you along for the ride, and again, Thank You. [emoticon]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tarnold wrote:

Now that most of your ceiling is done, was there consideration for a company that does spray foam insulation for your job? Those ceiling ribs would make good runners for screeding to level off after it cured.

I never really gave it much consideration. I know spray foam is very quick, especially if having the pro's do it. Would have been done probably in a day, or two at the most.

I wanted what I figured was the extra strength that I figured the foam board would provide.

I had read of a couple people who used spray foam, and over time due to vibration and slight movement in an rv, that the foam started to fail.

There may have been other conditions that also led to the failure, but I figured, the stronger the better, which is why I went with the foam board.

Using the Chemlink M-1 for adhesive creates a very strong bond. I have a couple of pieces of foam "glued" with Chemlink and I cannot break the bond between the 2. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 441  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS